Brain malfunction and repair. | INFJ Forum

Brain malfunction and repair.

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ

Found this video highly interesting. You may as well.

@CindyLou. It occurs to me you may find something interesting from the posted vid.

Reactions: CindyLou
Thank you EH - that was a very interesting video.

These scans are different from MRIs apparently. I wonder how one is able to get one of these images of their brain

Just a quick point EH.

Psychiatry used ethically as the gentleman in the vid is trying to convey is agreeable that understanding the brain is key to changing how future patients are treated in psychiatry. However, the organic mental breakdowns are much different than experiential breakdowns.

It's important to factor in genetics, nurture, and life experience when 'judging' a treatment plan for mental health issues :D

What I find really interesting is people who are found to have resilience. I don't know much about it but I believe that it's thought that a variety of genetic and environmental factors can account for these differences. It's still a bit of a mystery I think. How some people can experience very difficult experiences say in childhood and come out of it relatively unscaved, whilst others will be deeply affected, why is that?

This one talks about positive emotions and resilience, well that's pretty self explanatory and not suprising;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1201429/

This one describes children who have grown up with adversity and still shown a remarkable level of resilience, despite their circumstances;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_resilience

The cognitive resilience literature has historically focused on specific contexts in which some individuals succumb to stress while others are better able to withstand or overcome it. For example, some children are able to overcome negative life circumstances (e.g., poverty, poor health, violence, lack of family support) that can be devastating to other children These and related studies of resilience have informed our understanding of individual vulnerability to mental health problems such as depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and the onset of schizophrenia Resilience may also help to explain patterns of cognitive decline associated with normal aging and other degenerative processes
There is also an extensive body of research devoted to the study of human performance under stress. Studies in this area reveal and emphasize primarily negative effects of stress on cognition. Unfortunately, beyond addressing training and experience levels, the human performance literature generally fails to address individual differences that may explain or promote resilience to stress.
(I apologise I lost the original source for this).

Last edited:
I think brain scanning is helpful, but then everything should not be reduced to biological factors in isolation in all cases. In some cases yes, but these are usually purely medical. Medicine and Psychology is going along this reductionist route in some cases, in research and application when it shouldn't. Wisdom is needed here to know what brain scans and genealogy are able to give in isolation. It depends on the particular scenario. Many conditions are better explained when behaviour and experience are examined, along with biology. We are more than our brains and genes.

What's interesting about this video is that it is approaching brain scanning in a more holistic way, understanding the differences in different brains and conditions and trying to approach treatment accordingly.
Interesting because it's coming from an opposite direction of what I have just said...using scans to get clearer on the particular differences in peoples conditions and symptoms, and understanding brain plasticity and applying that in practical and useful ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Professor Snep
I don't think any one medium should be relied upon to find answers. This is a tool that's never been available before and only offers one piece of the puzzle. Still it's a piece that's been missing until now.

Reactions: Littlelissa
Good point EH, agreed.

This is interesting info. What I'd also like to start seeing are the uses of hypnotherapy and what tapping into the subconscious can do for brain health. It's a shame that the result of King Louis XIV of France's commission on the truth of hypnotism turned up incorrect, else we might already have some more interesting tech on the subconscious.

news.psu.edu/story/141251/2014/03/18/research/probing-question-does-hypnosis-work

Reactions: Sandie33