Born in the Wrong Decade | INFJ Forum

Born in the Wrong Decade

INFJok

Community Member
Nov 27, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Does anyone feel like they were born in the wrong decade? I do.
I feel like I should've been a kid in the 70s, a teen in the 80s and a young adult in the 90s because now I feel like a grown woman on the brink of retirement!

Know all the songs from back then and can't get me to be a big fan of music today!
Does anybody else feel this way?

P.S. The 90s are coming back....I think.

Some people think it's space (where they live), some people think it's time (when they live). The fact is, you don't belong, and you can't blame time. You would've been an outcast a couple decades ago too.

yeah, sometimes, it feels as if I should've been born in the Victorian era. For some reason, I think I would've fit in better within that time period (or circa Pride and Prejudice). On the other hand, although I was preteen in the 80s, I consider myself a bonefied 80s kid. I grew up on the songs, tv shows, culture of the time.

Hah funny, I was just telling my husband yesterday I wish I had been born in 1969 like my bio-mom.

So, yes. I get this feeling.

I think it would have been nice to be born in the 40s... I know we always romanticize the past but I really do think that life was a lot easier for the boomers. Low unemployment, great economy, great music, great films, honest people, less crime-- the list goes on and on, really.

I feel pretty comfy in this age. After all, it's a culmination of the best of everything which came before it, right?

I feel pretty comfy in this age. After all, it's a culmination of the best of everything which came before it, right?

In some cases, this also applies to the worst things.

I think it would have been nice to be born in the 40s... I know we always romanticize the past but I really do think that life was a lot easier for the boomers. Low unemployment, great economy, great music, great films, honest people, less crime-- the list goes on and on, really.

Says the MAN.

Yeah, this is something I've thought out before and I've come to the conclusion that I was born in the perfect era. Pity it was the 80s in some ways...those matching floral wall paper dresses my mom dressed the two of us in were NOT a good idea in hindsight....or in the moment even.

How and ever....every decade came with its troubles, so I don't understand why people look at it that way. If I didn't have the troubles I have now, I'd have some other decades troubles and possibly be less independent that I am now.

If we;re talking about style or tastes I might have said to your the twenties or the forties or the seventies for various reasons. Now, I realise I was born at a great time, because I can see ALL of those styles and trends and put them to good use now. I like now.

I was born in 79 which is probably one of the worst times in history to grow up (barring famine, plague, and war).In the 80s the music was shitty, the clothes were shitty, and it was the beginning of the age of mesmerizing children to buy toys, cereal, and other garbage. The only good things that came out of it were a few good songs, several good tv shows, and a decade that Adam sandler could parody in the wedding singer.

Then it was the 90s where everyone was a big joke. God what a horrible time to be alive. Aol, nirvana, and Friends. blech!

2000 was when things started getting good.

To me, the funny thing about wishing you were born earlier is that you would not be the same person you are today. So if you were born earlier, would you wish you were born even earlier? I just wish I didn't have to hear crappy music as much as I have.

I should have been born in 50's America, so I could go on to be a corrupt cop with huge hair in the 70's.

To me, the funny thing about wishing you were born earlier is that you would not be the same person you are today. So if you were born earlier, would you wish you were born even earlier? I just wish I didn't have to hear crappy music as much as I have.

Thats a fact. For one we'd all have much better attention span and we would have been forced to have better communication skills. Talking face to face instead of via Skype? Most of these people wouldn't survive.

Yeah I agree about the music thing. Too much techno-autotune-on crack!

Like others have said, now is a great time to be alive because it's a combo of all that's come before. If you feel out of place, keep searching till you find your niche.

I do feel overwhelmed living today though, with all the possibilities of style and culture; even the ability to make my own if I'm skilled enough. It's like being a kid in a candy store!

Try century- I find myself wishing I was born in the 1500s.. god knows why; it was a hideous time to be alive unless you were very rich.As has been pointed out, its the romanticism of another era that appeals I think.

I have a fondness for the relative freedom of the frontier west, but that's all colored by legend and modern portrayals of the time. I decided now's when I exist and so it's the only time worth living in.

Well I guess I can't complain meaning that fashion-wise the 2000s brought back some decades.

2003- '70s ponchos and newsboy caps
2006-2011- '80s bright colors and jelly bracelets
2012-now- '90s high waisted shorts, florals and red lipstick

Just a epiphany.

I romanticize the past sometimes. I sometimes wish I lived in a more tangible society. By tangible I mean a society where people were more honorable to one another and addressed each other with words of respect and endearment more often. Where the boy at the gas station fills up your car and cleans your windows and says "have a good day, sir". I wish we were the REAL America again.

Also I think fist fights are a very important part of society for us men. Sometimes when a dude isn't living with honor and respect he just needs to get his ass kicked. I always wish I could get in a good old fashion brawl. In old Irish tradition they square up like gentlemen and handle the issue. Even the guy who loses still maintains his respect, as long as he handled the situation like a man. If men still settled disputes in this manner then we could settle disputes without going to small claims court and relying on big brother, who knows nothing about the situation, to determine who is right and wrong. Also we wouldn't have to worry about getting shot, stabbed, or jumped as much because it will be a tradition that is integrated into the culture.

Do I sound crazy? because I am

I always wish I could be like these guys.
[video=youtube;IQONUxMpWfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQONUxMpWfw[/video]

Last edited: