Do any of you think that being an INFJ is related of a suboptimal childhood environment? | INFJ Forum

Do any of you think that being an INFJ is related of a suboptimal childhood environment?

xh*^T

May 3, 2020
MBTI
INFJ-A
Been playing with the though for a while.

I been raised by a Narcissist father and a borderline mother. I also talked to a lot of INFJs who connected this type to childhood trauma.

My exact theory is something like.. being an INFJ is like accepting that unfairness, and the need to rescue is somehow part of "normal".

Me, personally, I find myself mess things up totally when things go right. Either with drinking alcohol, spending money like an idiot, or other self-sabotage.

Maybe it is not true, but I'd need to hear your thoughts, experiences on this.

If none of you relate to this, still, that is something I will know too.

Have a great day and (as I learned this phrase from an INFJ lady on Quora), keep it weird LOL

Been playing with the though for a while.

I been raised by a Narcissist father and a borderline mother. I also talked to a lot of INFJs who connected this type to childhood trauma.

My exact theory is something like.. being an INFJ is like accepting that unfairness, and the need to rescue is somehow part of "normal".

Me, personally, I find myself mess things up totally when things go right. Either with drinking alcohol, spending money like an idiot, or other self-sabotage.

Maybe it is not true, but I'd need to hear your thoughts, experiences on this.

If none of you relate to this, still, that is something I will know too.

Have a great day and (as I learned this phrase from an INFJ lady on Quora), keep it weird LOL
I had a conversation about this with someone on here a while back, except that the 'output' of such abuse was creativity rather than 'INFJ'.

There may be some link, but there also seems to be an equal number of examples of INFJs with happy, stable childhoods.

Children of narcissistic parents can often grow up to become people pleasers, this is true, but again it's difficult to pinpoint causes or to say for sure.

This seems like a technical question with an objective answer, though I can definitely see the logic of an argument to the positive.

I read a study once that stated certain types of mbti were more likely to experience PTSD from the exact same circumstances. It was correlation equals causation definitely but I vaguely remember infj istp and infp were amongst the type.

I like that some of the tests like 16personalities has a for assertive and t for turbulent as part of the result because of this.

On instinct I would say no simply because if you have a family with siblings they'll have different personalities but have experienced the same childhood.

I would think that traumatic childhoods in infj and other introverted intuitive types, inxx may seem more common because inxx tend to be very introspective and dwell on things.

An estp is far less likely to get into mbti and thus less likely to talk about childhood trauma in conjunction with it

The saying "We're a product of our environment." is absolutely true.

However, there is a biological component to our personality that cannot be denied. We can only become that which is within the range of our physical abilities, our genetic coding.

Look at your family members and the environments each grew up in. Find siblings, same parents preferably, same sex and approximate age. Chances are their personalities reflect each other's but are not the same.

Last edited: