Can you evolve into an INFJ? | INFJ Forum

Can you evolve into an INFJ?

Artemisia

Community Member
May 20, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Since my teenage years, I have tested as an INTJ. In the past year, however, I have always tested as an INFJ and feel that the description fits 32-year-old me better than INTJ. I have definitely developed my F side more these past two years, a trait which has made me more popular because I seem more agreeable.

The question is, was I always an INFJ who repressed my F side or am I, in fact, still an INTJ with a developed F side? People definitely interest me more than ideas (which also interest me, but usually when these ideas are applied to people).

Maybe you've just got good with Fe. We have all the cognitive functions...
I'm ENTP but I've definitely developed a strong Fi the older and older I get. I've been mistaken as an ENFP many times.
Well actually I always score as INTP but I really think I'm a reserved ENTP.

I ALWAYS test as an INFJ...I think it's easier to type as some types, especially if like me you were raised around NF types so it was hard not to develop certain aspects. But ultimately even if you develop different functions there is always a default that you have-- it's basically you're fighting yourself to ignore it. For example my default when my NF family tells me a problem is to think of a solution so they don't need to deal with it again, when all they really want from me is sympathy, however, after years of them getting mad when I started to solve their problems instead of sympathize, I subconsciously "Catch" myself and first sympathize, then offer a solution if they seem receptive to it. So the default, no matter how much we train ourselves, is always there.

I think the tests aren't perfect either, and while retesting might help you be sure it isn't a fluke the first time, if you test and retest a lot you probably start to unconsciously shift your answers...

If you really feel like a personality type matches you more than what your current or past tests show, you should listen to that feeling at least as much as the tests. And who is to say you can't shift from one personality to another? I've also heard of some feeling like they are hybrid personalities, with one attribute too close to its opposite to be clearly one way or the other.

My limited interaction with INTJ personalities is they seem very similar to INFJ in many ways, but what an INFJ will reveal about their thoughts, INTJ types usually don't, and vice versa. An INFJ might think something sarcastic about a situation but not say it out loud except around their closest confidants, but an INTJ will say it in mixed company. Meanwhile, an INFJ might opine aloud some quirk of a situation that they find fascinating even though no one else sees it. I'm guessing an INTJ will notice the same thing but just not mention it except for in close company.

That's my take...

Last edited:
Yeah, but you gotta find "the super rare pineal stone" and stick it down to your throat. You can still remain not an INFJ and have pretty good stats anyway.

On a more serious note, don't trust tests, even paid tests are not that accurate. Stick to descriptions and written material.

Developing the functions over time can definitely make you more rounded as a person, which could affect MBTI test results when done at a later time. If you want to know your base type, it is best to study your strongest functions and how you react to the world around you; you'd just have to know which functions changed over time - which you seem to have done.

Since my teenage years, I have tested as an INTJ. In the past year, however, I have always tested as an INFJ and feel that the description fits 32-year-old me better than INTJ. I have definitely developed my F side more these past two years, a trait which has made me more popular because I seem more agreeable.

The question is, was I always an INFJ who repressed my F side or am I, in fact, still an INTJ with a developed F side? People definitely interest me more than ideas (which also interest me, but usually when these ideas are applied to people).

from what ive learned is INFJ's seem to have the tendency to repress the F.. when threatened or in company that may be hurtful..

I walked around in my life thinking I was so strong and a tad cold hearted but I think that speaks more to the conundrum of this type to begin with.. we are adaptable

if you feel like your natural motion is to council or UNDERSTAND others.. youve probably always been NF

if you feel like your natural motion is to council or UNDERSTAND others.. youve probably always been NF

Yeah, i think that is a good way to say it. A lot of people think that the F means INFJ types are emotional or irrational, but that is far from the truth. NF personalities are concerned with feelings, and in many ways that it the most rational way a human can operate.

Reactions: muir
Can you evolve OUT of an INFJ, I'd like to know, haha. ;)

do you think it was repressed based on your experience?

Yeah, but you gotta find "the super rare pineal stone" and stick it down to your throat.

This

The last one was found in an overgrown mayan pyramid deep in the jungle by a jesuit mission in 1894

It's believed one might be found in the stone urn carved above a doorway in Petra. Beduoin have been shooting at the urn for centuries trying to break it but none have succeeded; that would probably be your best bet

Good luck!

This

The last one was found in an overgrown mayan pyramid deep in the jungle by a jesuit mission in 1894

It's believed one might be found in the stone urn carved above a doorway in Petra. Beduoin have been shooting at the urn for centuries trying to break it but none have succeeded; that would probably be your best bet

Good luck!

Some say that there's people who are born with the blessing itself, and some others are blessed with the the road that leads to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: muir
Some say that there's people who are born with the blessing itself, and some others are blessed with the the road that leads to it.

Aye...the keepers of the grail

Reactions: BrokenDaniel
My understanding is you can evolve into any type theoretically. If you work on your less developed functions and are successful anyway. Could be wrong though.

When I was younger I believe I had more feeling than I do now. I would not be able to say where it went but I can say I made effort to get rid of some of it because it was confusing to me and did not seem to offer a good way forward.

You can but I'd much rather evolve into a charizard

"Evolve"

I don't know. I feel like once I hit 30, I've developed my F side more. Some of you may be right in saying that I was probably always an INFJ and was repressing the F side. I also feel I've become more feminine these past two years....not sure if the F side and femininity go together.