Conversations with your opposite | INFJ Forum

Conversations with your opposite

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Have you had conversations with your opposite? Someone with the complete opposite of your personality type or opposite of personality in tastes, preferences, or interests? How does it flow? Did you learn anything about yourself from the experience? Does it take more effort to interact with someone who is your opposite?

I've spent time with estps which are functional stack opposites of infjs, and I find it very enjoyable and interesting because they do everything that I do but are so different at the same time. It's a unique reflection of myself and some of my inadequacies. They really know how to immerse themselves in life whereas I mostly just sit at home thinking about doing it, until random moods for it strike :laughing:

I've spent time with estps which are functional stack opposites of infjs, and I find it very enjoyable and interesting because they do everything that I do but are so different at the same time. It's a unique reflection of myself and some of my inadequacies. They really know how to immerse themselves in life ......:laughing:

Ditto!

When estps aren't hogging the limelight they are actually fun to be around and (depending on my mood) it's very easy to get caught up in all the excitement. :tearsofjoy: They are very spontaneous individuals so there's no time to switch off and allow your mind to wander (which I often do) so I'm forced to be present and in the moment (even though I may feel slightly exhausted at the end of it all). The estp that I know enjoys being challenged and has no qualms about giving up their position of thought if you've presented them with new information. They also love to shock people with all their antics!

I don't know anyone who claims to be an ESTP!
The women I have become closer friends with since moving are Extroverted Sensors. At first it kind of bugged me that I have friends I can't "get Ni" with, but the friendships are rewarding, and they're teaching me to focus on taking actions to show I care (as opposed to being there mentally for the INs in my life.) ES types can get competitive about generosity. LOL. My closest friend here (an ESFX) is one of best people I know.

Outside of MBTI, a lot of my friends and I are "opposites". I don't need to have anything in common with people to enjoy friendships with them.

My opposite is the ISFJ and I get along just fine with them. I had a good friend in highschool who was ISFJ. Caring, supportive, understanding, reliable. What drew us together is that we were both very studious. She wanted to become a doctor. We lost contact when we both went to a different university. I hope she's doing well. :)

My oldest brother is ESTP. On the outside, our personalities seem much alike actually. Our differences comes to show when we discuss something. We think the same way/following a similar thread if that makes sense, but completely opposite priorities of what's important. It's a lot of "Yes, uhu, yeup ... Whaaat? No no no" during the discussion. I would put all my trust in him if I needed help with anything market related, though.

Reactions: Asa, Wyote and Gaze
A little edit: I get along just fine with him /them, as long as we don't get into a discussion. One of us are bound to feel defeated or stupid, instead of enlightened afterwards :sweatsmile: I've learned that it's possible to be a good hearted person and have a sharp business mind at the same time. And that I'm probably a lot more careful then I have to be when I calculate risks in the Se world!

Reactions: Asa, Wyote and Gaze
I have met ESTJs and they are surprisingly different than I would expect. I probably also confused ENTJs with ESTJs. What I like about this type is that they are fairly straightforward about how they feel or think. They often say what comes to mind, and don't necessarily overthink it. They can be very lively and energetic.Their thought processes are right there so you can know how and why the way they think as they do. I struggle to express my thoughts verbally sometimes, and ESTJs will just say things without question, and be confident in their thought processes. I am always uncertain or cautious when I'm explaining myself. I'm a bit careful about being too direct. But I like the ESTJs ability to say how they feel openly, without apologies. The only thing I would have a concern about is if they're dismissive of feeling based ideas, or pushing thinking based reasoning as better than feeling based reasoning. ESTJs are more assertive and clear about what they think, while I will focus more on options or possibilities. For me, it's not always about the right answer. In my job, you have to be open to multiple perspectives. You can't be hard and fast about everything. Sometimes, it's more about allowing everyone to be heard than being right. So, that's what I appreciate about the INFP type. Once I embraced Ne, life became much easier, especially at work.

Last edited:
My closest bro in law is an estp! (So this is both opposite mbti wise and gender wise! Hurray!) I love him to death and he's older so his "energy" is calmer but when I like to have fun and be spontaneous he's the one I'd call. When it comes to decisions we are sort of the same but he's way more practical and less on the feels.. (my sister is esfp so it could be misunderstood LOL)

My mother is an ESFJ.

I've found that the best conversations between us rely on our inner function (Ne-Si) connection. We like to discuss creative endeavors and art, but from different perspectives. We also enjoy reminiscing and talking about traditions and culture.

Problems with our interaction: She thinks I am overconfident, and I think she is too emotional and too easily swayed by the majority.

My old ESTP roommate and I would have these really long conversations that were interesting but kind of felt like they would never end. It was easy to talk to him, but not exactly relaxing. I always felt like I had to be on my toes and if we were on opposite sides of something, which was a situation I felt like he would artificially create sometimes, the discussion could last for days. There’s a weird sense of awareness of each other.

This whole MBTI thing is new to me, so naturally I've been having fun with it and testing family and friends (without exception it's been a fun and interesting thing to do).

I recently had a family member take one of the online questionnaires and she came out as ESTJ.

I tend to have difficulty connecting with this person and our conversations tend to revolve around her material possessions (what she's buying for the house or herself), or about the 'weird' behaviour of another family member.

I have to say though, I was a bit creeped out administering the questionnaire and finding out that she had real difficulty empathising, didn't care about the feelings of others, &c. So much so that I had the unwelcome thought that she might be somewhat sociopathic (and I suppose this is the risk of amateurs getting involved, isn't it).

She is so opposite to me and I think that real connection or understanding is probably impossible in practical terms, despite our immediate family relationship.

I'm INFJ, for context. I come out as this in questionnaires and identify with the descriptions (apart from the 'conflict averse' stuff - I'll state my opinion if I feel that it's right even if unpopular, and tend to be the person who speaks up about injustice in the workplace, &c. Equally, however, I do tend to be a peacemaker interpersonally.)

I finally killed the abomination that was @Irrationality With Emotion Filling by stabbing him through the heart with the ancient bone-blade of Zuma Kalis…
giphy.gif

Only one of us can inhabit this dimension at a time, it's all very complicated- you probably wouldn't understand.

One of my girlfriends was all about work, all the time non stop she used to talk about her job and her desire to climb in her company hierarchy, she liked indie music and her taste for art was kind of modern bullcrap conceptual stuff. she used to say call me at this time ("you gotta call me, i don't even need to say it"), pick me up at this time, let's arrange meetings 1 week before because my schedule is pretty tight, "you sound so vulgar like from the bronx", "i cannot introduce you to my sister if you keep talking like this", so i eventually quit the relationship, crazy thing is that she was calling me and sending me messages and wanting to meet knowing i was already dating another girl... she even dared to say that i reminded her of herself when she was a bit younger.
It was too much J for me, too damn much

I get along very nicely with SP people, actually have a ENFJ friend who's really cool as well but his J eventually drags me down, his deadlines and his social hyper self awareness - everything for the group, also he speaks about his profession as some sort of messiah.

Reactions: Gaze