doppy

Regular Poster
Aug 23, 2020
Detroit, MI
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Is there anyone in this community that enjoys R&B from the 80s through the early/mid 2000s? As the title suggests, the technical term for this genre is contemporary R&B.

Artists include SWV, Keith Sweat, Xscape, En Vogue, TLC, Janet Jackson, Guy, Jodeci, Boyz II Men, Usher, Ginuwine, Silk, Jagged Edge, etc.

This is my absolute favorite genre of music and I have an extensive collection of rare singles & promo CDs and vinyls from the 90s era. I pretty much know most of the producers behind the instrumentals, like Jermaine Dupri is a favorite of mine. I’ve studied much of the music theory behind this genre and much of it is rooted in gospel music originating from urban churches like those in Detroit and Atlanta.

My all time favorite artist in this genre is Xscape and my favorite song by them is Understanding. They sung it so good live. Anyways, I digress.

If there’s anyone else there that loves this music or is interested in learning more about it, feel free to post here! Thanks!

EDIT: minor grammatical error

Do you know any good modern R and B
Yeah, a bit. It depends on what you’re looking for though. There’s Summer Walker and H.E.R. to name a few. Kehlani’s earlier stuff I like as well.

My friend plays this stuff all of the time so it's great to have this thread for stuff to send him.
This is probably a very stupid question; but to clarify, is he a musician that is playing this stuff with instruments/keyboards or just playing recordings like everyone else?

Hell yea, that was part of my childhood

This one’s a classic.

Missy Elliott was part of this group in the beginning of her career.

My friend plays this stuff all of the time so it's great to have this thread for stuff to send him.
Well then tell him to go out and buy condoms cause I’ll be sharing some songs later. What makes me such a credible 80’s & 90’s R&B source? Well let’s just say, you know that girl you like in high school? The one that makes you never miss a school day? The girl that when you find out she is absent, the entire rest of the school day is just blah? well not many high schoolers get that dream girl.
Sadly, I’m one of those guys who did get the girl. I say sadly cause, I lost her in the end but my dream did come true.

Last edited:
A little background. I have to credit my sister who is two years younger than me for being the one who made love songs a presence in our house. She listened to everything while I stuck with the mostly underground rap & hip-hop. She played Latin freestyle music which are 99% love songs, R&B, Madonna, The Bangles, you know that slow stuff. Who knew once I got into liking girls all that music my sis listened to would come in handy in knowing some of what girls expected as far as romance.
I don't know what the guys that were going for the same girl I was going for in high school were listening to but these are the songs that would charge my heart and write her notes (that's what we called them before texting and email) yes I would hand write letters in my kitchen, carry it to school and then hand it to her. Then I'd wait for a letter back. lmao. It was a strange ritual but bro, that's what the girls expected. Anyways, these songs always said exactly what I was feeling for her and why I was able to tell her. Take this first song by After 7 (yes, that is Babyface). While guys that liked the same girl I liked were probably writing in their notes stuff like...."I really like you.", I was telling her things like...."You don't know what it means to me, if you accept my love."

What's really wild is that when we became a couple, we'd light some incense and I'd unleash these R&B playlists and would just have out of body experiences and it is no wonder I fell so profoundly for her.
Those are just a few, I used to have a playlist on YT but I deleted it a while back. It used to hurt to hear these songs but I guess it no longer does as I enjoyed hearing these again for this post.

Reactions: Wyote
This is probably a very stupid question; but to clarify, is he a musician that is playing this stuff with instruments/keyboards or just playing recordings like everyone else?
You posted this question in September. It's March now, sorry.

He's just a regular guy who consumes R&B.

Reactions: Wyote
I grew up listening to RnB music, artists such as 112, Missy Elliot, Mary J Blige, Genuwine, Jodeci, TLC, Aliyah, Nelly, Boy ii Men, Janet Jackson, Blackstreet, Destiny's Child, SWV, Babyface, Dru Hill, Mariah Carey, Brandy, Monica and then UK RnB there was Craig David, Shola Ama, Eternal, Another Level, All Saints, Mark Morrison, Jamiriquoi (however that's spelt), E17 and many more I can't think off of the top of my head. A lot of it was mainstream that I enjoy listening to.

I still have a couple of album's from my teens but not listened to them as I just go on YouTube whenever I'm in the mood to listen to some RnB. Nowadays RnB is not the same as it use to be imo.