Violet

Lucky
Aug 2, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
don't know
Hi everyone,

I have a problem and was wondering if other INFJs out there have experienced the same problem.

I have been looking for jobs in the hospitality industry (movie theatres, hotels, etc.) and some customer service jobs and when I apply they often ask me to answer behavioral questions or complete personality tests. I feel that most of the time, if not all, I fail to get the job because I fail the personality tests/questionnaires. It’s really annoying and disappointing. It seems like they don’t like us INFJs out there in those positions. Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Wow, personality tests? Never had that done before, but I guess it makes sense to show preference to people who are more outgoing and sociable. Idk, if you can muster the energy to be passably pleasant to customers/co-workers (i.e. you're not so glaringly introverted that it causes you physical pain to interact with people or something), I wouldn't think it's so bad to stretch the truth a bit on a test like that.

You have to lie if you want those kinds of jobs.
They want to hear that you are outgoing and vivacious and can't stand being alone.

You have to lie if you want those kinds of jobs.
They want to hear that you are outgoing and vivacious and can't stand being alone.

Yep basically.

You should consider that if you can't pass the behavioral test then you won't like those jobs anyways. Maybe try to get into a new line of work. Those behavioral tests test your honesty too so if you try to cheat the test they might catch it and think you are a big phony.

When I worked in customer service or as a restaurant server, I wanted to kill everyone in the world.
What is it that is appealing to you about that sector?

Last edited:
Thanks for replying everyone.

I do enjoy talking to people and meeting new people. I don’t think you have to be highly outgoing to do well in those kinds of jobs. You can be an introvert but still succeed. We have our own way of connecting with people.
It’s not easy to lie on those tests because they ask the same question in a zillion different ways and the tests will catch you if you contradict yourself. :(

I do enjoy talking to people and meeting new people. I don’t think you have to be highly outgoing to do well in those kinds of jobs. You can be an introvert but still succeed. We have our own way of connecting with people.

But the idiots who designed the test don't see it that way. I've taken these tests and passed them. You have to lie. Pretend that you're a really cheerful, outgoing person who never gets depressed, angry, or anxious. As far as the lie detector questions go, look for words like "always" and "never."

Thanks for replying everyone.

It’s not easy to lie on those tests because they ask the same question in a zillion different ways and the tests will catch you if you contradict yourself. :(

You don't have to be an extrovert but you do need to be outgoing. What kind of hospitality experience do you have?

I'm studying event management. I have worked in a customer service capacity in retail stores but not much hospitality experience.

I'm studying event management. I have worked in a customer service capacity in retail stores but not much hospitality experience.

Just play the game. I took that test and was aware that they test your honesty. If you see questions related to the same personality trait or concept such as honesty, then answer those questions in a similar way. You can even answer them slightly different from each other to make it look more realistic. You can usually go back and double check your answers too. It's a super easy test to beat. I did it and the hiring manager acted surprised by how high I scored.

Yes this bothers me as well, but you have to lie. The best lie is that you are an ESTJ-ESTP in my opinion. Extroverted because they need team players, and good sellers. S because you should be practical, and don't think too much. T because they want you to be an emotionless businessman in your future.

If that makes you feel any better, I am fighting with this issue as well. I am highly introverted and I don't like to work in a team which in HR language basicly translates to : "I don't want to work, I want to be homeless". Even for jobs like software engineer, they want you to be bubbly, team player and etc...

Yes this bothers me as well, but you have to lie. The best lie is that you are an ESTJ-ESTP in my opinion. Extroverted because they need team players, and good sellers. S because you should be practical, and don't think too much. T because they want you to be an emotionless businessman in your future.

If that makes you feel any better, I am fighting with this issue as well. I am highly introverted and I don't like to work in a team which in HR language basicly translates to : "I don't want to work, I want to be homeless". Even for jobs like software engineer, they want you to be bubbly, team player and etc...

Thanks for your suggestions.

S because you should be practical, and don't think too much.

looks like we have another asshole N on board.

You probably understand MBTI way more than the people administering these tests. This makes it super easy to fudge the results, and they probably won't catch on, even if you don't alter your behaviour to suit the personality you presented on the test. You know, confirmation bias and the power of suggestion.

But, it is difficult to predict how these people will interpret the results. I'm sure they have some kind of HR handbook that they follow blindly. That would be a nice thing to have access to.

I seriously doubt that multiple managers would be saying to themselves "Wow, this person is clearly qualified for the position and the interview went great, but hang on... INFJ? FAIL!"

I seriously doubt that multiple managers would be saying to themselves "Wow, this person is clearly qualified for the position and the interview went great, but hang on... INFJ? FAIL!"

I agree. The problem may not just be the test. The service sector really puts a huge emphasis on what kind of impression you make in an interview room because, think if you think about it, the entire industry is based on how well employees get along with clients at first blush.

It would be a good idea to see how well you interview and make the necessary tweaks. Interviewing, like anything else, is a skill and can be learned. A lot of career centers host free seminars and how-to's. Some even have one-on-one sessions. You can book an appointment with a career consultant and get them to do a trial interview with you and give you some constructive criticism. It's an important thing to learn because it can mean the difference between your dream job and settling. Go investigate what you're doing wrong, (even get some feedback from previous interviewers if you can), learn from it, and get back out there. :)

I doubt it has anything to do with MBTI really. I have taken several of them over the years. They are usually designed to look for traits such as honesty, being a team player, anxiety and/or agression issues. They do ask the same question multiple times with sllight variations like you would see on an MBTI test. Generally the answers are fed into a program that spits out a profile. Like someone mentioned, if your test results come back with "moody loner" then you are less likely to get offered a job that deals with the public. You should be questioning if you really want such a people intensive job anyway.

I wonder if the idea of the "planning" is what is appealling. I have organized large events at my university. The work entails meeting with demanding people and coordinating several different groups in order to get products and people where they are needed. If you don't like conflict and aren't good at being direct and following up with others, you will not succeed easily. Getting people to do what you need and be where you need them is essential, you must have the skill to work with numerous personalities and engender their good will for your cause.

I would say, put on your "work personality" before you take that test.

looks like we have another asshole N on board.

I had to use a stereotype to make my point. My point was that employers don't want somebody who is living in his/her head. But this is offtopic that is why I didn't want to get into much explaining.

I had to use a stereotype to make my point. My point was that employers don't want somebody who is living in his/her head. But this is offtopic that is why I didn't want to get into much explaining.

Calling something offtopic is a good way to not have to explain your rude attitude.