Coca cola & others boycott Facebook | INFJ Forum

Coca cola & others boycott Facebook

slant

Capitalist pig
Donor
Dec 30, 2008
MBTI
None
Trying to figure out why all of these corporations are boycotting Facebook. Can't get any good leads on it. Facebook's entire business model relies on selling data to these 3rd parties... I'm not sure that they are actually losing any money because all that's being stated is that advertising was stopped, which is not really how facebook makes most of it's money anyway.

Are these companies "riding the trend" to get a better reputation for their brand? What strikes me is that everybody knows these big companies exploit third world countries and they're not exactly the poster child for what they're allegedly boycotting. This was one thing I thought, but it still doesn't feel right.

It feels like there must be some sort of threat Facebook has to these companies markets, maybe legislation or policy that Facebook is advocating that hurts them? Then they're giving Facebook the squeeze. What's worth noting is that YouTube has not been boycotted by these companies, they're owned by Google, so it's something specifically about Facebook. Don't know what though.

facebook is allowing trump to use the platform to spread hate that would otherwise be banned
So does that mean that the Democrats are behind it, like, because the companies have active relationships with Democratic politicians and funding them they are doing this in order to help the Democrats win?

I wonder what lobbying these companies are wanting the Democrats to do though. Tax cuts? Trump did tax cuts for corporations. Doesn't really make sense

National Republican Senatorial Cmte $20,337 $337 $20,000 Political Party
Democratic Congressional Campaign Cmte $16,846 $1,846 $15,000 Political Party
Hoyer, Steny H $16,200 $6,200 $10,000 Candidate (D-MD05)
Democratic Senatorial Campaign Cmte $15,944 $944 $15,000 Political Party
National Republican Congressional Cmte $15,530 $530 $15,000 Political Party
Biden, Joe $15,388 $15,388 $0 Candidate (D-PRES)
Warner, Mark $13,925 $12,925 $1,000 Candidate (D-VAS2)
Perdue, David $13,491 $8,491 $5,000 Candidate (R-GAS1)
Sanders, Bernie $12,158 $12,158 $0 Candidate (I-VTS1)
Ferguson, Drew $11,600 $5,600

Coca-cola contributions for 2020.
They gave a lot more to the Republicans it looks like. Some to Joe Biden. Some to Bernie Sanders. Hmm

Coca-cola contributions for 2020.
They gave a lot more to the Republicans it looks like. Some to Joe Biden. Some to Bernie Sanders. Hmm
That's interesting.

It sort of proves that these are not political donations as much as they are simple bribes. They don't care who wins, so long as that person feels indebted to them in some way.

There's something going on here and it has to do with Facebook specifically. When Alex Jones was banned from all of the social media platforms, Facebook did it as well.

Yet this time all of the companies are jumping on Facebook...I can't find anything about lobbying info that Facebook might be lobbying for something that's going to hurt these companies. And it's not the rest of business going against big tech because they're not doing anything to Google. Why target Facebook specifically? Who gains if Facebook goes underwater?

There's something going on here and it has to do with Facebook specifically. When Alex Jones was banned from all of the social media platforms, Facebook did it as well.

Yet this time all of the companies are jumping on Facebook...I can't find anything about lobbying info that Facebook might be lobbying for something that's going to hurt these companies. And it's not the rest of business going against big tech because they're not doing anything to Google. Why target Facebook specifically? Who gains if Facebook goes underwater?
Rival platforms?

Platforms more structurally able to control information flows? (like YouTube).

Could be a bunch of things for cui bono.

In my humble opinion democracy is being redefined by the presence of facebook and social media. It's a powerful platform. the market is easier to manipulate without it.
Right but how do corporations benefit from that, I think they actually benefit more from social media than otherwise. How does coke benefit by eliminating Facebook

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...-change-as-facebook-advertiser-boycott-grows/

Seems to me simply a case of bandwagon-jumping. That, when a company takes a 'moral stand' like this by boycotting (e.g.) Facebook, other companies have a choice to either follow suit and appear to support the cause, or not follow suit and appear to oppose the cause.

This is important for them because, in an age of highly politicised consumers, it can significantly harm profits if a vocal minority begin to boycott the products themselves because of assumed political affiliations.

Look what happened to that chicken chain in the US, for example.

I think this is sufficient explanation.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...-change-as-facebook-advertiser-boycott-grows/

Seems to me simply a case of bandwagon-jumping. That, when a company takes a 'moral stand' like this by boycotting (e.g.) Facebook, other companies have a choice to either follow suit and appear to support the cause, or not follow suit and appear to oppose the cause.

This is important for them because, in an age of highly politicised consumers, it can significantly harm profits if a vocal minority begin to boycott the products themselves because of assumed political affiliations.

Look what happened to that chicken chain in the US, for example.

I think this is sufficient explanation.
I think this is definitely a factor but for all of these companies to target ONLY Facebook when you could argue similar things are happening on YouTube to me indicates it's an attack specifically on Facebook. And I don't know why that is

I think this is definitely a factor but for all of these companies to target ONLY Facebook when you could argue similar things are happening on YouTube to me indicates it's an attack specifically on Facebook. And I don't know why that is
Because Facebook is the only one to have faced critique for allowing freedom of speech.

YouTube, Twitter, &c. have engaged in the censorship that has been demanded of them by the politicised marketplace.

Right but how do corporations benefit from that, I think they actually benefit more from social media than otherwise. How does coke benefit by eliminating Facebook
I think the tendency of information to spread like wildfire is a double edged sword to many corporations. Wasn't coke embroiled in viral myths of why coca cola is bad for the health, etc.? I think what corporations want is to manipulate the market and not give them access or gateways to dissenting opinion that will go against their profit targets.

The polarisation seems to deepen every day.

I just read an article about JK Rowling deleting a tweet of hers praising Stephen King because of the latter's stance on Transwomen (Pro).

I don't know what the fuck someone's writing talent has to do with their political views, but apparently it matters now.

The fin de siecle energy of the age is palpable - the maturity of the discourse is degenerating rapidly.

Because Facebook is the only one to have faced critique for allowing freedom of speech.

YouTube, Twitter, &c. have engaged in the censorship that has been demanded of them by the politicised marketplace.
Mmm but Facebook banned Alex Jones so this still doesn't make sense. Interestingly enough Google did not remove Alex Jones podcast from Google podcast app, but they got no negative press for that as it largely flew under the radar.

Mmm but Facebook banned Alex Jones so this still doesn't make sense. Interestingly enough Google did not remove Alex Jones podcast from Google podcast app, but they got no negative press for that as it largely flew under the radar.
Alex Jones is one guy - they still face criticism.

And about Google, there's your answer - no negative press = no necessary action.

What do you think is going on? You don't seem to be satisfied with this answer.

Rival platforms?

Platforms more structurally able to control information flows? (like YouTube).

Could be a bunch of things for cui bono.

I personally see it as largely backing the popular opinion of the fan base but also beneficial to take down the independent, non official avenues of communication. These are hard to control and the influences change rapidly. Easier to market and communicate when there are approved channels.

In my humble opinion democracy is being redefined by the presence of facebook and social media. It's a powerful platform. the market is easier to manipulate without it.
Yes.

They limit the information streams into easier to manage content delivery systems in place. We all have that crazy uncle that's wrong almost always but when you combine the crazies at a macro level and they demand change and negative press they become annoying to deal with.

I think the tendency of information to spread like wildfire is a double edged sword to many corporations. Wasn't coke embroiled in viral myths of why coca cola is bad for the health, etc.? I think what corporations want is to manipulate the market and not give them access or gateways to dissenting opinion that will go against their profit targets.
Absolutely. We're on the same page.

Here you go.

Reactions: Wyote
Here you go.

I don't think this is it. This is what they're saying it is; political. But again... Facebook doesn't actually care about free speech and Corporations that are boycotting Facebook actually don't give a shit about politics, that donate to both parties, whoever wins they lobby, they don't care who.

The only incentive corporations have to do anything is the profit motive. Everything like donating money to charities and woke commercials are all brand imaging moves to boost the value of their reputation.

So with Facebook's reputation already have been damaged recently with the public hearings about security, this is a hard blow to Facebook's image. For other companies to essentially launch a PR campaign against Facebook demanding policy changes in the company,

Imagine if companies stopped doing all business with Toyota because they wanted Toyota to extend the length of it's warranty coverage on all of its cars sold.

Pretty weird behavior from companies.