Conversation starters? | INFJ Forum

Conversation starters?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Well, we all know that sometimes it's awkward figuring out how to start a conversation with someone, whether stranger, acquaintance, friend, date, or potential partner online or irl, etc.

So, what are some helpful or effective tips for starting a conversation in seemingly normal, awkward or deer in headlight situations?

:m155:

Last edited:
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF LIFE!

:m131:
yeah, uh, sure . . . why not *cringes*

You need to make sure you scream it in a freaky manor with a twichy eye also.

But on a more serious note...uh...My conversational skills suck quite badly, I am terrible at small talk and find it irratating to have such a conversation.

"Hi, Nice shoes, wanna fuck?" lol j/k

I think it's best to just smile, ask the other person a lot of questions and listen and answer any questions they ask you :)

"Hi, Nice shoes, wanna fuck?" lol j/k

I think it's best to just smile, ask the other person a lot of questions and listen and answer any questions they ask you :)

@Sali, but what about those who feel uncomfortable answering questions about themselves? Or what about those who ask questions as if they are doing an interrogation? Wouldn't that make someone uncomfortable? Or what if you don't like being questioned about certain things?

@Sali, but what about those who feel uncomfortable answering questions about themselves? Or what about those who ask questions as if they are doing an interrogation? Wouldn't that make someone uncomfortable? Or what if you don't like being questioned about certain things?

Well I don't think people will ask that many personal questions upon meeting you, Idk. I guess for me it's hard to see it from that scope because I'm brutally honest about myself and it's hard for me to see it through the eyes of others.

Could you put me into a particular situation so I can respond how I would?

Could you put me into a particular situation so I can respond how I would?

[MENTION=3379]Free Mind[/MENTION]

depends on where you hang out:

at school?

at the store?

at a bar?

on a first date?

"Hey, do you know why I started a conversation with you?"

Reactions: Gaze
depends on where you hang out:

at school? You talk about school work/the class/etc and it leads into threads.

at the store? I'm not really sure, someone else has to initiate that for me

at a bar? Same thing, but I'm usually at bars with friends

on a first date? Never actually been on an official date so to speak, how do people arrange that, cause it sounds kinda fun.

I will make a situation quickly or something...

I meet 1 of my old friends:

Friend: Oh hey there!

Me: Hello!

Friend: How have you been man?

Me: Good, just keeping myself busy. And yourself?

Friend: Just been going out with friends and such.

Conversation continue! If he didn't speak to me first, I would have ignored him...

Every conversation I have had with someone I don't know so well...has been dead because most of the time our interests and perceptions just collide. I try to avoid these conversations now...It's my fault really.

P.S I am feeling a bit weird right now. XD

Reactions: Gaze
Look at the current environment around you. Find something that stands out (events usually work better), and make a comment about that. If the person reciprocates, simply introduce yourself.

In all honest you can't really put conversation starters into a box without clinicalizing the entire process of conversing with someone. Doing so makes it seem hollow and ingenuine.

"Hi, Nice shoes, wanna fuck?"

I've tried this once. Only difference is I replaced shoes with ***s. The result wasn't exactly one I wanted considering her boyfriend was next to her..

I've tried this once. Only difference is i replaced shoes with ***s. The result wasn't exactly one I wanted considering her boyfriend was next to her..

Lol, I have a friend that walks up to every woman in the bar and propositions them all for sex. He pisses off a ton of people but somebody usually leaves with him.

Reactions: Oranguh
"Hey, do you know why I started a conversation with you?"

Btw, I am serious. I would and probably have started a conversation like this.
I catch you by surprise!
But...
Asking "how are you?" is, to me, redundant... (although I might ask "how are you?" and then continue talking while you try to blurt out "I'm fine" just to make a point..... but that's rude....[so, only for close friends])

But I mean... I have gone up to people (that I kinda know?) and asked the strangest things.... But they generally don't really mind...
I mean, there are no mean intentions (I come across as aloof and playful, I want to lighten the day for people. I want to make them feel that life isn't all that serious and stressful)...
It's great! The worst case scenario might be that someone gets all anal because I'm so "not acting within social protocol". But if I notice that I'll probably either be more considerate towards that person Or..... extremely provocative. Either way, it's not really damaging anyone... right?

:m183:

Reactions: jyrffw54
Lol, I have a friend that walks up to every woman in the bar and propositions them all for sex. He pisses off a ton of people but somebody usually leaves with him.

Haha. The boomhauer method.

Again, would like to see tips on helpful conversation starters. thx.

Reactions: not sure