Calling someone you're dating your girlfriend or boyfriend? | INFJ Forum

Calling someone you're dating your girlfriend or boyfriend?

La Sagna

I did it! I'm a butterfly!
Oct 27, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
This is along the same lines of the other thread asking how many dates do you go on before you say you are dating, but this is more about labelling somebody your boyfriend or girlfriend.

I'm asking this more in context of a mature person, not a teenager which is totally different. The reason I'm asking is because of somebody I know who mentioned his girlfriend but I know that not very long ago he wasn't even dating anyone. I was surprised at how quickly he had somebody he called his 'girlfriend'.

I have no experience out in the modern dating world so I'm just curious about that.

Curious myself. I've been wondering about this since someone people seem to think they're the same. For example, if you've known someone for two years but never made it official, would it make sense to say you're still "dating" or would you automatically then say they are a 'boyfriend/girlfriend"? These terms sound too cutesy or temporary. Also, once you reach a particular age, calling someone a 'boyfriend" sounds weird. For a teen, it's understandable but odd if you're beyond that point. SO or partner (although people use the term partner for so many different things) sounds more appropriate.

Curious myself. I've been wondering about this since someone people seem to think they're the same. For example, if you've known someone for two years but never made it official, would it make sense to say you're still "dating" or would you automatically then say they are a 'boyfriend/girlfriend"? These terms sound too cutesy or temporary. Also, once you reach a particular age, calling someone a 'boyfriend" sounds weird. For a teen, it's understandable but odd if you're beyond that point. SO or partner (although people use the term partner for so many different things) sounds more appropriate.

Well, this guy is in his 40s and I think that they would have only been dating for two months at the most. I thought that was quick to call her his girlfriend but maybe he has very strong feelings for her.

If you are in the process of dating, then they are your girlfriend or boyfriend. One date whatever it may be with the intention of going on a second is sufficient.

Reactions: the
I feel this term could bev taken lightly and that he could have several girlfriends and it isn't a serious relationship with any of them. Or maybe it is serious, not everyone is the same in this age of pansexual animal-kin gender ambiguous ... people.

Boyfriend/girlfriend is an agreement to date one another exclusively. Until that agreement has been made to one another, i.e. going steady, then each is free to see other people and go out on other dates. If it's not explicitly acknowledged, then the possibility for misunderstanding will remain unless both independently infer themselves to be in an exclusive relationship which would be a case of coincidental assumptions.

its their agreement and not for others to judge. on the other hand as a matter of etiquette when doing introductions i hate it. its so like something tv soaps would say, so silly and childish sounding. surely "this is my friend x" is enough, people tend to quickly work out its something "more than" just friends.

its their agreement and not for others to judge. on the other hand as a matter of etiquette when doing introductions i hate it. its so like something tv soaps would say, so silly and childish sounding. surely "this is my friend x" is enough, people tend to quickly work out its something "more than" just friends.

agree, I'd feel weird introducing as "boyfriend". It almost sounds like you're claiming ownership of them :D. Yeah, introducing them as a friend sounds good.

Reactions: invisible
I guess the term boyfriend or girlfriend can be used anywhere from casually dating to long term relationship. It can be serious or not.

It's totally individual.

I've 'dated' or been on a few dates with the same guy before and never felt it was nothing more than two people getting together. But I'm also hesitant to label things...but that might change if I met the right person. I would never call someone my bf/partner until we've discussed exclusivity and commitment to each other. Otherwise it might be 'someone I'm seeing' - which would mean I've been on more than 3 dates with them and anticipate seeing them more!

Going steady...such a good phrase.
Yeah, it's when you agree to be exclusive I think...unless you're not and that's your thing.
But they become your emergency contact when you go dogging.

If you rate your desire to brag about having a boyfriend/girlfriend from 1-5 and then add this number to the number of dates you have been on, then any number greater than 7 could reasonably be associated with calling someone a boyfriend/girlfriend. (Assuming that at least a second date would be a minimum for a real bragger and six dates would be sufficient for someone reluctant to fess up about the situation to have to admit it).

I see I see now.

Let me sum it up.

Do you want to SAY you have a boyfriend \ girlfriend or do you actually want to have one.

d <------

I ask the person "are you my girlfriend?" and they usually run off screaming.

No but seriously, I would talk about it with the girl before calling them girlfriend to other people. I think that's the most respectful and tactful way to do it. It's hard to do though, because you don't want to get hurt by a surprised "what?! You, my boyfriend?!" response, but that's love.

The point when I call someone my girlfriend is when she stops trying to escape.

The next step is meeting my parent's rotting carcasses.

Stockholm syndrome is romantic

Pointing to your D is not helping you prove your point

Awesome. :) The d is a mark I am using to indicate a drunken post on my part. Just in case one say I look back and think "Wtf!?" Ill see the d, know that I was drunk and it will explain it.

Awesome. :) The d is a mark I am using to indicate a drunken post on my part. Just in case one say I look back and think "Wtf!?" Ill see the d, know that I was drunk and it will explain it.

Clearly you are not drunk enough if you are aware enough to include a d!