College Recommendations? | INFJ Forum

College Recommendations?

Sep 20, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am a lot more calm now :), going to start applying out of state..in a way I feel this is better as I really wanted to leave florida..

I would love to go to a university out of state, but I am uncertain..I generally just want to go to a friendly, open-minded area. Doesn't have to be great, just recognizable enough..and that offers programs in the Sciences..

if you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it :)

Going to keep this open while I keep on doing research..

Reactions: rawr
Old Dominion! [lol]

CSU is a pretty good school, I heard. I got started applying this year and it is my first choice. It's in Northern Colorado, in a town of about 100,000. They're really close to the mountains, so there's lots of outdoor activities, if you're into that. The town is pretty open minded and friendly. Great science programs! They've got the second best atmospheric sciences department in the nation, and one of the best engineering programs out there. Great physics department as well. Not so sure about other sciences; I've only looked into atmospheric sciences and computer engineering. Weather wise, the temperature ranges from the 30s in the winter to the 90s in the summer. Mild weather, generally.

Reactions: Wyote
What kind of weather are you willing to deal with? There are some good colleges up north (like mine :D), but the cold would be a shock for someone from Florida.

University of Chicago, Brown.

My number one and number two.

What kind of weather are you willing to deal with? There are some good colleges up north (like mine :D), but the cold would be a shock for someone from Florida.

I can adapt pretty well :) would love to move to a place with cold weather

Also if the college offers dorms, that will be great as I really don't have relatives in other states..(mostly distant)

Last edited:

Also if the college offers dorms, that will be great as I really don't have relatives in other states..(mostly distant)

most colleges require freshmen to live in the dorms regardless. so that shouldn't be a problem.

Will consider that soulofthelaurel :)

I want to go beyond my associates, I really want a masters.

My unweighted gpa is a 3.2
My weighted is a 4.4

They meant distance, I think :p

And yea, that should get you into some decent schools, try the Community College of Northern Nebraska. The student population is only about 25 people, so you are sure to get a highly tailored college experience!@

But besides that I don't know much.

How about size, creed, expense, and private vs. public? To break it down:

Would you prefer a religious institution of any particular kind, or would you want to avoid those?
Do you need generous scholarships to make the expenses manageable?
Do you care about class sizes? Do you typically work closely with the teachers, or do you tend to sit in the back?

I would suggest looking for a strong local GSA, in any case. (Some campuses are much better or much worse than others in that respect.)

How about size, creed, expense, and private vs. public? To break it down:

Would you prefer a religious institution of any particular kind, or would you want to avoid those?

I would generally prefer to avoid those..
Do you need generous scholarships to make the expenses manageable?

Yes, I am applying to a lot of grants / scholarships..

Do you care about class sizes? Do you typically work closely with the teachers, or do you tend to sit in the back?

Private universities seem more expensive, that's the only drawback. Expenses are crucial for me..otherwise I don't really mind though prefer close interaction.

I would suggest looking for a strong local GSA, in any case. (Some campuses are much better or much worse than others in that respect.)
.......:)

I mean- how far are you willing to go geographically? Are you willing to go across the country, or do you want to stay within a certain driving distance, or what?

www.collegeboard.com make an account and start a search with all the parameters you are looking for. It is the easiest way to find schools.

Wish I could customize SAT scores and GPA in there too.but it works well :)

Ignore GPA. Schools want WEIGHED GPA, not unweighted. therefore, you have a 4.4 and it isn't even remotely a factor. Also ignore SAT for now. Simply find schools that you think will be good. Not by what they require, but what you like. Once you have a decent sized list, THEN go through it and remove schools that you don't really care for at all, or you are POSITIVE you will be wasting your time with applying to.

Wish I could customize SAT scores and GPA in there too.but it works well :)
I think they actually do, When I used to religiously go on there, there was this option called "What are my Chances?" and you enter in the school you are thinking about and your gpa/sat scores and they give you a percentage.

You should also check out www.Zinch.com

CSU is a pretty good school, I heard. I got started applying this year and it is my first choice. It's in Northern Colorado, in a town of about 100,000. They're really close to the mountains, so there's lots of outdoor activities, if you're into that. The town is pretty open minded and friendly. Great science programs! They've got the second best atmospheric sciences department in the nation, and one of the best engineering programs out there. Great physics department as well. Not so sure about other sciences; I've only looked into atmospheric sciences and computer engineering. Weather wise, the temperature ranges from the 30s in the winter to the 90s in the summer. Mild weather, generally.

All true. And you could take some classes at the nearby community college to save money, it's mostly all transferable.

AND! You could hang out with me lol.

If you might be interested in the medical field, Emory University in Atlanta is pretty great. It's not just medicine, but mainly. You have to live on campus as a freshman, but it's right near this place called Little 5 Points in Atlanta where there is alot of cool and eccentric places to shop and eat and such. Plus, Atlanta has a kickass Pride parade. Not that most of that had to do with the school; just thought you might like the location. I have a friend going to Emory to be a neurosurgeon and he loves it.

Here's a link to the school website...
http://www.emory.edu/home/index.html