Complexity | INFJ Forum

Complexity

Discussion in 'Psychology and MBTI' started by rawr, Oct 16, 2010.

Share This Page

More threads by rawr
  1. rawr

rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    Do you feel complicated or complex? If so, any guesses as to why?
    Do you enjoy your complexity, or do you wish you could "simplify yourself?" Why or why not?
    If you don't feel complex, do you wish you were?
    Do you find complexity attractive in others? Unattractive?

(thanks in advance :))

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 rawr, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. Claridon

Claridon Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    I do feel complicated and complex at times, though I am not sure I would want to simplify and lose part of what makes me, me.
    People in my life have learned to either appreciate it or tolerate it...probably varies on the day...lol.
    I have had people attracted to it, though those who have been in romantic relationships have commented on the stability is the quality they like most.

How about you, Rememberwhenitrained?

3. OP
    rawr

rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    noticed i posted this in the wrong section. could a mod or admin move this to the Psych. section please? thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Claridon

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    I think this is a good point, it is ambiguous. I wonder if the ability of INFJ's and other types to hold two things, ideas, concepts in tension could add to the feeling of complexity, both the feeling about yourself (or not) and in the perception of others.

5. OP
    rawr

rawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IxTP
    Enneagram:
    human
    like cognitive dissonance or are you talking about something different?

6. Claridon

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    yes, exactly. I think I always liked the mental picture that holding two ideas in tension conjured... :)

rawr likes this.
  7. Galileo

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    The Challenger
    I'm glad I'm not predictable. I think in some ways I'm very complicated, especially if you break my trust, it becomes very difficult for people to get back into my good books again, and it's a lot of work.

However in many ways I'm also very simple. People usually know where they stand with me, and I think that's important. I hate having to walk all kinds of mazes just to know where I stand with someone, and I try hard not to let that be the case with people I know. I try not to attach all kinds of conditions to myself either, if you know what I mean. I find that life's a lot better that way for me.
    I think some layers of complexity in people are good though, what a boring world it would be if we could know everyone instantly, but sometimes people can take it too far.

8. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    not sure i'm that complicated but for anyone who doesn't understand something, it will seem complicated. I'm pretty simple oddly enough although i seem like i have more going on than i really do. i'm not too keen on being seen as too complicated, but i wouldn't want to seem or be with someone who's too simplistic. Although someone who seems complicated can seem very interesting or intriguing.

rawr and Claridon like this.
  9. TinyBubbles

TinyBubbles anarchist

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    Nah I'm pretty simple at heart, don't need much to be content. My life on the other hand~ heh, could do with some minor readjustments :p

Wouldn't really want to be complex. I don't know if it's attractive or not (don't really care to be honest), but it seems like it would make things more difficult.

What about you RWIR?

10. sassafras

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    I used to think I was more complex, but really, I'm pretty average and simple. It's both depressing and relieving to think this way.

11. jyrffw54

jyrffw54 שכינה עוֹלֶה

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Sometimes I wish I was more simple, so that I could truly express how I feel to those I care deeply about in a manner that they would understand. But for the most part, I enjoy my complexity.
    I find it attractive because you're always gonna be taken by surprise, and you get to unlock more and more of their quirks as you get to know them better. I would put stability a little higher on the list though.

12. randomsomeone

randomsomeone Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I have a complex way of processing things and I'm fine with that because I think things are somewhat complex by nature and there is a danger in trying to oversymplify too much. Along with everything else, I'm very comfortable with contrast, diversity, nuance, illusion, reality, and paradox. It is these that makes things complex.

That said, when one mashes it all together, a form of simplicity can emerge, and this for me is born more of wonderment, appreciation and gratitude than anything else. This is simple, but not simplistic.

In many regards, I think of simplicity in terms of clarity more than anything else. Clear, unalloyed, essence....removing clutter and illusion...moving to "what really is." Clarity allows one (I think) to maintain a center and this is a great strength in life.

13. Majesty

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    Everyone is complex.
    Especially people who like mushrooms.

I'm not any more complex/weird/whatever than the average

14. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    This^^^

15. Billy

Billy Contents Under Pressure
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    Most people tell me im very very complex, and I believe I am, I dont even fully understand myself sometimes. There will be times where I think I have a good handle on myself, but then do something that surprises myself and seems out of character or out of left field.

16. Jill Hives

Jill Hives fhtagn
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I love psychedelics in general. It's like taking a vacation without actually physically going anywhere.

Also, I agree. What one person considers a complex personality might make total sense to another person and be quite "normal". It seems like it is quite relative.

17. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    This.

I am disinclined to say that I am complex. I am simply very detailed and particular, which could be seen as complex. However as I understand myself, and am able to put my motives, drives, likes, dislike, and anything/everything inbetween to reason or context, that sort of removes the air of complexity. People will very often say that it's/I'm weird, but I haven't really been called "complex".

And this.

18. Matariki

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    N/A
    Enneagram:
    N/A
    I have my complexity's and my simplicity's. Neither is better than the other, but they both make up who I am.
    I do think I am complex in nature, but maybe that's because I'm at a time in my life where I'm trying to figure out who I am.
    I've never really had people come up to me and say that I am complex, however people do say that I am different and unique.
    I personally don't think that I am that much different from everyone around me.

19. Siamese cat

Siamese cat Madame Cat strikes again

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Sometimes I feel that it would be better for me if I were more simple. If my ways of doing and thinking of things were more simple.

I am both simple and complex at the same time. It's like when you have a really beautiful and simple formula, but the reasoning behind it and proof for it so complex that only so many people can comprehend it. That's me. My actions seem very simple, I decide on things fast and efficient, but behind every single one of those actions is a highly complicated reasoning.

I find complexity highly attractive but sometimes I get a bit tired by it, both in me and with others. I think that complexity guaranties that that there will be no boredom at any point, but I might be very wrong in that assumption.

I think that I was partly complex from the start but my upbringing certainly contributed to it highly.

rawr likes this.
  20. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    I prefer the word, "intricate."

Actually I don't think I'm complex in a dark brow furrowing storm cloud deep secret kind of way.
    I felt complex and confused when I was younger though. But I don't feel like I'm trying to define myself as much these days.

Cognitive dissonance may also have lot to do with it, I think. I held a lot of contradicting views which were all supported by passionate feelings. I'm either blissfully oblivious to any existing contradicting views (just another way my brain coped with the tension) or I've done a good job resolving them so far.

#20 acd, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010