Best Careers For Introverts

wandering

Regular Poster
Mar 26, 2016
In the vortex
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
I can run. I can hide. I can fake it. I can lie. But it's all fruitless. I'm an introvert, through and through. Though I hold no grudge against humanity at large, I find myself bitter with resentment whenever I have to put myself out there for the sake of getting a paycheck. I've done customer service and reception work, and truth be told, I don't think I have what it takes to keep going. I'm thinking maybe a telecommuting job that I can do from home would be better suited for me. I hate coming home exhausted from having to get myself out of my head and talk to people about inane topics.

It's silly that I have to ask this, because the perfect career not only lies in our innate sociability, but a myriad of many parts of ourselves that can benefit a certain job. One introvert will be different from the next introvert. But, I want to ask anyway, in hopes that an introvert with a great career sees this and puts their two cents. What types of careers is perfect for an introvert who tires out from socializing easily?

Reactions: Ren and Gaze
INFJs typically do well at careers with a 'greater purpose', like psychology, counseling, theology, education, library studies, museums, science, and the arts. That doesn't leave much out, but the key is to seek a role that has purpose and/or also choose something that is not too social, unless it is teaching.
We can typically work two years with the public (such as customer service) before burning out.

A lot of us have tech careers, but INFJs are "big picture" thinkers, and concentrating on details for a career will cause another aspect of your personality to weaken. For example, you may become even less tolerant of socializing.

Really, you need to follow your interests. INFJs are known for being very dedicated (obsessed?) with a few interests, and not caring about much else. So, explore careers in your fields of interest.

Anything related to writing or heuristics

I do casework from home. It's the best of both words because I get a good dose of alone time in my home office on office days, but my NF side gets to help people and engage with people on my field work days. And as I set my own schedule, I get to determine how many meetings to schedule on field days.

I'm a big fan of telecommuting but agree that as an NF, you may want to do it in a field where you find meaning or that you find makes a difference in the world or in your community. So start with whatever you are passionate about and research options from there.

I just don't know know what I'm supposed to do.

Anyone who's ever known me knows that the biggest characteristic about myself is my love for writing. I write fiction works a lot of the time, but I've also dabbled in article writing, blog post creations, design, reviewing, and the likes with intense enthusiasm. I'd say if anything, my only real talents and skills lies in writing. Another thing I enjoy the most is helping other people (counseling or advising, if you will), though then again, face to face on a constant basis wears me a lot. Which is very frustrating for me, since people like being able to actually see you in person when they need help sometimes, so I feel a little lost as to what I am meant to do in this world. And then of course, I am an avid lover of books and literature.

I don't know what to do. Truth be told, I am not sure if I have the time, the energy, the money, or even the opportunity to go back to school since now I am in desperate need for employment to help with my spouse with paying the bills. I wanted to do many things in relations to art in general, but I know of the starving artist phenomenon, so I settled into administrative work. If only I can find that perfect career that somehow combines writing, telecommuting, and being able to help other people in some way.. and have enough money to not live off of canned tuna forever, then sign me up.

Maybe I should do what my husband does: Online community manager. I'm already online nearly 24/7 anyway, so why not?

Reactions: Ren, Wyote and Asa
What if you did some local freelance stuff for the paper? Show up to events and cover them and submit to the paper? I went to college with a guy who did that. I think the term for it is a stringer. You'd have to do a lot of research and interview people for stories.

What if you did some local freelance stuff for the paper? Show up to events and cover them and submit to the paper? I went to college with a guy who did that. I think the term for it is a stringer. You'd have to do a lot of research and interview people for stories.

I could try that. I'm actually happy that you're doing casework, I had to search up the term after I scanned your post and find it to be very rewarding overall. I could see myself doing that as well, but.. you know, I just can't go back to school right now. Did you knew from a young age that that's what you are meant to do, or did it take you some time?

I could try that. I'm actually happy that you're doing casework, I had to search up the term after I scanned your post and find it to be very rewarding overall. I could see myself doing that as well, but.. you know, I just can't go back to school right now. Did you knew from a young age that that's what you are meant to do, or did it take you some time?
When I was a kid, I always wanted to work in social services. My family did not encourage it as it's not going to make you wealthy. I also really love to write, so I tried to compromise and went to school for journalism and public relations because I figured I could make money writing about issues and causes I cared about. But I worked in entry level social services positions all through college. Once I graduated, I struggled to find work in my degree field, so I applied for more social services positions and had no trouble getting offers there.

I wanted to do many things in relations to art in general

Have you looked into Art Therapy? It's a whole sector, and you could probably get your foot in the door. It would maybe take a little bit of schooling, maybe a certification to really get a steady position, but if you start teaching yourself and networking in that sphere you could probably get an in somewhere.

Reactions: Ren and wandering
Have you looked into Art Therapy? It's a whole sector, and you could probably get your foot in the door. It would maybe take a little bit of schooling, maybe a certification to really get a steady position, but if you start teaching yourself and networking in that sphere you could probably get an in somewhere.

Maybe someday. I'm sort of seeing if I can get somewhere now without the additional schooling at this time.

Working in a "back office" job for an nonprofit is very rewarding for introverts, particularly INFJs, I think. You're not on the front line, but you contribute to the greater cause. I've been in this sector for a while and I have met a disproportionate number of (seemingly very satisfied) INFJs there. I think INFJs have some pretty innate qualities for the job: a strategic mind, interpersonal skills, and a willingness to subscribe to a broad, long-term vision.

When I say disproportionate number, I mean nearly one per organisation I've worked for! But that's already a lot.