Corporation or Start Up - which do you prefer to work for? | INFJ Forum

Corporation or Start Up - which do you prefer to work for?

Odyne

===========
Banned
Aug 19, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
Hello forumites!

Which would you prefer to work for: an established corporation with multiple employees or a start-up that can provide same pay and benefits but has a fewer employees and fewer management?

I am making the jump from the corporate world and into the start up game - for me, I much prefer it this way, I am tired of being blocked at every turn whenever I want to implement something and having to kiss ass to advance my career, amongst other corporate barriers and ceilings to deal with, however I know I am leaving behind something secure and a reliable income.

I am curious to know how you feel about the two options and the reason behind your preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze, Wyote and Ren
Hello forumites!

Which would you prefer to have a work for: an established corporation with multiple employees or a start-up that can provide same pay and benefits but has a fewer employees and fewer management?

I am making the jump from the corporate world and into the start up game - for me, I much prefer it this way, I am tired of being blocked at every turn whenever I want to implement something and having kiss ass to advance my careers, amongst other corporate barriers and ceilings to deal with, however I know I am leaving behind something secure and a reliable income.

I am curious to know how you feel about the two options and the reason behind your preference.

Hi @Odyne!

I understand your move. Large structures can be very frustrating. At the moment, I work for a fairly large organisation, and I couldn't see myself working there for ever. The flexibility and relaxed atmosphere of start-ups is attractive. My only concern is that they might involve a heavier workload, whereas I would like to move towards working less and less, so that I can have as much time as possible to dedicate to writing. (I believe that you are a writer yourself).

Ultimately though, I think freelance work might be what's most suited to my temperament. It's tough working for any kind of hierarchical structure. We shall see.

Security is overrated

Reactions: Gaze and Odyne
Corporation... castles made of sand fall to the sea eventually.

A start-up, on the condition that it's mine.

Sorry, I didn't really catch the symbolism. You mean, unless the start-up is your own, you'd rather work in an established company?

Reactions: Gaze and Wyote
At first I was going to say corporation because in the US, smaller companies and start ups can't usually compete for benefits and I'm getting old now and practicality usually wins where idealism used to. So I demand health insurance and retirement if I'm putting my time in.

But if both can offer comparable pay and benefits I'd go for whichever job would offer me the most autonomy and flexibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyote
Hello forumites!

Which would you prefer to work for: an established corporation with multiple employees or a start-up that can provide same pay and benefits but has a fewer employees and fewer management?

I am making the jump from the corporate world and into the start up game - for me, I much prefer it this way, I am tired of being blocked at every turn whenever I want to implement something and having to kiss ass to advance my career, amongst other corporate barriers and ceilings to deal with, however I know I am leaving behind something secure and a reliable income.

Corporate to save up quick.

That said, I'm the middle of the process of setting up as an independent contractor.
I have chosen for this route partly because of frustrations with how the system is, and partly because it enables the switch to the lifestyle I want better. ; )

Assuming things go mostly according to plan; I'll have cut out a major part of my daily frustrations that I had when working in a corporate structures and have more room for personal development.

Corporation, but only because I am responsible for other people, and thus I want to minimize risk. If you are financially stable and can afford the risk, sure, try a startup. You mentioned pretty much everything worth mentioning about pros and cons.

Neither because one is soulless and has made the world an increasingly dystopian hell hole while the other is a magnet for toxic eccentrics who lord over everyone else. I deeply loathe how people are forced to martyr themselves for the sake of numbers, profits, and for the heartless business ultimately down the road becoming disabled or worse an early death in their 50s or 60s. I refuse to suffer those 60 to 110 hour work weeks...

Reactions: neko
Corporate's been frustrating for me because the work I've been doing for awhile now I know isn't making a difference, and the work itself isn't new or solving any problems. I realize recently that the joy I get out of it is helping others learn and grow by sharing my experience and knowledge. I can probably see myself trying something else in the future though.