Mar 9, 2009
Gridania
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
[video=youtube;T_lh5fR4DMA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_lh5fR4DMA[/video]

Can men and women be just friends?

I say yes, but that is only because I have only wanted to hook up with most of my female friends, not all of them.

What do you think?

Yes, I need to clarify though. I could probably have sex with any one of my female friends (except for one which does not attract me at all for some reason) the reason I wouldn't has more to do with valuing the friendship more than any potential sex I could glean from it. more so than any "I'm not attracted to my friends" type reason. So I guess you could say in a way there's really no reason not to be friends with someone just because there is attraction there, especially since it's something I'm not likely to ever act on. hopefully that makes sense.

Yes, and I say this especially since most my friends IRL are male.

Of course, does it count if they are homosexual?

Last edited:
Of course they can because to assume they can't means that every guy is attracted to every woman he's friends with and has no self control or restraint. I think the real question is whether men and women can be friends, especially close friends, for long periods of time without developing an attraction to each other which would lead to more than friendship. There are many who have friends of the opposite sex, and that's all there is to the friendship while others go further because of what they've been through or shared, grow to respect and develop an interest or attraction to each other. But this doesn't mean men and women can't be friends.

Last edited:
We can and do have friendships with the opposite sex, BUT they are not entirely "platonic." The sexual dynamic makes such friendships much more difficult.

Thing is, really depends on the nature of the friendship. The guy friends I once had saw me mainly as a sisterly type, so sexual attraction was never and would never be part of the equation. They were like big brothers to me. It would be weird if we went further.

Men canbe just friends with their most unattractive friends, although they would probably have sex with them to if the situation presented itself.

I don't understand why one would need to lack sexual attraction in order to keep a friendship limited to just a friendship.

Reactions: invisible
I don't understand why one would need to lack sexual attraction in order to keep a friendship limited to just a friendship.

Isnt that the point of the OP video? All the girls admit that their male friends would have sex with them so it really isnt just a friendship?

Sure. Maybe not if I was absurdly attracted to them though...

Isnt that the point of the OP video? All the girls admit that their male friends would have sex with them so it really isnt just a friendship?

Until they do have sex (or some kind of romantic venture.) with them it is just a friendship. Isn't it?

Very close friends, I would be inclined to think at one point, one person or the other will develop feelings except when:
-Both are close friends due to some other circumstance (friends through boyfriends/girlfriends)
-They are a part of a larger group of friends.
-They are completely the other person's "non-type." For example, if I became close friends with a heavily bearded guy who had a strong non-attraction to Asian nerd girls.
Edit: -If one of them are gay. x3

This is what makes it extremely rare, but not impossible.

Acquaintances, work, professional, study, and online: I believe it is possible and common.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
Rarely. Unless one or both of them is homosexual.

Some theory would like to say no.

Personally speaking, it's a one-deal offer.... once the lust enters the equation; wham.

Besides, the 'Just Friends' definition must be cleared; What defines (and not defines) 'Just Friends'?
Does the amount of sexual attraction (or tension) matter?
Does it has to be a completely chaste thing ? Without 'wow, dude/chick is hot; I would tap them if I get a chance / if I can.'?
What about sex itself (which maybe turns it into a sort of a fuckbuddy)...

Most of my friends are male, and no, we don't want sex with each other. Most of my male friends are happily married and older than myself.

I sure hope so, because otherwise I'm cheating on a lot of girls.

My best friend is a straight male and I have plenty of gay friends as well. I also have a few other male friends that are straight. So yeah, I definitely believe it's possible. I have no sexual feelings toward them and they have no sexual feelings toward me. I find that they think of me as their little sister and I dig it that way. Personally, I'd rather be 'one of the guys'. There's something about 'being one of the guys' and feeling very secure and protected when you're out at the bar in case some shit goes down. I have a big mouth that tends to get me in trouble....

i don't understand that either.

Until they do have sex (or some kind of romantic venture.) with them it is just a friendship. Isn't it?

Debatable.

Its a one sided friendship in that the man wants to do the woman and the woman does not feel the same way. Certainly it can be one sided in other ways. When I think of what a friendship is, it isnt a relationship where one person is sexually interested in the other, or if it is that is the friend zone and guys are typically unhappy in that position. I admit that I do put up (even enjoy!) with a few of these "one sided friendships" but I benefit in other ways. To me, this is the angle the video is taking and it fits with the way I have seen things for awhile.

One thing I did notice is that all of the women interviewed in this video are very attractive.

Also, I agree with [MENTION=731]uberrogo[/MENTION]; for instance, a girl might not want to date or have sex with you, but she might be willing to make you pie. Pie is good. Yum.