Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
I've noticed that forum posts are generally content/thought rich, when compared to chat content. Sometimes, on other chats (not the INFJ chat) that the chat consists of dozens of people posting almost nothing except emojis at an unbelievable speed. I know that I'm not exactly culturally attuned to such activity... I'm like "wtf is going on?"

I like the ability to write stuff out in a compact, but complete way, and how responses are always thoughtful, or witty on the forum. Chat can be more fun/funny.

Anyhow, I was wondering about other's different experiences in forum and chat formats.... and wtf is going on when there's emojis flying left and right.

I agree. There is a bit more thoughtful stuff on voice chat sometimes - at least there was the couple of times I was in there but I don't know if that's held up or not. I have a hard time finding time.

Discord attracts younger people. It just is what it is. I tolerate it more than enjoy it on some days and really really enjoy it some days. I like that I find out what I need to know about a person pretty quickly, and I don't mean any of that in a negative way.

I like the real time responses, too.

Last edited:
Chat seems to have a lighter tone, and more relaxed, but it's very much about immediate responses, and in the moment communication. You do get to know people in a way you wouldn't be able to know them on the forum. But, it's also fast paced which can be tough to keep up with. Writing large blocks of text in chat to explain an idea probably doesn't go over as well as it does on the forum :D. So, I think the pacing has a lot to do with it. The emojis can be a cool way of communicating, but it may also stall more serious conversation. The library is there to assist with more serious discussion which is good.

Although, I have to admit, it's tough to connect with most of the conversation in chat. It's very stream of consciousness sometimes, and it's easy to get lost with the changes in topics. People in chat are usually welcoming, but it's not always easy to know when to enter the conversation. It can feel a little overwhelming if you join and can't follow what's going on, or you may feel as if you're interfering in someone's fun or messing with the flow of convo if you join in or someone has to acknowledge you and incorporate you in the convo.

So, the dynamics of chat are tricky. For example, if you wanted to simply have a low key one-on-one chat with someone, it's tough to do, because it becomes more about keeping up with the flow of conversation. It is also a little harder to have a longer one-to-one discussion about something in chat since you're balancing attention with many people at once. And even if you use the chat PM, you may go back and forth for a while, but one person's attention is also being balanced with ongoing responses in the general chat or the forum. It makes it harder to focus on communication with one person for long periods.

Last edited:
When some people have "time" to think their content is full and rich. Chat gives you the ability to see how their mind is working in seconds rather than minutes and hours. I want to put more here but I think it would be taken offensively.

Nah, it wouldn't be offensive EH! INFJs in general need time to think before they respond to some things which is the reason why there is at times such a contrast between the forum and Discord environment. Nothing offensive about that! That is why we have both!

The chat clears the forum of the social stuff/meme/ derailing thread posts that bothered some in the past. It will balance itself out in chat too I think, with time.

Cool thing about forums is that it is there for years and it is a ongoing conversation specifically focused on a certain topic. Also you can search a random topic from the community. Usually more deep content. Cool thing about chat is that its more spontaniouse and i guess more superficial.

Chat is a fun place to do online mingling with friends. It may not always be filled with serious conversation but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's just a bit more difficult to do when you have several people writing all at once and the stream of responses move faster than your eyes can keep up with. This can get frustrating which can make it not worth the effort at times. Unless you are chatting one-on-one. But other than that, chat seems to be geared towards casual talk time with friends.

One of the downsides of chat is the expectations that come along with it (since it is in real time). A response is expected right away which is fine for some people. Personally, I like to sit on my thoughts for a while before putting them out there (another reason it isn't great for serious discussion). And if you step away from a conversation, people want to know where you went. Or you will announce that you will be stepping away and may even give a timeframe of when you will be returning. So much explaining. But I still love it because it gives me an opportunity to b.s. with friends.

The forum is also for mingling with friends but it is more geared towards discussing serious topics with each having its own thread. It is a nice place to drop off your thoughts and walk away without expectations. You do not need to announce that you'll be right back. Whether or not someone responds to your post is up to them (they are usually more for you anyway). And if someone does respond with questions or feedback, then it is understood that you don't need to respond. But if you do, it will be on your time. Nothing attached to it.

There are pros and cons to both. Depends on what you are in the mood for at the moment.

Reactions: 5r6jhd and Gaze