Child labor in the US. | INFJ Forum

Child labor in the US.

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
"The U.S. Federal Fair Labor Standards Act, which governs child labor in the United States, provides no minimum age for children working on small farms with their parent's permission.Nov 17, 2011
End

I just learned about this. You know who is not having a hissy fit over it? Liberal media.

Because it’s a nonissue...

Reactions: Skarekrow and the
Nice to see everyone is as concerned with child labor as they are with illegal immigration.

I’m not concerned as it’s a situation that both parties that would be involved with would not like. Farms look for consistent work day in day out. That cannot be given by a minor as they cannot work during school hours, so use is limited during planting and harvesting seasons. The minor’s parents must consent to this working arrangement as well.

I’m failing to see the importance to stamping out this minor loophole that is most likely meant for family farms to allow for children to help and not have the labor department kick in their door

Looks like the vast number of child laborers on US farms are undocumented migrant workers. It also seems the only folks throwing a "hissy fit" over it are those who have been fighting for migrant farm workers rights for decades. But your point @Eventhorizon is well taken. Its not a story that gets covered much, I have heard several stories about it over the years on NPR. https://www.npr.org/tags/161300390/farm-workers
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I think its reasonable that as a civilized society we should set age limits as to when a person can work. Granted it may be hard to determine because one might argue that the sooner you teach someone how to do something the better. One might argue also that as a child doing something as simple as spending time helping dad fix the car or mom wash the dishes is now labor and must be regulated. I think we can probably be reasonable about it though and recognize that if you work for or with mom and dad it doesnt have to be considered labor that needs to be regulated by the state. However the physical toll of working a hard job like that on a farm where you are exposed to the elements shouldnt be allowed until you are of an age where you can make better rational choices or just choices in general. As examples you overheat, need to take a break, need to search out water....whatever it is. There is an age when children become better able to do that because they are more aware of themselves. Also I watched a documentary that indicated children are more susceptible to heat stroke and the effects of the sun.

@Stu without getting into a discussion about right and wrong of illegal immigrants, my feeling is they shouldnt be here but if they are until they can be removed they should be afforded basic human rights. Regardless of illegal or not if you put a child to work or allow a child to work you are held responsible.

Last edited:
Id probably be more all about the "give the kid time to be a kid" idea if not for thinking about whats taken place in humanities past. We probably are not as bad as whats come before but we can certainly do better.

Grow up EH

1. Initial post doesn't properly illustrate the problem.
2. Do you actually care, or is this something to use for smashing Liberals.
I do care. And because I care I wonder why the focus is on making sure illegal aliens are taken care of as opposed to ....oh I dont know...lets say children and homeless Americans.

Trying to solve two different problems independently is a thing you know.

Personally I think it's ok to let kids work on a farm. Farming is more than a job, it's a way of living. I'm against abusing this loophole to get cheap labor though.

Trying to solve two different problems independently is a thing you know.

Personally I think it's ok to let kids work on a farm. Farming is more than a job, it's a way of living. I'm against abusing this loophole to get cheap labor though.
No concern for lost childhood or the fact kids are more susceptible to heat stroke and sun related sickness to include cancer?

I think its reasonable that as a civilized society we should set age limits as to when a person can work. Granted it may be hard to determine because one might argue that the sooner you teach someone how to do something the better. One might argue also that as a child doing something as simple as spending time helping dad fix the car or mom wash the dishes is now labor and must be regulated. I think we can probably be reasonable about it though and recognize that if you work for or with mom and dad it doesnt have to be considered labor that needs to be regulated by the state. However the physical toll of working a hard job like that on a farm where you are exposed to the elements shouldnt be allowed until you are of an age where you can make better rational choices or just choices in general. As examples you overheat, need to take a break, need to search out water....whatever it is. There is an age when children become better able to do that because they are more aware of themselves. Also I watched a documentary that indicated children are more susceptible to heat stroke and the effects of the sun.

A kind post.

No concern for lost childhood or the fact kids are more susceptible to heat stroke and sun related sickness to include cancer?
Well only if they ever get that old, and given the poor working conditions and even worse US health care there's very little chance of that.

Why not free labor?