Cognitive functions meet unhelpful thinking styles | INFJ Forum

Cognitive functions meet unhelpful thinking styles

justeccentricnotinsane

Community Member
Oct 7, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Hello theorisers! Here's a challenge for those who, like me, love your theory. This has come from a conversation I was having with [MENTION=1378]Orion[/MENTION] on another thread but I didn't want to derail that thread further. It occurred to me a couple of weeks ago that the MBTI cognitive functions may have some sway on what CBT-style unhelpful thinking styles you may be more vulnerable to. Let's just say, as a hypothesis, that one or two cognitive function becoming preferred, focused on, better developed perhaps than the others - one cognitive function becoming overbearing, say - could lead to unbalanced thinking.

The general theory on the below unhelpful thinking styles (which are thought to be the cause of anxiety depression and associated disorders) is that you learn to think this way in early childhood. It's fair to say that you also learn a lot of your personality in childhood. Some of your personality is thought to be inherent (possibly your dominant function?) but cultural learning tends to outweigh the cognitive functions you are born with and has a massive effect on shaping personality.

So, here you go. These are the cognitive dysfunctions according to CBT:

Mental filtering - tunnel vision, focusing in on a negative problem despite many positive aspects. I.e. "The meal went badly because we had an argument" ignoring the fact that for the first three hours you were having loads of fun - it discounts the positive.

Jumping to conclusions - e.g. you see a group of people laughing and think "they're laughing at me" or you think "I am going to fail this exam" without external evidence.

Personalisation - blaming yourself for everything that happens. E.g. your boyfriend has a minor car crash and you think you should have told him/her to go slower.

Catastrophising - e.g. I've failed the exam. My whole life is ruined.

Black and white thinking - if I don't get 100 per cent, I have failed. If I run for 29 minutes instead of 30, I have failed.

Shoulding - E.g. I should be a better cook. I must try harder. I should be able to cope with this - putting yourself under undue pressure.

Overgeneralisation - E.g. I said something embarrassing. I always say things wrong.

Labelling - calling yourself names (I'm such an idiot!)

Emotional reasoning - "I'm anxious, so something is going to go wrong", "I'm angry so I must have been hard done by" - interpreting events according to how you feel rather than what actually happened.

Magnification/minimisation - Enlarge the positive attributes of others and minimise your positive attributes. "I won the tennis match because my opponent was distracted by something else". "They don't mean it, they're just being polite".

OK, sorry, I know there's loads there. But basically, which do you use? Can you see any way for this to fit with Ni, Ne, Ti, Te, Fi, Fe, Si, Se. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there is a direct correlation between the functions and the thinking styles. I mean does have certain functions make you more vulnerable to some thinking styles.

The question here is - do different personalities suffer from different types of anxieties? And if so, should they be treated in a different way?

Reactions: Broken705
Mental filtering - tunnel vision, focusing in on a negative problem despite many positive aspects. I.e. "The meal went badly because we had an argument" ignoring the fact that for the first three hours you were having loads of fun - it discounts the positive.
Very rarely.

Jumping to conclusions - e.g. you see a group of people laughing and think "they're laughing at me" or you think "I am going to fail this exam" without external evidence.
Nah, I'm usually optimistic.

Personalisation - blaming yourself for everything that happens. E.g. your boyfriend has a minor car crash and you think you should have told him/her to go slower.
No.

Catastrophising - e.g. I've failed the exam. My whole life is ruined.
I do that sometimes but I don't really believe it. I just like to whine.

Black and white thinking - if I don't get 100 per cent, I have failed. If I run for 29 minutes instead of 30, I have failed.
I do that.

Shoulding - E.g. I should be a better cook. I must try harder. I should be able to cope with this - putting yourself under undue pressure.
All the time lol.

Overgeneralisation - E.g. I said something embarrassing. I always say things wrong.
Nah.

Labelling - calling yourself names (I'm such an idiot!)
Insulting yourself is boring. Way too predictable.

Emotional reasoning - "I'm anxious, so something is going to go wrong", "I'm angry so I must have been hard done by" - interpreting events according to how you feel rather than what actually happened.
Idk, but probably.

Magnification/minimisation - Enlarge the positive attributes of others and minimise your positive attributes. "I won the tennis match because my opponent was distracted by something else". "They don't mean it, they're just being polite".
Sometimes it's really true though. o_O

They're probably not related to cognitive functions. Enneagram is more likely for some of them.