Did I make a social faux-pas?

Leticia Mejor

Community Member
Apr 4, 2011
MBTI
ENTP mmm
Enneagram
????
So, I was hanging out with a few friends at around 12:00am Feb 19th. During our conversations it came up that one of my new friends, Paul, had a birthday that day. I wasn't sure if I had heard correctly, so later I asked Paul if he indeed was born on the 19th and he replied that he was. I then wished him a happy birthday as did my other friends. Later that day many of the same people who had wished Paul a happy birthday in person, wished him a happy birthday on facebook. However, I didn't wish him a happy birthday on facebook as I felt it was unnecessary--- I had given him my wishes earlier the same day. Incidentally, it's my birthday today (20th), and all but two of my friends who I saw the night of the 18th/ morning of the 19th have wished me a happy birthday on facebook. One is Ralph, who's extremely awkward/strange and doesn't have good social skills--- the other is Paul (who's been online). Is it possible that Paul feels hurt and slighted that I didn't wish him a happy b day
on facebook? 2Is that reasonable behavior? Or am I just reading waay too much into this?

I think you're reading too much into it. I wished my little cousin a happy bday through text but I also put it on his fb (mainly because he's a 19 yr old boy that hardly responds back when I call him). He only responded back to me on fb even though we text all the time. So I wouldn't really think about it too much... sometimes people don't always pay attention to all the mediums of communication they have.

Oh. I don't really wish anyone happy birthday on facebook or otherwise. I think you're just fine. I wouldn't worry!

This is just more evidence that Facebook is killing us all. Too many people get hurt about things that shouldn't matter, like not posting happy birthday on Facebook. I personally love that Facebook reminds me when birthdays are because I would otherwise forget and since Facebook reminds everybody when birthdays are, is it really all that meaningful to say happy birthday on Facebook? I think an in person sentiment would be much more meaningful. Just my thought on the idea. My other thought is down with Facebook and every other social media, people take them way too seriously.

Reactions: bionic
Thanks for your replies, I think my in person best wishes were sufficient, if not... there's probably something wrong with him. It is, once again, a case of me reading too much into things.