Discerning The Spirits | INFJ Forum

Discerning The Spirits

I have been told NOTHING specifically for the past two years concerning something, so I have been testing it. It has all the warning signs. It could be filled with deceit. It could be otherwise. One door was opened early on. I know some doors swing both ways.
Some doors stay opened, and some doors close. Use this example as an explanation of a partial explanation.

Test all things; hold fast what is good (1 Thessalonians 5:21). Will this be good for everyone?

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
I have been told NOTHING specifically for the past two years concerning something, so I have been testing it. It has all the warning signs. It could be filled with deceit. It could be otherwise. One door was opened early on. I know some doors swing both ways.
Some doors stay opened, and some doors close. Use this example as an explanation of a partial explanation.

Test all things; hold fast what is good (1 Thessalonians 5:21). Will this be good for everyone?

Hmmmm.
I would read your tarot cards but I don’t think you would appreciate me doing so on your behalf.
Interestingly enough, growing up in the Mormon religion, we were taught that only a good spirit/entity would offer to shake your hand.
I don’t remember it being a specific teaching, but I remember it nonetheless.
Reading into things of a spiritual nature there could actually be something to that.
I believe it has to do a lot with your own intentions and boundaries you have to set.
Make it loud and clear that no negative spirits or entities may reside or influence those who either live or visit your home.
Say prayers of protection out loud in every room (open all the windows), if you can get holy water you can sprinkle it in the four corners of each room.
Or you can burn sage or frankincense.
I personally like to state that my house is not only off limits to anything negative, but it is in fact not visible to any negative spirit.
You can bury blessed St. medals in the four corners of your property.

Was told by a man the other day how a man might be given several chances, then they seem to stop by his inaction.

Told him God never gives up on His children, and that God would never forsake you.

Discerning the spirits that spoke those words, I would say the first was imagined by man for man. I would say the second came from God.

Ecclesiastes 3
3 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

If you're a Christian, which you are, one simple way, among the many of discerning the spirits - if they are good or evil - is simply comparing the alleged 'message', 'encounter', or 'practice', with the Scriptures. If a message contradicts the Scripture then one can discern that message as false, and if the message coems from some spiritual entity then the source of that said message can be discerned as diabolic (i.e. someone has an experience of some entity telling them "God wants you to kill person X" - which contradicts "Thou shalt not kill" and Jesus' precepts to love and turn the other cheek etc.). If a practice is forbidden under the moral law in the Old or New Testament (excluding the laws/decrees of sanctification which are not morally binding codes - i.e. dietary laws, washing of hands etc.) - such as practices of divination - then in a Christian perspective (taking it for granted that a Christian is one who at least believes the Scriptures are the inspired Word of God) such practices can be discerned as wrong, and therefore any spiritual encounters that result from such practices as coming from 'bad spirits'.

This is in addition to praying to God for enlightenment and rebuking evil in the Name of Jesus to depart from oneself - which @Skarekrow, although holding different views, touched upon.

Then there are matters which are less blatantly clear. Seeking counsel from others whom you trust, who have a deep prayer life; and praying oneself, whilst trying ones best to live a good, selfless life, will, I believe, result in the clarity one seeks. Since "Ask and you shall receive" - if it's a good thing that is, which seeking the truth in regards to bad/good spirits is indeed.

Of course all of the above is a traditional Christian view, and I'm well aware others will disagree almost completely. I'm just answering the question in a manner relevant to you as a Christian :)

Matthew 4King James Version (KJV)
4 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,

6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

@Night Owl you are correct in knowing the scriptures. Sometimes just knowing the scriptures can give one an almost immediate knowledge of what is going on. Many people come that are wolves in sheep's clothing. I like wolves, but we are speaking in terms of the analogy used in the scriptures. The scriptures also mention the whole armor of God.

Ephesians 6:10-18
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

This even shares with us what we are fighting. Too often man considers he is fighting other men.

Reactions: Gaze and Night Owl
If it has all these warning signs, what is there to test? sounds like you are past that stage

Am I the only person to experience these things? I think not. The original question was how do YOU try the spirits.

Do you know the meaning of "as above, so below"?

And I don't mean that silly movie which is occupying Google searches.
Please explain how you would see the meaning for us.

It means that all things are connected as that which is below is a microcosm of what is above. You are a creative force just as the universe is a creative force. If you will for discernment then you will have it.

If there were any other special way of doing it, there would be no confusion as everyone could simply follow the directions.

Ask and you shall receive. This has several meanings. One of those meanings is to have faith that things will be revealed.

The original question was how do YOU try the spirits.

Oops. Haha. I thought you were asking: "How do you try the spirits?" not "How do you try the spirits?" Funny English language.

Sometimes I set them an exam, if they get 80% I'll discern they must be okay.

(The Scriptures can easily be interpreted in a false way - such according to one's fancy; as you allude to by mentioning the 'wolves'. This is where interpreting Scripture in the light of tradition/oral teaching handed down and the guide of teachers of authority (Magesterium), comes in, for Catholics per say. But different Christian groups take different approaches).

Last edited:
Interestingly, a common principle espoused in Catholic mystical theology and spirituality is that encounters with evil spirits often begin as pleasant, but end as unpleasant and leave one feeling disturbed. Whereas encounters with good spirits (angels, the souls of the saints, God) often begin as unpleasant and fearsome on one level, but in the end leave one with a sense of deep interior peace, dispelling any negativeness.

Even then, there is a spiritual teaching that holds that one ought to spurn anything that one has the slightest doubts about as having divine origin; and even then, to consult with others before acting on a 'received message' or accepting it as 'good' or 'true', as a means of 'testing the spirits'. Unless, as Teresa of Avila puts it, the message is so trivial and in conformity with truth (i.e. One receives an intuitive prompt to go over and offer a friendly word to someone struggling) - then whether from a good spirit, or a bad spirit, one needn't spend their time trying to figure it out, but should just act on it as something which rationally through faith makes good sense anyway. I've heard of someone trying to discern whether God wanted them to use salt or pepper. This is ridiculous. In my view, God has given us a brain, and we're to use it to its utmost while letting reason be guided and transcended by faith, especially in matters which exceed comprehensibility.

Additionally there is the notion that private revelations (those private spiritual experiences which are necessary and important) ought to be held lightly, or at least 'put in their proper place', and ought never be something one places their faith in in and of itself, and should, in the Christian sense, be examined in the light of Public Revelation - i.e. those things contained in Scripture - which one alone should place their faith in as infallible truth.

Yet again - this is a particular Christian view. So not all will agree by any means :p

God has given us a brain, and we're to use it to its utmost while letting reason be guided and transcended by faith, especially in matters which exceed comprehensibility

Good post mate. I'm reminded of something I heard or read a while back. In fact, I barely remember it at all, but the point is some fella was having a mystical experience and felt everything as one. He had to go pee-pee and decided to do it where he stood because if everything is one, then everything is the bathroom.

I need to work on my faith. I also need help with that...

Reactions: Siimplicity