Biology or physics for medical school?

mauve

Regular Poster
Jan 1, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
o.0
I'll also be taking Chemistry (its my favourite subject anyway), Maths and English Literature along with a few other compulsory subjects. I do not follow the American education system, I will be taking Cambridge's A Levels.

The problem is that I have no background foundation in Biology unlike in Physics. So I'm wondering whether I might struggle. But in your opinion, which is the better science for medical school?

Do you think INFJs will make good doctors? Why?

It will be tough to get in but I'm going to try anyway!

Either study for A) what is on the exam or B) what you are more interested in. If you're talking an entire course of study here and not just one class, definitely do what you are interested in.

I don't know if the test you will be taking is the MCAT or if it is something else, and I'm not too familiar with the MCAT.

Mathematics majors have the highest acceptance rate to medical school (and law school- screw them), so probably math is the best science for medical school (or maybe people who happen to like math just happen to be good applicants and good at tests, which is probably more likely).

INFJs are good doctors because they actually care about their patients usually and aren't in it just for the money. Ni also helps in pattern recognization and diagnosis. A doctor can't help much if they can't figure out what the problem actually is, which is half the battle in many cases. I would be afraid to be a doctor just because of all the little things you forget about that can really mess people up. Of course, I'd probably be more aware of them than most doctors. I don't think a doctor should ever be like "well, i can't figure out what the problem is or do anything more for you, good luck" and send someone on their way, but it does happen.

It will be tough to get in. Study hard!

For the MCAT, you will need knowledge in both fields.

It helps to have a background in biology,cell biology,evolution,ecology,genetics,human anatomy and physiology,and organic chemistry, but you do not need to be a biology major to do this. You just need to take the necessary classes. It also is essential to have good verbal/reading skills as this is the part most students actually do rather poor in, and you can get a 40 on your MCAT, but if you have a very low verbal score, that could very negatively affect your chances of getting into some medical school programs. The more well-rounded you are in your education, the better. If you are a science major, minor in a subject that you absolutely love that is outside of the normal sciences.

Biology . . . probably the only science class from the big 3 (chem, phys, and bio) i understood.

I'll also be taking Chemistry (its my favourite subject anyway), Maths and English Literature along with a few other compulsory subjects. I do not follow the American education system, I will be taking Cambridge's A Levels.

The problem is that I have no background foundation in Biology unlike in Physics. So I'm wondering whether I might struggle. But in your opinion, which is the better science for medical school?

Do you think INFJs will make good doctors? Why?

It will be tough to get in but I'm going to try anyway!

Question: Are you getting a degree in something and then going on to med school? As I understand it, don't most kids go straight to med school in the Uk? To your general question, it really depends. I know of Physicists and Biologists who do well in University and medical school. I suppose it depends on how intensive your Chemistry courses are. And, of course, it also depends on what you want to do in the medical field; in the U.S. I know of medical physics programs (usually applying to medical imaging and the sort). Either way, I suppose as long as you know the material and do well in your A level courses, you will be fine.