Body dysmorphic disorder | INFJ Forum

Body dysmorphic disorder

Many girls develop this as a result of childhood sexual abuse as well.

Reactions: Gaze
A lot of people have actually told me they think I have this. They call it "face anorexia."
But I think a lot of people can misdiagnose those that actually have jaw problems with BDD. These people actually would benefit from orthodontic work health-wise but pressured into feeling bad from doing so. Chewing, breathing, among other things is improved. I myself just want to be able to close my mouth correctly.

On the other hand, there are those who really look fine or even gorgeous and perceive themselves as ugly. I think in these cases it is really quite an extreme problem, especially if addicted to dangerous surgeries.

What do you call it when someone thinks of themselves as looking a lot better than they actually do?

Haha I've been overweight and teased my entire life.
Like not horribly, I've always been the loud, popular type.
Playing sports, etc. took "laziness" off the table.

But I still always check and is conscious of it.
The Chinese culture is so indicative of perfectionism, that I dont' think I'll be able to escape this feeling.

I did lose weight which helped tremendously, and my girlfriend (who is like 100 lbs) who overlooks my weight with an incredible ease makes it a lot better.

(I was 250, now 220. I'm a football player, but still enjoy 30 hours of WoW/calculus per day, if that helps your visual LOL)

I've always been self-conscious of my appearances. As a kid, there were only two kids in my school shorter than me, and I'm pretty sure one of them was a little person/dwarf/whatever the PC term is. I've always been underweight, even when I exercised regularly, drank protein shakes, etc.

had dis very strong for a while when i was depressed

i couldn't stand walking past mirrors. i didn't even want to look down at my own limbs. i couldn't think of myself as having any redeemable qualities, and especially none in terms of my appearance.

had dis very strong for a while when i was depressed

i couldn't stand walking past mirrors. i didn't even want to look down at my own limbs. i couldn't think of myself as having any redeemable qualities, and especially none in terms of my appearance.
i had this as well. it was terrible, like living in fear all the time. getting in good physical shape remedied it.
honestly, humans arent supposed to be as sedentary as a lot are these days.

i had this as well. it was terrible, like living in fear all the time. getting in good physical shape remedied it.
honestly, humans arent supposed to be as sedentary as a lot are these days.

This disorder is not about not being in shape or not caring for your body. Anyone, including people who are are in great physical shape can have this disorder. It's about perception, not about reality. It's a distortion of self image, not a true reflection of who we are. Someone may be in less than desirable physical shape but have a great self image because they like who they are. They can always change how they look if it makes them feel better, but it's not affecting their sense of self worth. BDD is about have a poor self image regardless of how great you may look to others.

This disorder is not about not being in shape or not caring for your body. Anyone, including people who are are in great physical shape can have this disorder. It's about perception, not about reality. It's a distortion of self image, not a true reflection of who we are. Someone may be in less than desirable physical shape but have a great self image because they like who they are. They can always change how they look if it makes them feel better, but it's not affecting their sense of self worth. BDD is about have a poor self image regardless of how great you may look to others.
in my experience, i had a "good reason" to feel that way. plus, the mind and the body is connected, so your perception has a little bit to do with how your body is on some level.
would you explain what you mean in the bold?

in my experience, i had a "good reason" to feel that way. plus, the mind and the body is connected, so your perception has a little bit to do with how your body is on some level.
would you explain what you mean in the bold?

If someone thinks changing their appearance will make them feel better, then they will. But someone may choose not to because whether or they're in good shape may not affect their self esteem. They may feel just fine and have a positive self image. Changing their physical appearance may be a plus for them but it may not be an necessity. Fact is, people can feel good about themselves whether or not they are in great shape. Simple.

Last edited:
Wow this is super transphobic.

If someone thinks changing their appearance will make them feel better, then they will. But someone may choose not to because whether or they're in good shape may not affect their self esteem. They may feel just fine and have a positive self image. Changing their physical appearance may be a plus for them but it may not be an necessity. Fact is, people can feel good about themselves whether or not they are in great shape. Simple.
I agree with you in a sense, but when you're in decent shape and you have all those feel-good chemicals flowing through you, its gonna be hard to feel bad and have a bad self image. And yes, someone can have a bad self image because of their spiritual health, or mental. Thinking something is wrong, then thinking something is wrong because you think something is wrong, ad infinitum. It's a horrible neurotic loop spiraling down to oblivion, leading some to suicide. The mind body and spirit are one, and it needs to be treated as such. Neglecting any of them can lead to a bad self image.

I agree with you in a sense, but when you're in decent shape and you have all those feel-good chemicals flowing through you, its gonna be hard to feel bad and have a bad self image. And yes, someone can have a bad self image because of their spiritual health, or mental. Thinking something is wrong, then thinking something is wrong because you think something is wrong, ad infinitum. It's a horrible neurotic loop spiraling down to oblivion, leading some to suicide. The mind body and spirit are one, and it needs to be treated as such. Neglecting any of them can lead to a bad self image.

Again, the point is that BDD is not a simple case of low self esteem due to poor physical appearance. It's internal. From what I know about this disorder, it was something which mainly affected people who by everyone's standards are considered very attractive, good or great physical shape usually. So, physical appearance is not the main issue in this disorder. It's the self perception or image of self which is the problem. With BDD, someone could look like a supermodel or considered extraordinarily attractive and likeable person and think they are the most unattractive and unlikeable person someone has ever met. This person has a typically poor self image not based on how they look but how they think they look.

So, again, BDD is not your typical, "Hey, I don't feel good about myself, maybe I need to lose weight or exercise more and then I'll feel better about myself". Because people who don't understand self image fail to get that placing self image in the wrong things is not a healthy self image if you are not basing it in the right things even if it makes you feel better.

And again, many of the people who are considered in good or great shape are often unsatisfied with how they look. Actually, they are often always trying to find other ways to look even more fit even if they are fit enough. For example, there is exercise bulimia. They exercise excessively to get rid of every little ounce of weight but thinks there is not such as too much exercise. There are also those who, no matter how thin they get, they still believe they look fat. That is BDD, not someone who simply feels bad because they need to lose a few pounds.

tumblr_lik763VSfv1qh1v0d.jpg

Last edited:
BDD is more about someone who, for example, is fairly attractive and healthy but decides to get a ton of unnecessary plastic surgery to correct imagined flaws.