Describe your pecieving function?

wolly.green

Permanent Fixture
Jul 20, 2016
MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
How do you experience your perceiving functions? Is your experience the same as that described by typology theory?

Extroverted Intuition: Although typology theory describes this function as "seeing possibilities from the external world", I find this characterization so limiting its basically wrong. To me, every time I think about a problem, extroverted intuition works by giving me many different intuitions all at once. Its like my mind is suddenly flooded with many possible interpretations, insights and solutions all at once. Sometimes this process has almost nothing to do with the external world. In fact, this process almost never has anything to do with anything outside my own head.

What about you?

Last edited:
It's definitely fair to say that "internal/external" is vague enough that it can apply in different senses in functions theory. Originally, Jung intended introvert/extravert as a catch-all for something related to the mind/external dichotomy, but it's noteworthy that he seems to have not fully clarified how this was different from his concept of intuition/sensation, and I think this is very related to why it's kind of awkward to refer to Ne as "externally" directed. It doesn't seem the "right" definition of Ne. I confess that I like socionics better on this particular count.

From our discussion on good explanations being "hard to vary," one could say that a way I relate to this is that an explosion of interpretations is a pretty natural situation to find myself in, and it's a short leap from there to asking about how easy it is to vary them so they still fit. This always struck me as a bit more of a irrational>rational function focus, as it seems like the N counterpart to what S might ask for in terms of throwing a battery of empirical tests at a given theory -- the obvious difference being that, instead of asking if the theory predicts the outcomes correctly, the more instances the better, here we begin with an explosion of interpretations and see when they're isomorphic.

Reactions: Bellosome