TheLastMohican

Captain Obvious
Retired Staff
May 8, 2008
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
Type me.
Men and women are different. They have different physiques, different reproductive organs, and to some extent, different brains.

There are good reasons for these differences. We humans have evolved into niches, ascending our metaphorical peaks on "Mount Improbable." Men, in terms of population stability, are more expendable. They are more likely to engage in dangerous behaviors, often to some benefit (in more primitive times, that is; in modern times, adrenaline and recklessness tend to create danger with little compensation). Women are those with the necessary organs for bearing children, and consequently have become specialized to care for them in early life.

The concept of gender is deeply rooted in our psyche. That does not make it "right" or "wrong." It just is that way because that is the construct that helped us survive best throughout most of human history. Some would argue that it should still be adhered to today. I do not agree with that, but on the other hand, I do not think that those who are most comfortable with instinctual gender roles should be shunned as archaic or unenlightened, any more than people should be rebuked for liking the taste of sugar.

Since our societies have become industrialized and relatively non-selective, the natural shift away from the preference for gender roles has occurred in spurts, as various age-old ideologies have had to be dramatically overturned. Our modern sophistication in these matters can be summed up by one major revelation: although men and women are different, when it comes to psychology, they differ much more from others of their own sex than the sexes differ from each other. The differences that we see between the sexes are only on average, not absolute. That is why it is incorrect and distasteful to make judgments about a person's character based on his or her sex. Our concept of gender has permeated our perceptions in ways that are no longer helpful, and are frequently harmful.

In summation, I think we should not be afraid to examine the differences written in our genes. The more we understand about such things, the better. But out of respect for individual autonomy, and in recognition of statistics, we should not apply to specific people what we have learned about genders. An average of half the world's population will not describe a person.

That's all.

I totally relate more to "ISFP" (and it's associated stereotypes) than I do to "Man" (and it's associated stereotypes).

I especially like this...

Our modern sophistication in these matters can be summed up by one major revelation: although men and women are different, when it comes to psychology, they differ much more from others of their own sex than the sexes differ from each other.

We should be careful not to turn the "written in the genes" idea into the modern version of "written in the stars". Because this kind of deception has proven to be quite persistent, as it reiterates and confirms itself.

Until very recently, the majority of people firmly believed that a lot about human's place in life was written in their skin color. And this was based on years of practical testing; it was not just imaginary - yet, it wasn't true.

I appreciate how the psychological grouping and statistics allow to see more clearly the real gender independence of character, but it's still far from good. For example, it still assumes people's characters to be very fixed, and allows now instead of biological sex, to use some other (superficial) categorization for division. /eg: Thinkers-Feelers/ I'm pretty sure we'll also overcome this with time, so no worries.

Reactions: acd
when it comes to psychology, they differ much more from others of their own sex than the sexes differ from each other. The differences that we see between the sexes are only on average, not absolute. cha That is why it is incorrect and distasteful to make judgments about a person's character based on his or her sex. Our concept of gender has permeated our perceptions in ways that are no longer helpful, and are frequently harmful.

In summation, I think we should not be afraid to examine the differences written in our genes. The more we understand about such things, the better. But out of respect for individual autonomy, and in recognition of statistics, we should not apply to specific people what we have learned about genders. An average of half the world's population will not describe a person.

That's all.

+1000

I pretty much agree, especially with the highlighted portion.

People are very complicated and are not the summation of the labels that can be placed upon them. We may never fully understand the nature of our minds. Science and statistics can grant us insights into what generally occurs but we must be careful as what generally occurs may not be applicable to particular cases. As Carl Jung once said, "Every individual is an exception to the rule. To fit such individuals into a rigid system is futile. To stick labels onto people at first sight a childish parlor game"

Not too much to add except, I fully agree.

Most people here know how much I love labels, and generalizations (and boxes :D). However there is certainly a time and a place for that, and it can't always be applied. Doing so in unwarranted situations causes nothing but problems.

I agree with OP.

The only thing I would add is that "judgements about a person's character based on his or her sex" may be strongly influenced by sexual interest in that person by the one making the judgement. That is to say, sex-biased judgements are not solely influenced by the sex/sexuality of the one being judged.

To eradicate such mis-judgement is as difficult as trying to objectify matters of taste (either in respect of the object or the subject). It requires a psychological/emotional self-awareness which many can attain, but few can constantly maintain.

Men and women are different. They have different physiques, different reproductive organs, and to some extent, different brains.

The problem is, even though we know a lot more now than we did twenty, or even, ten years ago, we still don't know much. The topics of gender, sexuality, sex, biological sex differences and all the various fields that impinge and overlap in these areas (e.g., physiology, sociology, psychology, athletics, politics and law, etc.), are such that we are likely still very far from having a comprehensive understanding of these topics. They are very complex, they are difficult to study, and often times controversial. Even studying the effects of various hormones on the male or female brain is difficult because many hormone molecules are too large to cross the blood-brain barrier. On the other hand, these topics are fascinating and incredibly interesting to study. But, the bottom line is that any strong opinions people have today related to these topics may be premature.

Cheers.