Charisma - What is it and have you got it? | Page 18 | INFJ Forum

Charisma - What is it and have you got it?

Hahaha I’m the most fucking awkward person in real life. :tearsofjoy::neutral:

*cues sad violin music*

What is charisma that you speak of? I never heard of it.

A charismatic person is infectiously enthusiastic. Maybe about life or having fun or whatever their agenda is. They make you want to be a part of whatever they are doing or talking about. There is something empowering about their presence. Their self confidence is enough to overcome your insecurity or your doubt. They are natural leaders. But not all leaders are charismatic.

I've lost what has been already said in the thread (so maybe I am way off the topic), but I would like to add a question.

Moving a step further, if we assume that charismatic person is one with strong self-awareness and capability to inspire and elicit feelings in others (as in, "speaking to", or reaching them at emotional level), would we say that genuineness and vulnerability are criteria to consider? For example, Ted Bundy, who was supposedly very charismatic too.

For example, Ted Bundy, who was supposedly very charismatic too.
Wouldn't put someone like Ted Bundy in the same category as charismatic people, as he was psychologically defunct and delusional. It's the same as saying a psychopathic leader is charismatic, I'm looking at you, Manson (or if you wan't a modern version, Copeland). These kind of people do not take you into account, only their own delusions and agendas.

Genuineness and vulnerability are 2 important criteria to consider. But I get your point, the darker side of Charisma. These 2 factors counter that.

giphy.gif

Wouldn't put someone like Ted Bundy in the same category as charismatic people, as he was psychologically defunct and delusional. It's the same as saying a psychopathic leader is charismatic, I'm looking at you, Manson (or if you wan't a modern version, Copeland). These kind of people do not take you into account, only their own delusions and agendas.
Genuineness and vulnerability are 2 important criteria to consider. But I get your point, the darker side of Charisma. These 2 factors counter that.

I am still not sure that charisma can be interpreted only through “positive” examples. But that aside, my remark was not towards the dark side of charisma, as much as I wanted to suggest that, like often in a scientific research and particularly one with a variety of cases to compare, it is that which is atypical (uncommon) that can hint to deeper understanding.
Though there are better examples perhaps, I’ve brought up Bundy’s "supposed" charisma (as accounted by his biographers and stories of his personal relationships with females), because it could exemplify the relevance of the relational context for the topic – in a way that to understand charisma, we might need to reflect not only about what one person is or has, but about people who perceive as well.

Adding to the qualities listed by other forum members in the previous posts, in my view charisma strongly relates to sense of self-awareness and self-acceptance reflected in the physical presence, mannerism and body language (something that Ren mentions in his video as a calming presence of an INFJ). It also has lots to do with being driven by a sense of purpose or the highly significant personal goal (noble or not), but most of all, I would say it is about communication or "storytelling" skills (including and beyond rhetoric) – which result in projecting a particular narrative of relatability and emotions that resonate with the observer/recipient at an emotional level at which they themselves are particularly susceptible (or vulnerable). I’d even dare say that such skills do not have to be necessarily inherent to person, but one can work on them.

Perhaps I am too influenced by current research and readings on lived experience, but I also believe that to speak of a charismatic person, one has to experience their presence (in some way); otherwise, how can we be sure we are not only speaking of one person’s impression of another person?

I am not psychologist to provide foundations in theoretical insights, anyway; these are only my personal observations.

Perhaps I am too influenced by current research and readings on lived experience, but I also believe that to speak of a charismatic person, one has to experience their presence (in some way); otherwise, how can we be sure we are not only speaking of one person’s impression of another person?

A lot of criminals are very charismatic people, I think Bundy was charismatic.
Good/Bad/Insane is separate from charisma. You can be charismatic and use it for great or terrible things.

A charismatic person is infectiously enthusiastic. Maybe about life or having fun or whatever their agenda is. They make you want to be a part of whatever they are doing or talking about. There is something empowering about their presence. Their self confidence is enough to overcome your insecurity or your doubt. They are natural leaders. But not all leaders are charismatic.

You've basically described my dad lol

#ENFJs

I am still not sure that charisma can be interpreted only through “positive” examples. But that aside, my remark was not towards the dark side of charisma, as much as I wanted to suggest that, like often in a scientific research and particularly one with a variety of cases to compare, it is that which is atypical (uncommon) that can hint to deeper understanding.
Though there are better examples perhaps, I’ve brought up Bundy’s "supposed" charisma (as accounted by his biographers and stories of his personal relationships with females), because it could exemplify the relevance of the relational context for the topic – in a way that to understand charisma, we might need to reflect not only about what one person is or has, but about people who perceive as well.
True, though to me personally it gives leaves a bad taste in the mouth when I read/see how charisma is used to that kind of purpose. To me it drops all meaning of charisma and just falls straight into the category of manipulation.

Cool, what kind of research, if I may ask?

Well, my methodology relies on phenomenology, but the scope is interdisciplinary (heritage, arts and landscape research).
The focus is intangible (natural) heritage

Wow, interesting. Do you rely on the works of people like Paul Ricoeur?

Wow, interesting. Do you rely on the works of people like Paul Ricoeur?

He is on my reading list, but I didn't arrive there yet (I am still in the literature review phase). So far, I've been particularly focused on Merleau-Ponty for environmental perception and art (because my project will be practice-based). Do you have any advice on Ricoeur? :)

He is on my reading list, but I didn't arrive there yet (I am still in the literature review phase). So far, I've been particularly focused on Merleau-Ponty for environmental perception and art (because my project will be practice-based). Do you have any advice on Ricoeur? :)

Not really I'm afraid, I explored his works mostly from a historical-philosophical viewpoint. But he is worth a read if you can find the time—he has quite an accessible style too, which is welcome.

I visited Merleau-Ponty's grave last summer in Paris. It was a really tough one to find in the Père Lachaise :smile:

Not really I'm afraid, I explored his works mostly from a historical-philosophical viewpoint. But he is worth a read if you can find the time—he has quite an accessible style too, which is welcome.
I visited Merleau-Ponty's grave last summer in Paris. It was a really tough one to find in the Père Lachaise :smile:

Yes, I was planning to, thank you :)
When I visited, I didn't even know he was buried there :disappointed: His work is rather interesting, too