Brene Brown | INFJ Forum

Brene Brown

I liked it as well, being "seen" and vulnerable is good... I've said that more than a few times before.

However, in our society it's not usually acceptable for males to be; emotional, vulnerable, and/or weak. It's actually frowned upon and those male emotions are further reduced by the media, objectification isn't a one way street...though certain women will preach that it is. We're all people with weaknesses, vulnerabilities, etc... though some never feel the need to accept or talk about that part of themselves. They tiptoe around it... arrogant, self-centered, and blind - They point the finger at others when emotions get the better of them.

/end short rant

Last edited:
Reactions: knight in battle
[MENTION=4798]Endersgone[/MENTION]
I agree that society tends to underestimate "nonalpha" men:) That's society's problem:)
From my point of view everyone should have same right to be something or not to be something...Though, you can blame women partly because of that. On the other hand we would like someone goohearted, gentle etc., but then you heard some "oldschool" stuff as:
"He should call first." (hello, if he is gentle, he could be shy as well, that two is often paired)
"He should be strong." (yes, how about that if we try to make ourselves stronger, then he could be vulnerable too sometimes:)

[MENTION=1069]Jana[/MENTION]

Yeah, I should have been a bit more specific when I said "certain women" - I didn't mean only women are to blame, but we're given mixed messages and expected to easily cope with it... be unemotional most of the time and emotional only when we're "allowed" to be. I just felt like being a bit ranty in general; I'm sick of people who think they're better than others - really gets my blood boiling.

I've watched this before. I liked it.

Look - you're not in love unless you're scared and fully aware that someone could rip your heart out. There's no way around it. The question is whether or not you're grounded enough to exist in that place without retreating. Most people aren't. Some are. Which are you going to be?

@Jana
be unemotional most of the time and emotional only when we're "allowed" to be.

I agree, I've heard that from my female friends. Even I said some stupid stuff like that...but I am growing:) I've realised that I should embrace the one I love (if I love)...I only can imagine how hard is to be male INFJ who is 21 years:) Really! I am female and my lack of courage and sensitivity in young age was probably more society accepted than your INFJ threads. But, I encourage you to be how you feel. It will pay off in good in future!
Go, [MENTION=4798]Endersgone[/MENTION], Go!

Reactions: endersgone
Her videos are captivating. To believe that weakness and vulnerability actually produces community is probably the best news I can hear.

:peep:

Last edited:
I'd seen this particular TED talk before, but forgot the bit about vulnerability.

It would explain the creative drought.