Resident palindrome
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 21, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Dear Everyone Dating an INFJ, I promise it is worth it.
At first you cannot believe how well you get along, how well they understand you, how attentively they listen, and how much they care. They seem to understand how you feel better than you do!

Then you notice they don't readily share their own stories or feelings, and that makes you paranoid.

And they are very slow to open up... so you think that, even after weeks of dancing around the idea that you could be a couple, you don't have "a connection", or that they are "not interested".

And, to be honest, you don't understand them at all. You think you figured them out, but then realize you didn't.

And then they begin to open up, but you say one tiny thing that makes them second guess you... and you don't even know what that tiny thing was. (For example, during a romantic moment they said something meaningful and deep that took courage to say, and you replied, "I need a sandwich." signaling you don't feel the same way. You don't even remember that, but they do.)

If you are looking for a deep relationship with a loyal person who truly cares about how you feel and your needs, hang in there. It is worth it. INFJs just need time to 'unfold'. All that 'magical unicorn of the MBTI' stuff may be a huge exaggeration, but we are a bit like woodland creatures who must learn to trust you before we allow ourselves to become vulnerable.

I'm so sick of you motherfuckers ditching my INFJ friends because you want instant satisfaction in a relationship. You want to rip open the Kool-Aid packet, pour it into water and stir to get an instant "meaningful, long-term relationship", but to get the kind of juice you crave you need to let the fruit blossom and grow on the tree.

At first you cannot believe how well you get along, how well they understand you, how attentively they listen, and how much they care. They seem to understand how you feel better than you do!

Then you notice they don't readily share their own stories or feelings, and that makes you paranoid.

And they are very slow to open up... so you think that, even after weeks of dancing around the idea that you could be a couple, you don't have "a connection", or that they are "not interested".

And, to be honest, you don't understand them at all. You think you figured them out, but then realize you didn't.

And then they begin to open up, but you say one tiny thing that makes them second guess you... and you don't even know what that tiny thing was. (For example, during a romantic moment they said something meaningful and deep that took courage to say, and you replied, "I need a sandwich." signaling you don't feel the same way. You don't even remember that, but they do.)

If you are looking for a deep relationship with a loyal person who truly cares about how you feel and your needs, hang in there. It is worth it. INFJs just need time to 'unfold'. All that 'magical unicorn of the MBTI' stuff may be a huge exaggeration, but we are a bit like woodland creatures who must learn to trust you before we allow ourselves to become vulnerable.

I'm so sick of you motherfuckers ditching my INFJ friends because you want instant satisfaction in a relationship. You want to rip open the Kool-Aid packet, pour it into water and stir to get an instant "meaningful, long-term relationship", but to get the kind of juice you crave you need to let the fruit blossom and grow on the tree.
Well said...thank you from the depths of my INFJ heart ;-)

Now I really want a sandwich!

And while I've never been romantically involved with an INFJ, one of my besties is one and it is such a great and fulfilling friendship. I like to think my ENTJ meshes well with her...but I think it would be a difficult mix in a relationship context.

OMG, WHY IS MY AD-BLOCKER NOT WORKING?!?!

Can I hire you as my personal matchmaker? People in LA tend to prefer making Kool-Aid rather than using ripe fruit for their juice when it comes to dating. Although ironically, they are really into drinking healthy juices made from fresh fruits and vegetables when it comes to their diets.

@dang -- :/ I've met some unmaterialistic, deep and kind people in LA. I think if you can find the LA I'm speaking of, you'll be golden.
I don't think it is that different on the East Coast.

Reactions: dang