companionship | INFJ Forum

companionship

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What does companionship mean to you? Do you think of it differently from relationship? How important to you is it?

Reactions: invisible
a teacher at university told my class that many intimate relationships begin as "passionate love" but this feeling changes to "companionate love".

(may have to think more about your actual question.)

A companionship is a relationship. Every interaction we have with another human being is a result of our relationship to them. That said, I believe companionship is just a deeper, more consistent and long lasting bond that happens between two people. It may not necessarily be romantic, but it can be. Companionship (to me) seems to indicate an ease of existing together in the same place even if you partake in different activities. It's being together in a physical sense and also confiding in and supporting each other in an emotional sense. I think that where it takes a departure from a romantic relationship is that romance tends to be about becoming a unity and merging lives together based on an envisioned future together. I think there is an element of companionship that comes along with a long term romantic relationship but one does not always imply the other.

Have a bad habit of not answering my own thread questions sometimes. lol

Anyway, great responses. I think companionship is more about partnership than "being in love". I think it's more about sharing time together and having someone who is truly there to be with you not just in good times, but tough times as well. It's not about passionate love but practical love. I think of it as something which allows partners to learn from each other and challenge each other, and grow individually and together.

I agree!

Companionship is far more than passionate love! I would say that I have a few very close friends that I would say are my companions! They're people who I share everything with, and enjoy their company.

I do look for companionship in my partners- that's especially important, but I find it's extremely difficult to find someone who I'm both attracted to as (more than a friend) and a companion.

Reactions: Gaze
What does companionship mean to you? Do you think of it differently from relationship? How important to you is it?
Companionship means friends to me. It's hanging out together and enjoying the company. It doesn't have to be very intimate. Work friends and the like are companions in my view, even if we never see each other out side of work. Pour on a deeper connection and you have close, intimate friends. Companions still, but with more depth. A relationship should be the pinnacle of it all. Companionship combined with deep intimacy. Companionship is important to me but I tend to place greater value on the relationship when it has greater intimacy. Work friends are cool and simple companionship is awesome, but I rather be around those I'm closer too.