[PUG] Best ABBA song . . . ever

invisible

On Holiday
Sep 30, 2009
Avalon Archipelago
MBTI
none
a44rwz.jpg

Please post what your favourite ABBA song is and why - eg. you listened to it on a certain occasion or as part of a certain routine, you like the lyrics, you like the tune, etc.

Please choose a clear favourite, no ties. Runners up are OK.

If you loathe and detest ABBA, please say so, but give a reason - eg. the vocal performances irritate you, the melodies are recycled, the piano keystrokes are insufficiently effervescent, you nurture an irrational hatred of pop music within your bosom, etc.

Please criticise others whose choice is not as good as yours, and patiently explain to them why their choice sucks.

Please post a youtube video or sound content to go with your choice. If you don't know how to post a video, check out the BB Code list in the "Community" dropdown menu at the main "Forums" tab.

Thanks!

:) "Sing a new song Chiquita..."

[video=youtube;yiJMln3q7GU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJMln3q7GU[/video]

But....of course this was also highly desirable....well...because I danced to this when it first came out. I was only 19....and had fallen in love for the first time in my life. :love:
I had joined a sorority....to help me learn how to be more social....and I had to have a costume for one of our events. I made a pant suit out of polished cotton like they're wearing here in this video.
Thanks for grin as I trip down memory lane.

[video=youtube;XYSSD0SVhN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYSSD0SVhN0[/video]

Reactions: invisible
I don't think I could pick a favorite or least favorite. ABBA is so fun!!!
Thanks for sharing that story about the costume. Wow! That must have been awesome. Sounds like you can sew very well if you sewed a pantsuit!

Reactions: Kgal
But....of course this was also highly desirable....well...because I danced to this when it first came out. I was only 19....and had fallen in love for the first time in my life. :love:
I had joined a sorority....to help me learn how to be more social....and I had to have a costume for one of our events. I made a pant suit out of polished cotton like they're wearing here in this video.
Thanks for grin as I trip down memory lane.

[video=youtube;XYSSD0SVhN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYSSD0SVhN0[/video]

THIS ONE. I played it on repeat and danced around the living room with my toys when I was little lol. I still love it.

THIS ONE. I played it on repeat and danced around the living room with my toys when I was little lol. I still love it.

Hahahaha..... I can just imagine you doing that!
I played the song again and got up and danced. All kinds of flashes of memories seen and "unseen" came into my mind.

Now I'm giggling.... heh heh heh ....

YOU MUST PICK IT

OK, I had to go back and listen to every one of my favorites. 'Dancing Queen' reigns, but I always really liked 'Take A Chance On Me', so I choose that one because 'Dancing Queen' has had its share of attention. :)

OK, I had to go back and listen to every one of my favorites. 'Dancing Queen' reigns, but I always really liked 'Take A Chance On Me', so I choose that one because 'Dancing Queen' has had its share of attention. :)

Great answer. I love "Take A Chance On Me". I love the chord changes and the cheesy talking part. I love the attitude of the voice, which is seductive but expectation-free. One of ABBA's best.

Great answer. I love "Take A Chance On Me". I love the chord changes and the cheesy talking part. I love the attitude of the voice, which is seductive but expectation-free. One of ABBA's best.

Thanks. :) Now I want to dance!! I'll probably spend the day listening to A Taste Of Honey, Alicia Bridges, Chic, old Soul Train videos and then move on to Blondie... but first, more ABBA.

I used to work with a girl who had never heard the song "Chiquitita". It's one of those songs that is really easy to belt out, even if you've got a lousy voice like I do, the melody has a really stable center and the notes don't jump around too much. So I sang a bit of it to her and she said she thought it was a sad song. A sad song??! It's one of the happiest songs I have ever heard. I urged her to listen to it. I don't know whether she did or not.

I woke up this morning with ABBA singing in my head. I smiled at some memorable scenes from the show Mama Mia. For us older ones it was great seeing a long lost love affair finally come together. :love:

When I was little we used to go on long car rides, sometimes for over twelve hours to visit our relatives, when flying was still unaffordable. We used to listen to The Doors and Fleetwood Mac, but more than anything ABBA, their best-of album "ABBA Gold", on cassette. I'm sure there are more comprehensive compilations out there, but that one is a famous one, and it's a great one.

A few years ago we were watching an ABBA marathon on the music channel, a friend of mine was over. He had no musical background, by which I mean, no formally musically trained ear. We started talking about whose vocals were superior, and I was like straight away "Agnetha's". I think my friend was a little bit blinded by Anni-Frid's brunette beauty. Agnetha has one of the best voices in the history of English language pop music. Her voice is as acrobatic and pure as sparkling spring water. Anni-Frid's voice just doesn't compare.

I woke up this morning with ABBA singing in my head. I smiled at some memorable scenes from the show Mama Mia. For us older ones it was great seeing a long lost love affair finally come together. :love:

I saw the live stage show and it was awesome.

[youtube]IIKAe8Wi0S0[/youtube]

"One of Us" is my best song. I've always connected with this song. I like the parts about the bus, the bed, the ceiling - maybe it's because those things are so concrete that they really put me right into what's happening. I get lost in the drama. I can really imagine the persona and I get really involved with her, I identify with her. She made a mistake and she feels regret, and she's not ashamed to say she was wrong.

[youtube]iJ90ZqH0PWI[/youtube]

"The Name of the Game" is my first runner up best. I like the feelings of anticipation, and the assertiveness of demanding an answer, and the sweet innocence of wanting to know what's going on. I like the double tracked vocals.

[youtube]GW49vevriI8[/youtube]

"Rock Me" is my second runner up best. It is so appreciative. It's so fun and bouncy, and the male vocals aren't the best I've ever heard, but they really work well for the song. I love the chord change that leads to "Roll me". I love the brief Coda at 2:05. Such a cool, playful and loving song.

Last edited:
I Physical Challenge you to answer this thread.

*in fits of giggles*

Truly, I was going to post but had limited time yesterday and was going to come back to this one - promise.

Always up for a challenge. Without a doubt it has to be Dancing Queen. The song is an international treasure, it's timeless, easily recognisable (I hear those first notes on the piano and it just does something to me - namely get up and dance!), appeals to any age group and of course it's a happy/fun song and so much more. I have memories as a child dancing (wanted to be a ballerina), living in la la land and pretending to be a superstar. If this song ever comes on and I'm with my girlfriends then I'm definitely the one to drag them onto the dance floor.

I also like:

[video=youtube;iUrzicaiRLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUrzicaiRLU[/video]

and

[video=youtube;unfzfe8f9NI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unfzfe8f9NI[/video]

and just one more:

[video=youtube;p4QqMKe3rwY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4QqMKe3rwY[/video]