Casual curiosity about tag ranks...

Rift Zone

Community Member
Jan 19, 2014
MBTI
INTJ RCOEI
Enneagram
5w6-1-3 sx
I took a glance at the most popular tags in the forum and noticed INTJ ranking rather high there. That's interesting. I wouldn't have suspected it. Could anyone shed some light on why that is? I'm having a hard time coming up with why such a warm an generally human-centric peoples would take such an interest in we *generally don't engage the world on emotional/personal level* creatures.

I think there's a common interest in each other's types because of both the similarities and the differences.

Where the similarities are the ground on which the initial appeal stands, it's the differences that can either make or break the individual bonds. Even the forum community has had such history in recent years.

I neither know nor care to know how exactly the popularity is quantified, but I wouldn't interpret too much into it. It might just be a topic that's currently on people's minds due to recent and recurring drama. Funnily enough, there are some INTJs on here that tend to put themselves apart from the community of late and if I had to guess they're likely to use the tag to mark "their" threads.

I took a glance at the most popular tags in the forum and noticed INTJ ranking rather high there. That's interesting. I wouldn't have suspected it. Could anyone shed some light on why that is? I'm having a hard time coming up with why such a warm an generally human-centric peoples would take such an interest in we *generally don't engage the world on emotional/personal level* creatures.
Well I'm normally considered an INTJ, but I've never used an INTJ tag. I've checked, and my threads don't generally have tags, and those that do are as follows:

- Ethics, morality, personality, values
- civics, conservatism, politics
- nonsense, quotes, share
- MBTI
- INFJ

If you actually click on the tag, you'll find that the threads are mostly made by non-INTJs asking about INTJs. That is, it seems to be mostly people attempting to understand the type, and in this regard I'd agree with @Ginny's first point, in that INFJs and INTJs are 'type siblings' thanks to that shared Ni/Se axis, and so the similarities are such that the differences are sometimes thrown into sharp relief, so there's an enduring fascination for some. In fact, INFJ/INTJ relationships seem to be a common pairing.

Reactions: Rit4lin
I only tag posts for fun.

I think there's a common interest in each other's types because of both the similarities and the differences.

Where the similarities are the ground on which the initial appeal stands, it's the differences that can either make or break the individual bonds. Even the forum community has had such history in recent years.

I neither know nor care to know how exactly the popularity is quantified, but I wouldn't interpret too much into it. It might just be a topic that's currently on people's minds due to recent and recurring drama. Funnily enough, there are some INTJs on here that tend to put themselves apart from the community of late and if I had to guess they're likely to use the tag to mark "their" threads.

Well I'm normally considered an INTJ, but I've never used an INTJ tag. I've checked, and my threads don't generally have tags, and those that do are as follows:

- Ethics, morality, personality, values
- civics, conservatism, politics
- nonsense, quotes, share
- MBTI
- INFJ

If you actually click on the tag, you'll find that the threads are mostly made by non-INTJs asking about INTJs. That is, it seems to be mostly people attempting to understand the type, and in this regard I'd agree with @Ginny's first point, in that INFJs and INTJs are 'type siblings' thanks to that shared Ni/Se axis, and so the similarities are such that the differences are sometimes thrown into sharp relief, so there's an enduring fascination for some. In fact, INFJ/INTJ relationships seem to be a common pairing.

Hmm... Yea, I fully agree with our similarities. The way I see it, we are very much the same type of creatures, more or less value the same things for the same reasons. Seems what distinguishes us most is how we engage the world: human-centric INFJs on one side, compared to the ~inept in that realm INTJs,who are better adapted to things like programming and physics. Those differences are our greatest source of conflict and misunderstandings between our types... It's also our greatest strength! We're pretty good at what we do in our respective realms, and when we click well we end up gaining the benefit of the strengths of the other realm -a real solid combination as I see it.

I only tag posts for fun.
|
Hmm... What kind of fun do you have with it?

...recurring drama. Funnily enough, there are some INTJs on here that tend to put themselves apart from the community of late and if I had to guess they're likely to use the tag to mark "their" threads.
Not all that surprising. I know how INTJs can be...I used to be one! lol - one of the ones who's world was, shall we say, very small.

Reactions: Rit4lin
Any way I want.
Sound approach.

...but I don't want to derail the thread here.

Meh... not sure there's much more to discuss on OP... I mean I'm well aware of the range of interaction our types have... We got it all -"recurring drama" and "In fact, INFJ/INTJ relationships seem to be a common pairing" and everything between. Not to mention we are very similar types of creatures, theoretically and otherwise. Not surprising it's a topic, just didn't expect it to be that much of one, is all. I'm guessing @Ginny is right about INTJs themselves significantly contributing to that.

Having had one actual relationship with an INTJ I can say that my takeaway is that it's a dual edged sword setup if the pairing is lacking in certain aspects. If the INTJ lacks emotional depth and maturity and the INFJ is too sensitive, then it won't be pretty. Conversely, if both are capable and possess the correct character strengths and maturity then it can be very good. Sort of a Heaven or Hell dynamic, depending on the two.

Having had one actual relationship with an INTJ I can say that my takeaway is that it's a dual edged sword setup if the pairing is lacking in certain aspects. If the INTJ lacks emotional depth and maturity and the INFJ is too sensitive, then it won't be pretty. Conversely, if both are capable and possess the correct character strengths and maturity then it can be very good. Sort of a Heaven or Hell dynamic, depending on the two.
Seems like what to shoot for is something like a synthesis between 'intuition' and 'principles', where they both hold each other in check and bring their strengths to the table.

Reactions: Misty
My experience with an INFJ was much better, but the INTJ and I were together only a few months. If you want to hear about positive INTJ \ INFJ relationships you might ask sir @John K about that.
Seems like what to shoot for is something like a synthesis between 'intuition' and 'principles', where they both hold each other in check and bring their strengths to the table.
Idk, I only stayed with the INTJ for 3 months or so before ending it, honestly because on the one hand he was insanely deep, emotionally speaking. He wrote poetry, and with me too. We could communicate subliminally, almost. But when he got angry he was a verbal nightmare, so immature in this way. I think that INFJ's have just as much morality, if not more than a lot of INTJ's, we just listen to our guts about people, where and INTJ listens to the logical patterns that encompass their intuition. But surely if the two are mature then I think that INTJ can teach INFJ to be tougher and INFJ can teach INTJ how to get in touch with their emotional depths.

Last edited:
Idk, I only stayed with the INTJ for 3 months or so before ending it, honestly because on the one hand he was insanely deep, emotionally speaking. He wrote poetry, and with me too. We could communicate subliminally, almost. But when he got angry he was a verbal nightmare, so immature in this way. I think that INFJ's have just as much morality, if not more than a lot of INTJ's, we just listen to our guts about people, where and INTJ listens to the logical patterns that encompass their intuition. But surely if the two are mature then I think that INTJ can teach INFJ to be tougher and INFJ can teach INTJ how to get in touch with their emotional depths.
I think you're right.

I was thinking of the pairing in a general sense when it comes to teamwork, along the lines which you described. For instance, in criminal justice jargon, I think that 'miscarriages of justice' (where the innocent are punished) happen when 'gut' and 'suspicion' go wrong (and so more 'principle' can avoid it), but 'errors of impunity' (where the guilty go free) are what happen when 'gut' and 'suspicion' are not heeded (when 'principle' is overused, or used officiously).

I think you're right.

I was thinking of the pairing in a general sense when it comes to teamwork, along the lines which you described. For instance, in criminal justice jargon, I think that 'miscarriages of justice' (where the innocent are punished) happen when 'gut' and 'suspicion' go wrong (and so more 'principle' can avoid it), but 'errors of impunity' (where the guilty go free) are what happen when 'gut' and 'suspicion' are not heeded (when 'principle' is overused, or used officiously).
Precisely. There HAS to be both in justice or it can go wrong, indeed. And it's critical that when INFJ says they're SURE that the TJ and other non infj types listen.. because there are times when we have suspicions, yes. But if we tell you our gut is fully engaged, and we're really sure, then that intuition has to be followed.

So let's say the INFJ says, 'right, I have warning bells', what happens then?
Well, you're not likely to impress an INTJ science geek with any of that...unless they managed to see it for themselves.

Precisely. There HAS to be both in justice or it can go wrong, indeed. And it's critical that when INFJ says they're SURE that the TJ and other non infj types listen.. because there are times when we have suspicions, yes. But if we tell you our gut is fully engaged, and we're really sure, then that intuition has to be followed.
We're not wired like that; we don't get it, at all.

I dated an INFJ for 3 years. It left me with the impression that you guys are just as bright, intuitive, and on top of your game as any INTJ is. I've seen it in action; you really do pick up on things I'm completely oblivious to.

For the science geeks who don't get it, it goes like this: for one, humans are inherently emotional creatures; having a different approach to emotionalism doesn't rule that out, and having a poor relationship with them could be argued as being defective. Not to mention that being oblivious to such a pertinent realm of our existence is by no means empowering.

A personal take: Life is a waveform. The electro-chemical model of life that enjoys popularity works well for "chemical life", where processes are linear and do indeed boil down to roughly electro-chemistry. Biological life transcends linear complexity by essentially existing as quantum computers. All life is waveform; we're a modulation of energy, our own type of energy...it's how and why we communicate with plants, each other. INFJs' pick up on life's energy better than most. They're not picking up on abstract concepts, they're being impacted by the very nature of what we are.