Cultural Studies Major Seeks to LEAVE Marketing/Communication to... Teach? Study? | INFJ Forum

Cultural Studies Major Seeks to LEAVE Marketing/Communication to... Teach? Study?

Jan 9, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
I graduated from a large university with a Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature degree, something about halfway through I realized I didn't necessarily want but the humanities all come out in the wash. I was lucky enough to secure a position immediately after graduating and now I work in the communications department (department of 1... me) for a school district. Contrary to what I thought the career really is not fulfilling (for a host of reasons) and I don't really think that "communications" work is for me. I used to work for a public radio station (part-time and while I was a student) doing social media for them and writing press releases and newsletters... planning meetings... small stuff. I really enjoyed that job but I also really loved the people I worked with so... I'm thinking that I liked the PEOPLE in that position, not the position. (I had thought that communications was for me because of that job.)

The point is, I'm looking for advice from people who were maybe in my position and left and felt good about it but also from those who maybe regretted the decision... I'm trying to look at other options from here on out and I've always toyed with the idea of being a psychologist (surprise) or a professor... but the job market in both of those is just cut-throat. What are some positions that you have found really fulfilling? Am I right in assuming that it is the people I work with, not the job that I'm doing, what's making me happy? What's the first step in, say, becoming a psychologist when I don't even have an undergrad in anything remotely related? Is anyone out there an English or Social Studies teacher in a high school? What's that like?