benny

Regular Poster
May 4, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
?
Dinner and a movie? Again? :mpff:

What fun, interesting, creative, etc. types of dates have you been on, or would like to go on?

Recently went to the local botanical garden at midnight and had drinks under the stars.

A number of years ago I dated this guy who used to take me to this Indian bar/restraunt. They had hooka pipes with flavoured tobacco out the back. We used to have drinks and share a pipe sitting next to the stream and looking at the stars and then would go for a walk around the city afterwards.

Sometimes I find simple is better...but I guess it depends on the person. If you're not sure how it could go more activity might be good in case there are awkward silences.

Good luck!

I didn't really consider it a date but I suppose it was...gah, so clueless sometimes.

He bought/had a lot of board games. We listened to music, ate pizza, and played board games all night. Sorry! Perfection?--the one where you have to put all the pieces in the thingy before the timer goes off. Operation. A couple others I don't recall every single one. Card games. It was a ton of fun. I felt much more relaxed and open with him after playing all those silly games with him.

Maybe a bottle of wine? I don't normally drink so we didn't drink.

Something scenic with minimal crowds.
Something outdoors on a nice day.

Or if you don't mind crowds, find a free music festival.
Lots of cities have those.. Chicago has a Jazz and Blues festival, for example..
I would do something cultural and artistic..something where you both will learn something or be able to appreciate something beautiful together.

I think that if you have decided you want to plan something really fun and memorable, listen to the person you like..
Take note of their interests and preferences and style, and then find something that seems like it will be fun for both of you.

I still gush about the first "real date" I went on with my bf.
He said we were going out for dinner and then we took a mini road trip to this great giant outdoor flea market out of state--very pretty drive..
Then we went out for dinner by the lake. Of course, if we didn't already have a level of comfort, if might have felt like he was kidnapping me, but we had been talking for a few weeks by then, so it didn't.
But it was perfect because he knew by then that I am an avid vintage junk collector and I love long scenic drives and being near the water.

Last edited:
Reactions: endersgone
I didn't really consider it a date but I suppose it was...gah, so clueless sometimes.

He bought/had a lot of board games. We listened to music, ate pizza, and played board games all night.

I actually have plans to do this with someone, and I'm not sure if it's a date lol

Do you live near water? How about a picnic?
Put a blanket on the grass by the shore, and sit/lie down. The activity itself can be incredibly flexible. If food is not a good idea, bring two books and read to each other, bring a game, etc.

One first date I turned into a game of sorts. Over the course of conversations prior to the date, I found out a list of her favourite restaurants. I wrote them down on a sheet of paper, along with a couple of my favourites, a couple of cool restaurants neither of us had been to, plus some joke ones like McDonald's. I cut them up and put the pieces in a small box. To add a little fun and mystery to the date, I told her I would pick her up, but the rest was a surprise. Upon arrival, I had her reach into the glove box for the little box. As I started driving aimlessly, I told her to pick out 3 pieces and that she could choose any one restaurant to go to. She ended up picking the one neither of us had been to. I'm glad she did. It was good food!

On another first date, I had a running joke with the girl, that I was a spanish dude named Javier Juarez. I actually put the reservation under the joke name, which she enjoyed. I played it up all evening too.

I've taken girls to the comedy club. That always makes for a good laugh. Though, it's best to do dinner first, so that you can at least talk for a bit. Although most girls I've taken out, I've already gotten to know them a bit through friends or online dating sites.

On a first date with another girl, we went to a coffee shop. In our previous chats, we had a small competitive spat about our Boggle abilities. So I brought the game to our date and I challenged her. I got my ass kicked.

I've gone on a couple of dates to the dog park. This works best if one of you actually owns a dog. Or at least doggysitting.

I've also done mini-putt. Picnic at the park. I've done a midnight date (it was a real date, not just a booty call! Though there was sex involved). A drive in the country is another one.

I try to make dates very original, or at least tailor the more traditional dates to be specific and unique to interactions we've had. I really don't like doing the same thing for every date.

A first date that I would really like to try is a random day flight. Like going to Vegas for the day. Granted, that is one expensive date, and risky if she's a nut (or just as bad for her if you're the nut).

Last edited:
One first date I turned into a game of sorts. Over the course of conversations prior to the date, I found out a list of her favourite restaurants. I wrote them down on a sheet of paper, along with a couple of my favourites, a couple of cool restaurants neither of us had been to, plus some joke ones like McDonald's. I cut them up and put the pieces in a small box. To add a little fun and mystery to the date, I told her I would pick her up, but the rest was a surprise. Upon arrival, I had her reach into the glove box for the little box. As I started driving aimlessly, I told her to pick out 3 pieces and that she could choose any one restaurant to go to. She ended up picking the one neither of us had been to. I'm glad she did. It was good food!

On another first date, I had a running joke with the girl, that I was a spanish dude named Javier Juarez. I actually put the reservation under the joke name, which she enjoyed. I played it up all evening too.

I've taken girls to the comedy club. That always makes for a good laugh. Though, it's best to do dinner first, so that you can at least talk for a bit. Although most girls I've taken out, I've already gotten to know them a bit through friends or online dating sites.

On a first date with another girl, we went to a coffee shop. In our previous chats, we had a small competitive spat about our Boggle abilities. So I brought the game to our date and I challenged her. I got my ass kicked.

I've gone on a couple of dates to the dog park. This works best if one of you actually owns a dog. Or at least doggysitting.

I've also done mini-putt. Picnic at the park. I've done a midnight date (it was a real date, not just a booty call! Though there was sex involved). A drive in the country is another one.

I try to make dates very original, or at least tailor the more traditional dates to be specific and unique to interactions we've had. I really don't like doing the same thing for every date.

A first date that I would really like to try is a random day flight. Like going to Vegas for the day. Granted, that is one expensive date, and risky if she's a nut (or just as bad for her if you're the nut).

Pro!

I actually have plans to do this with someone, and I'm not sure if it's a date lol

...Never mind, it's not a date. Whatevs, I wasn't that into him anyway. :p

Anyway, back on topic...I think it'd be cute to go on a zoo date. I love aminals. I think I'd be less tense and more myself running around at a zoo than I would be sitting down to dinner.

Reactions: JGirl
i definitely didn't want to eat in front of the person on a first date. not that i'm a hog or anything, just that eating is a personal thing to a degree. it's very telling body language wise, and i guess i think i'm maybe giving too much away lol

my idea of a great time is to do something active/physical - preferably outside. mini golf, go to the waterslides or an amusement park, biking, hiking, yeah even fishing if you're into it.

going to the movie theatre is sort of a waste of time (not to mention a ton of money) because you aren't actually interacting - you're merely sitting next to one another
same with any bar or nightclub or concert etc
you don't need a date to enjoy those things lol

Took an old friend for a boat ride for a few miles where we went inside for a couple of drinks at the bar at a hotel on the river. Immediately after the couple of drinks, we went back to the boat where we mostly drifted with the incoming tide back to where the boat was docked. It was a clear night with a full moon. I was very experienced in the river we were in. She told me months later that was the most romantic date she had ever been on.

There is something romantic with the full moon, the sounds of the water and occasional other boats in the distance, a dolphin coming up for a blow and breath of air, the smell of the fresh air. It was meant to be relaxing, yet became somewhat special to my friend. Glad she enjoyed it.

If there is a special part of your life worth sharing with someone else, it may turn into something meaningful.