Car Stereotyping

Persona

Community Member
Dec 10, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Do you ever stereotype someone about the type of car (truck/suv/van) they drive?

-Would your perception be changed if the age of the person driving that car was different? (Young vs. Old)
-Do you think the type of car someone drives can give a slight hint of the type of person they are? (Well grounded/successful/wealthy/cheap/careless, etc.)
-What are some stereotypes you've given some people who drive certain cars or car brands?
-Have you made prejudgments based on how someone's kept the inside of their cars? (Dirty/clean/messy/scented)
-How do you feel about cars and car brands? Are you a car enthusiast? If so, what car companies do you favor, and why?

-Does hearing other people play music loudly in their car bother you? Whether you're in the car, or traffic wise? Do you play your music loud?
-(offtopic) Have you ever made eye contact with people in the cars around you? If so, what do you do, and how do you feel?
-(offtopic) Do you decorate the exterior/interior of your car? (stickers/rims/custom plates/body kit/stereos, etc.)

Stereotyping often changes based on location with cars, (uncommon vs common cars) so we'll see how this goes.

I'm not the best person to answer these questions since cars and I have never been romantically close, and never will be.

Because of my perspective (others might call it 'world view' but I'm not a big fan of that term) of idealising the underclass, I am usually compelled to have more positive feelings towards someone in a cheaper and older car. Generally, I'm quite indifferent to what car someone drives, just as I am to how people dress. Yet when I see very expensive cars I must admit I always think: "What a waste of money" for something that is not essential - in my view anyway. I cannot stand ostentatiousness, although I appreciate some people genuinely just like nice cars without being cocky about it.

I tend to intentionally not look at upmarket fancy cars and those driving them when on the road, because I can sense their desire for me to look at them and thus stroke their ego. I don't like to play their game. One time I remember a guy driving something 'impressive' looked over at me in the car, with a smooth look thirsting for a nod of admiration which he seemed to expect by way of experience. I looked up at the roof, and looked away. I think I got too much satisfaction out of doing that. That was quite a few years ago.

Have you ever made eye contact with people in the cars around you? If so, what do you do, and how do you feel?

I try and avoid eye contact with strangers, but often look at people in their cars and wonder about their life. I think: "Here I am, living my own life, with my own little world and thoughts, friends, responsibilities etc. Yet here is someone else, they've got their own life, their own problems etc." I find people interesting.

I used to have a ridiculous commute to work every day. Like there have been days where it's taken me over 3 hours to drive 50 miles because of a stupid snow storm. At that point I'm just happy if no one is in the ditch.

Otherwise, I haven't found a correlation between bad drivers or a certain type of people to car manufacturer.

I know a couple of CEOs that drive a used mini coop and a Ford Focus. They're frugal and budget conscious, and care more about building a nest egg than the car they drive, which is why they're going to be millionaires (if they're not already). I guess my bias here is Focus drivers or Coop drivers are sensible, reliable, and eco friendly. But I don't find myself consciously thinking that whenever I see one. In fact I tend to think these vehicles are rather gimmicky/douchey and I wouldn't purchase either personally. I'm just not into hatchbacks.

I also know a 20 something that has a brand new BMW something series and that he manages his finances well enough to put a crazy down payment on it and has a super low interest rate on whatever he had to borrow (if anything). I've known a couple of BMW owners like this, as well as Lexus.

I also know several people that purchase way outside of their means and can't afford whatever the hell they're driving.

I do tend to believe old people shouldn't drive. This is often proven when I find myself passing someone driving 10 under the speed limit and I realize they're the crypt keeper.

I also totally judge falling apart/broken down cars. Not in a mean way, because I've there, but in a, "yeah, I know what that's like, buddy" kind of way.

Also totally judge messy vehicles. My dad is a hoarder (like legit) and I tend to be hyper aware of mess/clutter for that reason. Not that my car is immaculate, it isn't. My back seat is a high heeled shoes' graveyard. But dirty/packed totally freaks me out.

Last edited:
My brother's car is always messy inside! Yuck! Disgusting!

I have a full license but doubt I'll ever own a car. Don't need it, can't afford it, public transport is better for the environment.

Do you ever stereotype someone about the type of car (truck/suv/van) they drive?
Yes but it is country/region based.

-Would your perception be changed if the age of the person driving that car was different? (Young vs. Old)
yes.

-Do you think the type of car someone drives can give a slight hint of the type of person they are? (Well grounded/successful/wealthy/cheap/careless, etc.)
A little as the year of the car and its gasoline consumption will give an indication of the kind of income they have to keep the car.

-What are some stereotypes you've given some people who drive certain cars or car brands?
People in europe who drive HUMMERS generally are trying to compensate for something, it doesn't help that it's usually a short guy who drives one.

-Have you made prejudgments based on how someone's kept the inside of their cars? (Dirty/clean/messy/scented)
Yes a little.

-How do you feel about cars and car brands? Are you a car enthusiast? If so, what car companies do you favor, and why?
They're just a mote of transport. Not really. But I do like the 2000+ camaros and toyota tundras and the lexus sedans and the LFA. But its not like I care if I see any of those, its just a car.

-Does hearing other people play music loudly in their car bother you? Whether you're in the car, or traffic wise? Do you play your music loud?
Yes. It bothers me more when I'm not in a car myself, as these folk are usually doing this early in the morning in a neighbourhood whilst people are trying to sleep. In the car, no not really, sometimes if I think no one is home I do at home though.

-(offtopic) Have you ever made eye contact with people in the cars around you? If so, what do you do, and how do you feel?
I let my glance slide over them. I mind my own business, nothing in particular.

-(offtopic) Do you decorate the exterior/interior of your car? (stickers/rims/custom plates/body kit/stereos, etc.)
I don't own a car at this moment in time as I live next to campus, but I'd place a cross somewhere for goodluck lol. If it's about my future motorcycle tho, I'm going to get a biker bell for that.

Do you ever stereotype someone about the type of car (truck/suv/van) they drive?Only volkswagon drivers.
Would your perception be changed if the age of the person driving that car was different? (Young vs. Old) no
-Do you think the type of car someone drives can give a slight hint of the type of person they are? (Well grounded/successful/wealthy/cheap/careless, etc.)Sometimes but not reliably.
-What are some stereotypes you've given some people who drive certain cars or car brands? Older guys who drive expensive sports cars are recently divorced or looking for something.
-Have you made prejudgments based on how someone's kept the inside of their cars? (Dirty/clean/messy/scented) I never judge people by their car's lack of cleanliness.
-How do you feel about cars and car brands? Are you a car enthusiast? If so, what car companies do you favor, and why?Cars are necessary. I drive reliable cars but would prefer a luxury car.

-Does hearing other people play music loudly in their car bother you? Whether you're in the car, or traffic wise? Do you play your music loud? It annoys me if their music is awful. I play music loud enough.
-(offtopic) Have you ever made eye contact with people in the cars around you? If so, what do you do, and how do you feel?Yes and it's almost always a mistake. I usually feel horrified because half of them are doing something nasty like nosepicking. One dude who made me laugh put a batman mask on while holding eye contact.
-(offtopic) Do you decorate the exterior/interior of your car? (stickers/rims/custom plates/body kit/stereos, etc.) nope

Somebody violates INFJ values by placing inanimate objects over people or their emotions: time to talk shit

People in europe who drive HUMMERS generally are trying to compensate for something, it doesn't help that it's usually a short guy who drives one.
That's not just a stereotype for Europeans. I think this stereotype can also accurately describe many an American.

I rarely make judgments about a person based on the make of their car (aside from the above), but I have been judged by mine before, and it's usually from upper-class snotty bitches who drive Aston Martins or some shit like that. I do judge by the interior, though. I can tell when someone has a long commute for the food wrappers and empty coffee cups and I just feel bad for them. I can tell the women who have young kids and she's a single mom, I can tell the college student who is working two jobs to pay their tuition because the backseat is basically a closet, I can tell the young guy who has zero responsibility, I can tell the mid-life crisis.

What I absolutely hate seeing is there will be this dad driving an $80,000 truck all suped-up and stupid and he has his wife and kids living in a one-bedroom apartment. I see this all the time and I have to stop myself from slashing the tires and spray painting some sort of slur on it.

I used to live in a small town when I first moved to my state. Everybody makes eyecontact and smiles/ waves in a small town. In big cities, all of that common courtesy goes out the window. Rudest drivers anywhere.

I used to have a ridiculous commute to work every day. Like there have been days where it's taken me over 3 hours to drive 50 miles because of a stupid snow storm. At that point I'm just happy if no one is in the ditch.

Otherwise, I haven't found a correlation between bad drivers or a certain type of people to car manufacturer.

I know a couple of CEOs that drive a used mini coop and a Ford Focus. They're frugal and budget conscious, and care more about building a nest egg than the car they drive, which is why they're going to be millionaires (if they're not already). I guess my bias here is Focus drivers or Coop drivers are sensible, reliable, and eco friendly. But I don't find myself consciously thinking that whenever I see one. In fact I tend to think these vehicles are rather gimmicky/douchey and I wouldn't purchase either personally. I'm just not into hatchbacks.

I also know a 20 something that has a brand new BMW something series and that he manages his finances well enough to put a crazy down payment on it and has a super low interest rate on whatever he had to borrow (if anything). I've known a couple of BMW owners like this, as well as Lexus.

I also know several people that purchase way outside of their means and can't afford whatever the hell they're driving.

I do tend to believe old people shouldn't drive. This is often proven when I find myself passing someone driving 10 under the speed limit and I realize they're the crypt keeper.

I also totally judge falling apart/broken down cars. Not in a mean way, because I've there, but in a, "yeah, I know what that's like, buddy" kind of way.

Also totally judge messy vehicles. My dad is a hoarder (like legit) and I tend to be hyper aware of mess/clutter for that reason. Not that my car is immaculate, it isn't. My back seat is a high heeled shoes' graveyard. But dirty/packed totally freaks me out.

BMW is my favorite car brand, and like you said with that person in their 20s, I'd only be getting one because I'm well financed and I've studied and researched them for a long time. But like any vehicle, people might think something of you without knowing who you are, and what you did, or have to go through to get that vehicle.

Rattlesnake%20Control.jpg

Okay guys I know you have some stereotypes for this one! [MENTION=14675]Night Owl[/MENTION] [MENTION=1814]invisible[/MENTION] [MENTION=14657]bolognamacaroni[/MENTION] [MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION] [MENTION=12050]Scientia[/MENTION] [MENTION=5511]ruji[/MENTION] [MENTION=13723]Misadventure[/MENTION]

Okay guys I know you have some stereotypes for this one! [MENTION=14675]Night Owl[/MENTION] [MENTION=1814]invisible[/MENTION] [MENTION=14657]bolognamacaroni[/MENTION] [MENTION=11651]Artisan[/MENTION] [MENTION=12050]Scientia[/MENTION] [MENTION=5511]ruji[/MENTION] [MENTION=13723]Misadventure[/MENTION]

Yeah, if it were black with tinted and/or tin-foiled windows, I'd say it was pedo-van.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 49
What do you mean? That guy is clearly a rattlesnake hunter...

If we're about to turn this into a "Shit you see on the freeway" thread, I've got some ammo.

attachment.php

Can I also just mention the people judging us for taking pics on our phone while driving? ;)

Caught this one in a parking lot, how bout it? :nod:

i9CNWgE.png

Basically everyone who drives a pick up truck is the bane of my driving existence. Because 9/10 people in trucks completely disregard the safety of others around them (I may be exaggerating but usually they are sucky drivers imo). My blood is just boiling thinking about people in pick up trucks right now. I am so irrationally angry!!!!1!1!1!11

Reactions: Flavus Aquila

Lol! What a nice gent to offer to relocate those poor rattlesnakes.

Caught this one in a parking lot, how bout it? :nod:

i9CNWgE.png

Seems legit. Love how he's (or she's ;)) rocking the only mini van model Nissan has ever produced, and is also into canoeing.

Seems like a well rounded individual.

Basically everyone who drives a pick up truck is the bane of my driving existence. Because 9/10 people in trucks completely disregard the safety of others around them (I may be exaggerating but usually they are sucky drivers imo). My blood is just boiling thinking about people in pick up trucks right now. I am so irrationally angry!!!!1!1!1!11

IDK how it was in the rest of the world, but back in the early 2000s where I lived in California, it seemed like everyone and their mother decided one day to buy an SUV. They pissed me off because you can't really see past them.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
IDK how it was in the rest of the world, but back in the early 2000s where I lived in California, it seemed like everyone and their mother decided one day to buy an SUV. They pissed me off because you can't really see past them.

They are awful too. Especially in winter weather because they drive like they are invincible. Basically people in big cars really grind my gears. God damnit where are my beta blockers!?

When I see a Subaru, even a performance model, I expect the driver to be very conservative in his driving, sticking to just below the speed limit, no matter what.

When I see someone driving a big fat late model white sedan (eg. a white Toyota Camry), I expect the driver to be very obstructionist in his driving: somehow always preventing anyone else from overtaking, by getting in the way.

Audi and Volkswagen drivers seem to like being ahead of other drivers, in a non-obstructive way: they resist being overtaken by speeding up.

Drivers of convertible Ferraris and Lamborghinis, I think of as being drug dealer, sex addicted foreigners.

Pimped out cars, I associate with violent, and uneducated subculture.

Etc.