Cannibalism | INFJ Forum

Cannibalism

Aug 8, 2009
MBTI
XXXX
Cannibalism
This is simple: share your views on this topic.

As for my views...

It depends on the situation and how one views death. In my opinion, death is not a terrible thing at all. Socrates says it well, "death may be the greatest of all human blessings." What would I do to prevent death? Surely I would not eat a temple; I would not eat any part of it... Nope, not even a little finger. In my religion, we consider bodies to be temples which is why we are not permitted to get tattoos, drink (unhealthy), et cetera. Even if the person had died, I would not eat a temple in order to save myself from this world that really is not so magnificent.

From a non-religions perspective: I would have nothing wrong with it. Ugh... My mind is so blank right now... I'm sure it'll get going once this starts up.

I think untimely death is a pretty bad thing, and of course I have a survival instinct. That is much more important to me than the preservation of a corpse. Even when I believed that a corpse was a body without its soul, I would have been willing to eat one after the soul was gone, because at that point it is no longer a person. The mind that existed there no longer cares about the body. The idea of the body being a temple is reliant on the idea of it containing a psyche, and all the work that goes into keeping it in good shape is really for the purpose of keeping the mind around longer.

I wouldn't do it in the simple reasoning that i'm a vegetarian, and my moral standards are really quite high. The person may be dead already, but personally the though of eating someone's, or anything's, flesh makes me sick to my stomach. Besides, that person deserves some respect, and I don't really care if I was starving.

I wouldn't do it in the simple reasoning that i'm a vegetarian, and my moral standards are really quite high. The person may be dead already, but personally the though of eating someone's, or anything's, flesh makes me sick to my stomach. Besides, that person deserves some respect, and I don't really care if I was starving.

How is eating a body that no longer has a soul disrespectful? Do you really think he/she cares?

How is eating a body that no longer has a soul disrespectful? Do you really think he/she cares?

It's disrespectful to the person that was living. Whichever way you look at it, that person was a relative of someone's. Everyone is entitled to have a burial of somesort, and have people show some common decency to the person who had died.

Mind you, I am buddhist so it probably plays a huge part in what I think is right and wrong. There are plants that could be eaten, so i'd just take my chances with those. Also, most people usually wouldn't eat flesh off of a living human being in the street, so I don't see why it makes it OK to do it to a dead person.

Last edited:
I think untimely death is a pretty bad thing, and of course I have a survival instinct. That is much more important to me than the preservation of a corpse. Even when I believed that a corpse was a body without its soul, I would have been willing to eat one after the soul was gone, because at that point it is no longer a person. The mind that existed there no longer cares about the body. The idea of the body being a temple is reliant on the idea of it containing a psyche, and all the work that goes into keeping it in good shape is really for the purpose of keeping the mind around longer.

How I understood "untimely death" from my religious perspective is not ready to be judged... Which is why you must always be ready, eh.

But, I'm curious, since you're not religious what does it mean to you, exactly?

How do you know the mind no longer cares about the body? Wait... Our perspectives are too different, this is probably a waste me asking you.

How I understood "untimely death" from my religious perspective is not ready to be judged... Which is why you must always be ready, eh.

I meant anytime before the person feels ready to die. Most people who die of natural causes do not find it traumatic, because they have lived long lives and do not have a lot to look forward to.

How do you know the mind no longer cares about the body? Wait... Our perspectives are too different, this is probably a waste me asking you.

Of course at that point I think the "mind" no longer exists, but even with a soul considered, what difference would it make? What happens to the body has no effect upon the soul in heaven. You believe the whole earth will pass away and be replaced, don't you? Why then would material things matter?

I meant anytime before the person feels ready to die. Most people who die of natural causes do not find it traumatic, because they have lived long lives and do not have a lot to look forward to.

Of course at that point I think the "mind" no longer exists, but even with a soul considered, what difference would it make? What happens to the body has no effect upon the soul in heaven. You believe the whole earth will pass away and be replaced, don't you? Why then would material things matter?

We believe that our bodies will be resurrected to a perfect state.

Death is evil (though it is also good). If I was in a situation where I had to eat the body of someone who died, I would do it.

I would have to dispose of the body before hand so I wouldn't be tempted to do that. Because in my right mind I would rather die of hunger.

I wouldn't eat a dead human primarily because I wouldn't know how to prepare it.

i'm not sure if this relates to your topic becuase i don't believe it's cannibalism, but would you eat your own placenta after giving birth to your child?

i'm sorry random...it just came up in my head

All humans get resurrected, Mormon or not. We consider it a gift, it doesn't matter if you go to Hell, you still get a perfect body.

Is that perfect body in some way dependent on the earthly body? What happens to those whose bodies were cremated or otherwise destroyed?

Is that perfect body in some way dependent on the earthly body? What happens to those whose bodies were cremated or otherwise destroyed?

We simply are not told these things, we don't know how it works. However, I believe that taking care of our bodies has to do with respect. Would you vandalize a house of God? (Just pretend you're religious, okay.) No, since our bodies are temples, we should not vandalize them but take care of them.

I wouldn't eat another human being. Ever.

If there were people around me starving and my body could be of use to them, I wouldn't mind being eaten (after a natural death). As long as they were respectful about it, that would enough for me (disrespecting the dead is wrong). We all come from the earth, and we all return to it in one way or another. Nutrients and atoms recycle and all that good stuff...

Two things: One, diseases. I can think of one disease humans can only get if they partake in cannibalism, so that's not my thing. Two: Disrespect of the living relatives. I'm sorry. If my mother or friend died and I found out someone ate them (or part of them) I'd be sick to my stomach even if the other person survived.

But then, I don't ever see myself in a position where I'd actually have to eat someone, either.

But then, I don't ever see myself in a position where I'd actually have to eat someone, either.

I'm going hiking through Donner Pass this fall. Anyone else wanna come?