Can large countries have legitimate democracy? | INFJ Forum

Can large countries have legitimate democracy?

Barnabas

Time Lord
Oct 7, 2009
Florida man
MBTI
wiblywobly
Enneagram
timeywimey
Most western democracies are actually democratic republics, being that people vote for others to vote for them.

However for the last century most western countries have been calling themselves simply democracies, which begs the question. Can countries with large populations have an effective 1 man 1 vote democracy?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Still no.

Reactions: Neuropedia
Yes, but it has to be multi-leveled democracy:

household -> community -> city -> nation

Furthermore, each level must maintain its independent democratic status,
and can only be acted upon by the level of governing one level above it.

I think yes, but unfortunately a system like Switzerland's would not work in a large country.

However I do think people should be able to have a lot more rights than they do, for example, the right to remove the leader/representative if he/she doesn't live up to expectation. leaders are not held accountable for their actions as they are in Switzerland and I feel this is something that needs to change and needs to be placed in the hands of the people.

western politics and democracy

First of all there is no such thing as a democratic republic. Let's get another FACT out of the way first too.
The United States is a REPUBLIC. That means that 99% of the population or majority cannot control or make decisions for 1% of the minority. It literally means that the people, the citizens, not the government, has 100% say
in all of the laws, rules, regulations, and policies made. In a Democracy, 51% of the majority can control 49% of the minority. A Democracy is never ever good, especially for Americans who originally came here from Europe to be 100% free from all other forms of government and social control. Now people love to say that Freedom comes with a price. I challenge all readers of this to reconsider that statement to be false based upon all individuals right, God given or otherwise to sovereignty and total freedom. People will also say that the policies of the US are there for a greater good. What greater good is there than all peoples freedom! Freedom is the greatest good any human being could hope to achieve. If America is anything right now, it is a capitolistic society, not a democracy. In captitolism, cash is king. Is there anybody left in America who really think politicians are elected by the most votes? No; they are elected by the most amount of money they can raise or get bank rolled by from the true owners of this country and the world for that matter, the big banking interest! Please, all people of America need to educate themselves as to what a democracy is, how we could become the greatest nation ever and lead the way to the future by once again becoming a Republic and using the Constitution for it's intended purpose.