Creative INTPs? | INFJ Forum

Creative INTPs?

technics

On Holiday
May 13, 2011
MBTI
Yes
Do you know any creative INTPs? I mean creative as in art, literature etc. I can't imagine an INTP naturally tending towards creativity. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most of my INTP friends are in the sciences. I think an INTJ with Ni, good Fi and Se should be more inclined towards that role.

You guys are confusing those two things - science and art - which are totally different. And it doesn't matter whether science is creative or not, nor all those artistic projects which are based on scientific knowledge.

The question is whether someone with a dominant Thinking function (Ti, Te) would naturally tend towards artistic creativity than someone with a dominant Intuitive function (Ni, Ne). My intuition tells me no.

You guys are confusing those two things - science and art - which are totally different. And it doesn't matter whether science is creative or not, nor all those artistic projects which are based on scientific knowledge.

The question is whether someone with a dominant Thinking function (Ti, Te) would naturally tend towards artistic creativity than someone with a dominant Intuitive function (Ni, Ne). My intuition tells me no.

I guess what gave credence to the possibility of INTPs being creative is that my top two functions are Ti-Ne, and that I naturally tend towards artistic creativity. I still have a love of science, and sometimes merge the two, but I am only an individual. I can't speak for everyone. For me, art is an outlet to release or express what I can't compel myself to convey through oral communication.

I don't quite agree that Ne-Ni makes someone more creative, and that creativity shows itself in a myriad of ways that can't be entirely restricted nor attributed to type. I also don't believe that art and science have to be completely mutually exclusive.

Sounds like you're just looking for something to confirm your hypothesis. If that's the case, then nothing anyone posts is going to answer your question, it it?

The difference between an INTP artist and any other kind of artist is that they would insist, more than any other type, that their art make logical sense. Other than that, the sky's the limit.

She is supposed to be an INTP and an artist:

[video=youtube;JyEgKgQQDVg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyEgKgQQDVg[/video]

Do you know any creative INTPs? I mean creative as in art, literature etc. I can't imagine an INTP naturally tending towards creativity. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most of my INTP friends are in the sciences. I think an INTJ with Ni, good Fi and Se should be more inclined towards that role.

Yes, I know two.

I know they are INTPs because they took an MBTI test and shared their results with me, and I know they are artists.

They both are visual artists, one specializes in videography & music, the other is a talented illustrator. They both are very creative and artistic with strong technical and scientific leanings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
I don't think it's fair to say a certain personality type isn't creative. I think any type can be creative; it just depends on what they like doing. I think anyone could be creative - people knit, people bake, people write, people paint...it's all relative. Henry Mancini (the musician who wrote the Pink Panther theme) was reportedly an INTP.

Reactions: hush
I don't quite agree that Ne-Ni makes someone more creative

I was actually quite careful about this, that's why I said "naturally tending towards creativity" instead of "more creative".

Sounds like you're just looking for something to confirm your hypothesis. If that's the case, then nothing anyone posts is going to answer your question, it it?

Yes, but that's not the case.

The difference between an INTP artist and any other kind of artist is that they would insist, more than any other type, that their art make logical sense. Other than that, the sky's the limit.

Good point.

I was actually quite careful about this, that's why I said "naturally tending towards creativity" instead of "more creative".

Still not even entirely sold on "naturally tending towards creativity." ;) Just creative in different ways.

Still not even entirely sold on "naturally tending towards creativity." ;) Just creative in different ways.

No, I agree with you. I was just wondering why almost none of my INTP friends are in the artistic creative field. But lots of ENxP (mostly architects and designers) and IxFP (fine arts). I also think that with Ti-Ne the fluidity and chaos of the creative field probably doesn't make sense at all and is highly disturbing. They'd probably start sorting it out into elegance with their Ti and, by so doing, destroy what actually makes it interesting.

And my INTP friends, they don't find anything valuable in things such as modern art. But show them a visualization of an equation and they'd be like "Wow!" where I think "Yeah okay, it's nice, but it's not really that sophisticated in terms of art".

This video about a "mathematically patternless music" shows very well the dividing line of Thinking and Intuition in terms of art. From a mathematical view this piece is patternless, but aesthetically it clearly has a pattern, a signature:

[video=youtube;RENk9PK06AQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RENk9PK06AQ[/video]

[MENTION=2177]o_q[/MENTION] makes purrty things. he owes me a present.

Maybe you mean 'artistic' moreso than creative by your question? Science and math are extremely creative and require a great deal of open mindedness and originality and thought.

I have a close INTP friend who I've known for 14 years. She is a great artist - paints, draws, sculpts, carves, and has exhibited some of her work at local galleries. She is also a great photographer and loves scrapbooking. Her house is full of her paintings and photography. She knitted me some fruit for Christmas and made some art pieces for my daughter's nursery last year. She designs and makes jewellery and is really creative in putting clothes together. She likes everything to be beautiful, elegant and creative. She brought over a bottle of wine for me as a gift that she had tied strings, fabric scraps and flowers together to make a 'corsage' type thing. She plays guitar pretty well and loves music, especaily the more novel stuff. She loves arty movies and is awesome at making up stories. Very widely read and loves philosophy, sci fi, and non fiction. And she is very funny in a creative way, comes up with the most far out but accurate observations and metaphors, and is great at putting on voices and mocking personas. Very creative with cooking her vegetarian meals

Another of my INTP friends is very passionate about wine. He knows everything about it and is one of those verbose wine swilling taster 'Fraiser' types. He writes very creative descriptions about his wines. His house is full of beautiful, artistic unique furniture and historical pieces. He loves philosophy, psychology and studying culture. He is also widely read. He comes up with hilarious you tube videos. Has great, innovative business ideas. Loves arty movies and foreign flicks. He loves fine food and is amazing at cooking and presenting food in fancy ways

My INTP Anatomy professor is adept at coming up with creative metaphors for anatomy. I find it very artistic how he draws concepts in together to paint a descriptive picture for us. he is a thespian and loves art galleries and such

I have an INTP aquaintance that is one of my friend's boyfriends. He is obsessed with fashion and style. He is a natural comedian and Im in stitches the whole time Im around him because of his creative, innapproriate, intelligent and quirky humour.

I think that TiNeSiFe definately lends itself to be creative, quirky, interesting, unconventional and intelligent. Theres been some amazing INTP philosophers.

I also think that with Ti-Ne the fluidity and chaos of the creative field probably doesn't make sense at all and is highly disturbing. They'd probably start sorting it out into elegance with their Ti and, by so doing, destroy what actually makes it interesting.

The difference between an INTP artist and any other kind of artist is that they would insist, more than any other type, that their art make logical sense.

No.

Ti leaves Ne to do it's thing and only interferes if it's needed. Otherwise, it's off doing other stuff.

Stereotypes all over the place, urghghlle. Oh, and here's something: http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=10450