Business Relationships

Trifoilum

find wisdom, build hope.
Dec 27, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
How do you do your business relationships? It could be anything from making new connection to maintaining old ones; about how you present yourself, the things you asked or said, the extent of etiquette, how you would attract them......

I'm going on a somewhat business trip on Saturday as my father's aide...somewhat. I doubt he sees me as equal partner given my lack of expertise. Protege, at best? and I would like to know what works for people here before seeing it from my father (for his methods were.... incompatible, at best. Corrupt, at worst.)

1. Plan your topics in advance, master them.
  2. Dress nicely for the trip.
  3. Firmly, shake hands upon meeting, greet & smile. Not too fast and not too slow.
  4. Have purposeful discussion. "What am I here for?"
    • If it is business-formal, speak quickly be sharp.
    • If it is business-causal, speak calmly and be cordial.
  5. Pay attention to sociability
    • If they are speakers, paraphrase and add.
    • If they are listeners, ask them to elaborate.
  6. Check in periodically and trade information(or resources).

What's so complicated about this subject? I give her money, she sleeps with me. Isn't that how all of them work?

Reactions: Nixie

1. Plan your topics in advance, master them.
  2. Dress nicely for the trip.
  3. Firmly, shake hands upon meeting, greet & smile. Not too fast and not too slow.
  4. Have purposeful discussion. "What am I here for?"
    • If it is business-formal, speak quickly be sharp.
    • If it is business-causal, speak calmly and be cordial.
  5. Pay attention to sociability
    • If they are speakers, paraphrase and add.
    • If they are listeners, ask them to elaborate.
  6. Check in periodically and trade information(or resources).

+1 This....and...

I was going to say if you have time - to read everything you can about the purpose of the visit - what the people you are going to meet do - what the product of the business is. You can usually access info online about companies and read their Mission Statement.

Try to understand the basics of the culture of these people. EyeSeeCold said to shake hands. That may or may not be appropriate. Check on basic greeting rituals and so on. Some cultures want for the men to look them in the eyes. Not women. Other cultures think this is rude. You know what I mean.

I don't know how much power play will be going on. You will have to watch others for their actions to lead you in the right direction. Be mindful. Be observant. They will give you clues.

You'll do very well Tri. :hug: I know you'll be able to intuit what's going on even before your father will know what's happening.

Just be yourself and try to get more than you are giving.

It depends on the culture of the business you're in. If it's banking or real estate or some such thing, that'll be different from, say, web development or entertainment.

What is the business?

What is the nature of your business relationship with the party you're going to see?

What's so complicated about this subject? I give her money, she sleeps with me. Isn't that how all of them work?
Aaah, I'd prefer to be told a story. Surely other men has more interesting bedside story than I am?

As per culture, [MENTION=2578]K-gal[/MENTION]; thanks for noticing :) I think their culture is far more oppressing than mine, so (especially with females) I probably should be more cordial. I doubt I'm going to do much of a talking, but....

Mastering the topic is something I'm VERY confused right now. :| maybe I should go read some information about it.

It depends on the culture of the business you're in. If it's banking or real estate or some such thing, that'll be different from, say, web development or entertainment.

What is the business?
Wholesaler. I'm going to factories (...areas I probably wouldn't EVER go myself. Go figure!) to check around and comparing.

What is the nature of your business relationship with the party you're going to see?
Prospect buyer going around, comparing goods and prices in hopes to finding a business partner.

Okay, reviving this.

What do you think about the use of hospitality in business relationship?

I was just noticing that in both trips I've been into, due to the beginner nature of the business, it's always involving meeting someone new, thinking / negotiating of using their services, and seeing that they are employing heavy use of etiquette and hospitality. It's not....necessarily sincere. Sincerity requires openness.

Being an F, or a Fe user, I am more sensitive yet less susceptible on those, not to mention the more cruder versions of concealing certain information. I dunno, I don't contest the morality for certain withholding of information ar to be expected (is it?), it's more like I'm not really..... clear.There's always that mist covering -something- and I don't know what that something is. When's the point where the mist gets too thick, and what does that imply? What does that signify? What is hidden beneath those?

Someone said that there is no 'proper' degree of mist, but you can use the thickness/heaviness of the mist to gauge what's behind them, that there's no reason to have such heavy smoke if they have little to hide. Look at the curtain, they said.

Another said that it should be pushed; suggesting the things they would lose if they won't give out more, or implying we know they can give more.

Another said in the end it is a service you require done, using said contact as a means and agent to do so. If both parties walk away happy, or at least, won't bite you in the ass later, then its all fine.

What do you think?

And how do you feel regarding those 'techniques'? I mean, as far as security were concerned, friendliness does not imply sincerity or openness, or that they will do your job properly, does it? /6

Sounds like you're a buyer of sorts and are in the power position. If thats correct, I'd sit back and watch you're dad. Although his delivery might not be your style, try to really study his responses and translate it in a way that works for you. If you were the one selling, I could offer a little more. All I would really recommend is choosing the person or company who you get along with in a personal sense. It's easier to work with friends.

Change the nature of your business to something where this isn't an issue. A different field, perhaps? When it comes to certian aspects of business, you're Fe's going to feel like slitting its wrsits and tossing itself off a cliff... been there, done that.

Change the nature of your business to something where this isn't an issue. A different field, perhaps? When it comes to certian aspects of business, you're Fe's going to feel like slitting its wrsits and tossing itself off a cliff... been there, done that.
Oh, it's one step of many.

Regarding the bolded one, though; out of what?

Oh, it's one step of many.

Regarding the bolded one, though; out of what?

Out of being abused and mishandled basically. As an Fe, I was really good at sales and figuring people out to promote something (product, argument, etc.) until I looked around one day and realized my life was full of meaningless gestures, conversations and people. That lack of any real connection with your work and what you do on an emotional level will gnaw away at you.

Out of being abused and mishandled basically. As an Fe, I was really good at sales and figuring people out to promote something (product, argument, etc.) until I looked around one day and realized my life was full of meaningless gestures, conversations and people. That lack of any real connection with your work and what you do on an emotional level will gnaw away at you.
Ah, I see. quite a big possibility. Thanks for notifying :)

Ah, I see. quite a big possibility. Thanks for notifying :)
Is this a family business? If it is, I think it's worth giving it a try. I'm in sales (via marriage) and if you told me that ten years ago I wouldn't have believed you. Although it's more or less what [MENTION=2890]Lerxst[/MENTION] described, I've stepped up to the plate and grown a thicker skin because working with my husband is worth it AND my salary is uncapped which beats teacher's pay for me any day.

It is a game. Meeting and greeting. Hand pressing. Refreshments. Just keep in mind your goal and you won't go awry.