Daft Punk - Tron: Legacy OST

Praefect

Sparkles
Oct 15, 2010
MBTI
Infj
Enneagram
type 9
It came out on the sixth. I finally had a chance to listen to it, having been totally hyped for it. I love daft punk. Love them. It's really a shame that you can't really hear daft punk in this score. Almost all the tracks may as well have been composed by Hans Zimmer. Orchestral and drums more than anything else. What makes them original, what makes them "them", their character, it has been removed, streamlined, tuned down, disneyfied.

I am not a happy camper. The one track so far that really sounds like them is also the track that got released for promotional purposes and I was really hoping for more of the same. It's not a a bad score. It probably works great for the movie, but it's just not the type of originality I had been hoping for.

Here, this is the track that got me fired up:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Afc2uzw4g"]YouTube - TRON: LEGACY - Daft Punk's "Derezzed"[/ame]

Marketing at its finest.

Anyone else got it? Listen to it? Have an opinion on it? Favorite tracks, perhaps?

As far as the Daft Punk influence goes, I really can't say much about it since I don't listen to their stuff originally. The main reason I got the soundtrack was because the track in the promo trailer sounded pretty good. My initial impression on the overall OST was a 'meh,' but I had different expectations for the film's soundtrack. I'd need to see the film to see if the OST does anything for it. Even though it's something I'd listen to while driving, I don't think I'll be abusing any of the tracks as much as I have with some of my other favorite songs.

Absolutely love this album, but I've always been drawn to simple electronic/synth compositions (really like the orchestral elements, too). The music couldn't have fit better with the movie, either. There were a couple scenes when I was so immersed that my heart was actually pounding, and I realized it wasn't the storyline that was affecting me - it was the synergy between the 3D visuals and the soundtrack. Not sure I have a favorite track. Taken as a whole, it's a great listening experience.

Uhn Tiss!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR035Mhd58o"]YouTube - Justice - Phantom Pt. II[/ame]

The music itself isn't that bad (or that good either) - but I wouldn't get the soundtrack. I was never a huge Daft Punk fan and this hasn't changed my mind.

As an aside, I think people are getting really burned out on the style of trailer where everything is soooo epic with the intense music, slow-mo shots, enigmatic lines of dialog punctuating everything ("what am I supposed to do?"........"survive."), explosions and just-missed-death-by-inches moments. Not only in movies but in game trailers as well.

I'm watching the movie now. The music is good (I like electronic music). The trailer didn't advertise this movie for me.

Also the music in this trailer SUCKS. The music in the actual movie is better. If that's what Daft Punk sounds like all the time, F*** Daft Punk.