Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
Online privilege test:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/how-privileged-are-you#.ebnwE8Pwy

How Privileged Are You?

You live with 91 out of 100 points of privilege.

1. You’re among the most privileged people in the world. We don’t live in an ideal world, but you happened to be born into an ideal lot. This is not a bad thing, nor is it something to be ashamed of. It just means a lot of other people in the world don’t live life with the advantages you have, and that’s something you should always be aware of. Hey, the fact that you took the time and effort to check your privilege means that you’re already trying.

I simply refuse to give Buzzfeed another rating. The cancer of the internet.

Ugh.....

I simply refuse to give Buzzfeed another rating. The cancer of the internet.
It certainly is. I don't mind using them for a lark, or to kill some time.

I got a hoot from how saturated my results were with restrained contempt:
  1. You’re among the most privileged people in the world. We don’t live in an ideal world, but you happened to be born into an ideal lot. This is not a bad thing, nor is it something to be ashamed of. It just means a lot of other people in the world don’t live life with the advantages you have, and that’s something you should always be aware of. Hey, the fact that you took the time and effort to check your privilege means that you’re already trying.

I don't really understand the point of this whole privilege thing. It just seems like a way to try and make people feel shitty about themselves and diminish their accomplishments in life. What is the end goal of getting people to "acknowledge their privilege"?

I don't really understand the point of this whole privilege thing. It just seems like a way to try and make people feel shitty about themselves and diminish their accomplishments in life. What is the end goal of getting people to "acknowledge their privilege"?
Social justice warriors find that attacking the privileged is a satisfying alternative to actually helping the disadvantaged.

This thread should be retitled “Flaunt your privilege"

I'm less privileged than I thought :D, now who can I go out and hold responsible for these lack of privileges?! (j/k) Even if you're underprivileged, it's not a good idea to walk around wearing it like a badge. It only makes people annoyed or pity you. Yes, we should pay attention to injustice or inequalities, but thinking of ourselves as underprivileged is not necessarily a good thing. Anytime you seek attention for perceived grievances based on inequalities or injustices, most tend to think you're simply seeking sympathy and attention, even if your intent is to simply call attention to common concerns or issues that should rightfully be addressed. So, it's a tricky thing recognizing privilege.

75/100. A couple of points though:

"I have never been told I “sound white.”"

INTPs always have awkward grammar no matter where we are. It is a personality "disorder" that is difficult to hide.

"I have never been catcalled."

It did happen once by a couple of Young Souls of the opposite gender.

You live with 69 out of 100 points of privilege.

You’re quite privileged. You’ve had a few struggles, but overall your life has been far easier than most. This is not a bad thing, nor is it something to be ashamed of. But you should be aware of your advantages and work to help others who don’t have them. Thank you for checking your privilege

Social justice warriors find that attacking the privileged is a satisfying alternative to actually helping the disadvantaged.
-- Actions speak louder than guilt trips!

I was told to "check my privilege" yesterday by a man who politically antagonized his neighbors and now feels intimidated by men in his neighborhood, and in local bars, when he is alone. It was both hilarious and frustrating.

His description of the situation perfectly describes the life of the average woman - being wary of strangers on the street, changing routes if someone seems suspicious, feeling uncomfortable if a big man in a bar asks inappropriate questions... and he kept insisting he was a victim, that I did not understand, and that I was "privileged" because I lacked this experience. While I felt sympathetic for his situation, I didn't think it is a mystery that most women must use caution, intuition and street sense when they are alone in the city, especially when suspicious or intimidating men try to interact with them.
I had to exit the conversation when it became clear I would need to list experiences that qualified as "worse". No thank you.

I do want to listen with an open heart to people who feel marginalized, and I do want to try to change the world so all people are equal and have their needs met, but this was abuse of jargon. (((eye rolls)))

You live with 71 out of 100 points of privilege.

1. You’re quite privileged. You’ve had a few struggles, but overall your life has been far easier than most. This is not a bad thing, nor is it something to be ashamed of. But you should be aware of your advantages and work to help others who don’t have them. Thank you for checking your privilege.

ea0ed7e8faf0265fae86f5c76a1cb649-21.jpg

You’re underprivileged. The world is not a fair or ideal place and you know that because you grew up with several identities that the world is not kind to. You had a lot of challenges to overcome simply to get on a level playing field with most people in the world. It is not your job to educate the world about its injustices, but if you choose to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

Well... fuck. It's because I'm a biracial woman, isn't it? :p

I'm not falling for this shit. Though I may have been "underprivileged' at least I am of the mind to change my situation. Growing up poor from an immigrant family should not make me feel entitled. Instead, it's done exactly what my parents moving to states envisioned for their children- It empowered me to change my situation. It is in my power to do so. And, I have done so already. And now I try to give back what I can, especially to those struggling families that were much like my own.

Reactions: Sriracha
You live with 41 out of 100 points of privilege.

You’re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You’ve had your fair share of struggles, and you’ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

adf2ddc7e59d7e26cad0a916466ebfee-14.jpg

Intersting, I still think that I'm privileged (actually I know that I am) but then again I have some understanding of what the idea of privilege is about. It's not about guilt. It's about understanding and compassion for people who face adversity because of things that are outside of their control.

However, I have to say that I can't take this quiz seriously when at the top it has a link to: '9 Surprisingly Fun Things to do with Your Boobs' - I'll have to try the 'prop a book on them to read'. What an interesting place this online world is.

Your cis white male ancestors worked hard for you cis white male scums to form your exclusive club.

Not privileged? Bullshit. Did they not see my post about my dick? Then again, my butt is mediocre so maybe they have a point.