College Advice? | INFJ Forum

College Advice?

Ignatius413

Feb 17, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
So basically, I'm set for graduation in a few months and I'm a bit torn between two different paths. I've gotten a lot of scholarships from a large university (Kansas State University) and have basically gotten the majority of expenses covered at that establishment. I've also received a full ride to a local community college via Presidential Scholarship, and (if I choose to attend there) will be undertaking their honors program as well as be getting a quite a bit of extra money through local scholarships to do basically whatever I want (gas, car payments, video games, etc..).

I know socially, I would thrive at a big university, but I'm a bit worried that I'm not mature enough to handle the huge change and might completely blow off the first year of my studies there at K-State.. I tend to get completely sidetracked when there's a lot of different activities to do and people to meet, and have suffered occasionally in high school for it. I'd also need to still pay for part of room/board, the meal plan, and books/tuition while keeping a bit of money for my leisure..

Right now, I'm leaning mainly towards the local community college route as I'd still be getting all my classes taken care of (which would transfer basically anywhere in my state), do particularly well with my honors courses, be able to keep a pretty lucrative job as a caretaker for my autistic brother, and intern at a local abuse center I've been involved with for some time now.

Since my goal is to ultimately attend Washburn University's School of Law program for their dual law/social work program... Would it be more beneficial to take the two free years at a community college? I know a lot of people here are older, and probably have some good insight into the college equation.

- Thanks

Hi Ignatius! That's a beautiful avatar you have.

You know, the community-college-to-university plan is actually a very good and sensible one... if I were in your shoes, and assuming your current living arrangements are suitable for you, and you are relatively happy living in your hometown, then it could really work out well and benefit you financially. It also will give you a couple of years to weigh your options and finesse your plans. Plus, employers look at the school you graduate from rather than where you started. So, community-to-university would be my vote, based on what you said in your post.

Also, if you wind up living in a state university dorm: let's just say that is not always a rewarding experience. Some university dorms are absolutely nasty. Not sure about K-state.

But on the other hand, if you need to get away from your current home and need more independence, then the K-State route might actually be better for you. Looking back on when I was your age, it was a big growing-up experience to move away from home and negotiate living on a big campus.

You may want to run this question by some people at Washburn University, as well, to see what they say.

Good luck! This sounds very exciting for you!!!

...but I'm a bit worried that I'm not mature enough to handle the huge change and might completely blow off the first year of my studies there at K-State..
I think this is your answer. Chances are you know yourself pretty well, and if you're worried about it, it just might happen.

I'd say go the community college route. You'll get to slowly ease into the college experience, and free tuition is always a plus. I hate thinking about paying off my student loans, and they just keep piling up on me. I have a number of friends who went the scholarship at community college route, and they're thriving academically at their universities right now.

I also second the notion that you should take to the people at Washburn, just to see what they say.

community college is cheaper do you associates there first, then university.

From experience: do at least one, if not two years at the community college, especially if you don't think you'll be able to concentrate at a university. I transferred to a university halfway through my freshman year and royally fucked my GPA.

By the time the first year is up, you'll probably be ready to transfer to a university. Do your best to get into a dorm, though. Going straight to an apartment at my last university was very bad for my social life and it's one of the things I really regret.

Screw all that, take as much GRE and CLEP tests as you can and just do the rest online.

Unless you want the experience of it I guess. Then just do whatever floats yer boat.

It is not uncommon to go to community college for two years then transfer to university. It is also cheaper. It's not a bad idea.

I agree that it is not a bad idea to go to community college and then transfer. I didn't consider that and started at a rather demanding (and expensive) university. I dropped out before midterms, not my brightest moment. I am going back to school this fall and have chosen to go to a university, but I will likely be knocking out quite a few of my core classes at the community college during the summer.

Go to the big university. End of story. I highly discourage people from going to a community college, you will never have the "freshmen experience" which is so important for so many reasons.

Go to the big university. End of story. I highly discourage people from going to a community college, you will never have the "freshmen experience" which is so important for so many reasons.

I agree with IS and would say that, depending on what you wish to study, the bigger university will give you connections into your desired field that are harder to come by at community colleges.

I think that either one is a good idea, but as J. Cardigan said, if you f%#@ up your GPA, you will be kicking yourself in the A$$ forever.