cultural differences in attraction | INFJ Forum

cultural differences in attraction

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Do you find that depending on the culture or environment you are in, you're attracted to different types of people or are your attractions consistent regardless of cultural experiences? How do you think culture affects your attraction to someone?

Reactions: Jexocuha
The more I travel, the more the differences in how I feel between when I'm in different cultures seem to diminish at the core of what I want. This process has no cap, of course; it is ongoing. To answer your question: in essence, there is a sort of core to what I desire which may not be extinguished, but what I want as a whole constantly changes with what I experience, and that experience includes whenever I enter a different culture, because of a) what may be valuable to me while I am existing in the midst of a culture, combined with b) me being at the particular stage that my life is at.

The more I travel, the more the differences in how I feel between when I'm in different cultures seem to diminish at the core of what I want. This process has no cap, of course; it is ongoing. To answer your question: in essence, there is a sort of core to what I desire which may not be extinguished, but what I want as a whole constantly changes with what I experience, and that experience includes whenever I enter a different culture, because of a) what may be valuable to me while I am existing in the midst of a culture, combined with b) me being at the particular stage that my life is at.

Yeah, in that I think most people probably have a type they go for but if they have a diversity of people they are exposed to, they may see possibilities with someone they would not have considered had they not been exposed to another culture. However, I find myself attracted to a particular trait no matter the culture they are from. However, the combination of traits they display along with those particular traits which form the natural attraction are just as important. For example, openness is a trait I'm always attracted to but particular cultures demonstrate that trait in unique ways e.g. European vs. Caribbean. European free spiritedness has a slightly different quality than Caribbean forms of the same quality. So, I may prefer how that quality is played out in cultural group because of how live this out in their own worlds but not enjoy how this plays out in other cultures.

Yeah, in that I think most people probably have a type they go for but if they have a diversity of people they are exposed to, they may see possibilities with someone they would not have considered had they not been exposed to another culture. However, I find myself attracted to a particular trait no matter the culture they are from. However, the combination of traits they display along with those particular traits which form the natural attraction are just as important. For example, openness is a trait I'm always attracted to but particular cultures demonstrate that trait in unique ways e.g. European vs. Caribbean. European free spiritedness has a slightly different quality than Caribbean forms of the same quality. So, I may prefer how that quality is played out in cultural group because of how live this out in their own worlds but not enjoy how this plays out in other cultures.

Such an interesting concept you pose here. I would say I have to agree that I experience the same thing.

Reactions: Gaze and Jexocuha
Ireland was incredible. They were all so adorable and the brogue...sigh. I digress.

I do find that the traits I am attracted to are the same, though, regardless of culture.

Reactions: Gaze and Jexocuha
Ireland was incredible. They were all so adorable and the brogue...sigh. I digress.

Great digression! I can just imagine. :D How are Irish different in your opinion?