Churchill's Cigar Stump Fetches

Krumplenump

Community Member
May 29, 2009
MBTI
eftagawrg
2718049081-churchill-s-cigar-stump-fetches-4-500.jpg

SKY NEWS

The wartime prime minister abandoned the stub to attend a Cabinet meeting - and it was picked up by a Downing Street worker.

The valet sent the four-inch stub to a friend with a note jotted on Number 10 writing paper.

The friend kept the souvenir until his death, at which point the souvenir stogie passed to a relative.

It was bought by a private collector at a sale in Norfolk.

Auctioneers Keys, of Aylsham, said the cigar had been expected to fetch around

An Alberto Giacometti sculpture recently sold in Sothebys for

Last edited:
Illusion of value is right. Jewelry Diamonds are apparently worth more than industrial.

You can't do anything with Jewelry diamonds. They just sit there and sparkle.
They're useless, like Edward Cullen.

Edward who? Ah just googled it....the guy from Twilight?

Apparently vampire films are always popular during a depression. Maybe its something to do with the feeling that you're being sucked dry!

There's been a lot of apocalyptic films in recent years, which kind of adds to the general sense that we are all going to hell on a hand cart!

One issue this whole investing in art scam, that the rich have got going on, raises is what is art?

I know there is no all embracing definition to this, but is it fair to differentiate art from entertainment?

If art is meant to make you think and feel and entertainment is really just related to enjoyment, but doesn't challenge you in anyway then one is a threat to the established order because it makes you question things, whilst the other kind of sucks up peoples emotions by letting them live vicariously through it and therefore reinforces the established order (or as Bill Hicks put it: 'go back to sleep America!').

This definition would make every genuine piece of art a mini revolution for the human mind and entertainment the instrument of the power elite.

65 mill for a statue, is that piece of work really that important to the human experience? I don't think so. So if they are creating a value system around art along such lines as things like: who the artist was, how significant the piece of art is in the progression of art (historic value), how many pieces the artist turned out, then it is creating a skewed value system. Should each piece not be valued in terms of its contibution to the human experience, in which case what has that

Last edited:
Well said muir, people have strange priorities. I might be able to understand a certain hype over the cigar stub of Churchhill had he not been such a tosser, completely undeserving of the post-war glamour he basked in. He stole his famous speech as well from Chamberlain.

I think they should incinerate that cigar stubb right now, just in case modern science allows them to use DNA off it to recreate Churchill.....he might become like one of those heads in a jar in Futurama, spouting imperialist shite for the rest of eternity!

We need an online petition.....burn the cigar stubb right now! The future of humanity depends on it!

To be fair though, shouldn't the title read: Churchill Cigar Stump fetches 350GBP?

The 4,200GBP was for the butter dish.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're 50 nicker out there Shai.

water diamond paradox

Where?

Reread the original post.
Quite right, I assumed you subtracted 350 from 4500 and came out with 4200, I just imagined the butter dish came with the cigar or the cigar was presented on the butter dish or something, no matter.

If that were so, then your math would be wrong.
My maths is shite, as I confessed in patrickys thread about super duper mathematics.

But I was good at figuring out nets of shapes quickly.

Christ, what a lot of money for a trinket of an arsehole.

Why should your opinion of the person have any bearing on the value of the trinket? What makes the stump valuable is the fact that Churchill was a prominent historical figure. I'd wager a similar item used by Hitler would sell for even more.

Why should your opinion of the person have any bearing on the value of the trinket? What makes the stump valuable is the fact that Churchill was a prominent historical figure. I'd wager a similar item used by Hitler would sell for even more.
That's true.

so if I were to have the finger of a certain fascist leader, in a pickle jar.

what do you think it would fetch?

I wouldn't pay for his finger, but I'd fork our for his jack boots.

Prove they're his.

Was this fascist a Known World Leader?
Probably a hell of a lot.

well to say the least he wasn't a pleasnt fellow to those he didn't like.