Being intuitive or using your intuition (Ne or Ni) | INFJ Forum

Being intuitive or using your intuition (Ne or Ni)

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, what does it mean, based on your own personal experiences or observations, to be an intuitive? What are the pros and cons? What do you wish people understood about being intuitive which would make understanding and relating to intuitives easier or better?

Here's a short MBTI description to begin:

Intuition (N)
Paying the most attention to impressions or the meaning and patterns of the information I get. I would rather learn by thinking a problem through than by hands-on experience. I’m interested in new things and what might be possible, so that I think more about the future than the past. I like to work with symbols or abstract theories, even if I don’t know how I will use them. I remember events more as an impression of what it was like than as actual facts or details of what happened.

• I remember events by what I read “between the lines” about their meaning.
  • I solve problems by leaping between different ideas and possibilities.
  • I am interested in doing things that are new and different.
  • I like to see the big picture, then to find out the facts.
  • I trust impressions, symbols, and metaphors more than what I actually
    experienced
  • Sometimes I think so much about new possibilities that I never look at how
    to make them a reality.

Adapted from Looking at Type: The Fundamentals
by Charles R. Martin (CAPT 1997)

Reactions: muir
Well, I tried to ask about sensors, but that didn't work out so well. I'm not sure how else things can be. I guess I could do a search on MBTI and read more. But everything that explains how N works sounds like me. So what does it mean. I want to answer your question and thinking you might be hoping for some insight, but it's just as simple as it is explained. For me at least.

I definitely follow the flow of events.
I notice sometimes things come together and it's best to get out of the way. It seems so deliberate. Just makes my jaw drop. Then most of the time it's not like that. But I still watch to see how things come together; how the energy is flowing. I hate my explanation. I wish I could describe it better. But I don't think about it. I probably would have never noticed until this MBTI thing. I guess I just thought everyone was this way.
But I make my decisions based on the cloud I walk into. If it feels right, I go for it. I base decisions on experience too. I mean if I know something works, it's hard not to repeat it. But it's always tempered by my intuition.

It's hard to come up with what I wish others knew to make understanding N better. It's just a sense of things. It comes to you that it's either a good or bad idea. What ever that might be.
I don't think I know or have heard someone's frustration or trouble understanding. So I'm not sure what's to know. Are Ns hard to deal with. I guess my mind goes places and I can't expect anyone to have any idea why I say I do the things I do. I can see how that's frustrating if you're trying to figure me out. But I'm pretty verbal, so I tell everyone my thoughts and I might not express I'm making a decision because it just feels right or I just have a feeling.
I'll probably explain I'm doing it for X or Y reason and just move on.

I guess I just thought everyone was this way.

I guess my mind goes places and I can't expect anyone to have any idea why I say I do the things I do. I can see how that's frustrating if you're trying to figure me out.

Yes, this connects with me. Before MBTI, I assumed every thought the same and experienced things in the same way. And I do make many associations or links between things which others find or think of as separate or disconnected. And I can see why pepole would be sometimes confused about how I came up with my understanding of something. I usually expect others to "get my meaning" without having to be too explicit or explain things word for word.

Not sure if this thread will take off.
I hope so since I'd like to hear/read what people would say, too.

It's OT, but I test really high in/with spatial relations. I think I always attributed what might be N to my testing well in that area. I wonder if all Ns do.
Am I being racist again.? Sorry, just licking my wounds.

Ok, this sensor has a lot of intuition and perhaps I can explain it. lol

When I am on a CASA case and I am gathering, reading my information and facts ... I am pulling all of the information together to see how I actually "see" the big picture. I am placing myself in the shoes of each individual, feeling what they are feeling whether it is good or bad, predicting them. I am able to sense where the problem lies within the dysfunction. It goes much deeper than surface level, it is understanding the sociology and psychology of the situation. I will be honest to say that I "see" things the way that few see them in court. For me to stand by my intuition and actually include it in my court report takes GUTS, even when the evidence is not there! Most judges would scowl at this, but remember too that I am the only party allowed to provide hearsay information and report on my "feelings." This is what helps judges to fill in the gaps between facts, so they can understand the bigger picture. This is why I do what I do so well.

Another thing. Have you ever met a person and could see a dark cloud over them? You couldn't put your finger on it? Have you ever waited for an elevator, when the doors opened and someone was inside, you didn't feel right about getting in and thus waited for the next round? This is intuition. Most have it to a degree, it's really whether or not they listen.

Ok, this sensor has a lot of intuition and perhaps I can explain it. lol

When I am on a CASA case and I am gathering, reading my information and facts ... I am pulling all of the information together to see how I actually "see" the big picture. I am placing myself in the shoes of each individual, feeling what they are feeling whether it is good or bad, predicting them. I am able to sense where the problem lies within the dysfunction. It goes much deeper than surface level, it is understanding the sociology and psychology of the situation. I will be honest to say that I "see" things the way that few see them in court. For me to stand by my intuition and actually include it in my court report takes GUTS, even when the evidence is not there! Most judges would scowl at this, but remember too that I am the only party allowed to provide hearsay information and report on my "feelings." This is what helps judges to fill in the gaps between facts, so they can understand the bigger picture. This is why I do what I do so well.

Another thing. Have you ever met a person and could see a dark cloud over them? You couldn't put your finger on it? Have you ever waited for an elevator, when the doors opened and someone was inside, you didn't feel right about getting in and thus waited for the next round? This is intuition. Most have it to a degree, it's really whether or not they listen.

That sounds like intense intuition.
Not sure I ever feel it more strongly.
If it's not too direct a question, can I ask why you type yourself as an S. are you more strongly an S. I guess the answer is obviously that, but still you sound strong intuitive.

That sounds like intense intuition.
Not sure I ever feel it more strongly.
If it's not too direct a question, can I ask why you type yourself as an S. are you more strongly an S. I guess the answer is obviously that, but still you sound strong intuitive.

I swing both ways actually. I'm more of an IxFJ. Normally people on the forum only see my "S" side and I think that's b/c I'm here mainly for shyts and giggles ... taking things very lightly. I don't think it's a good idea to take forums seriously, people you don't even know can cause you to lose sleep at night. Is it worth it? (I made a thread about "owning" my sensor.)

... and you know honestly ... MBTI is just one tiny part of a person. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."

I swing both ways actually. I'm more of an IxFJ. Normally people on the forum only see my "S" side and I think that's b/c I'm here mainly for shyts and giggles ... taking things very lightly.

... and you know honestly ... MBTI is just one tiny part of a person. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."

Good point. If you show only one side of you to people then they may think it's the only side or the complete person. So, who knows, someone who is very F online may be a T. Maybe expressing their F online is their way of developing that function. Or someone can seem very extroverted online but be introverted in person.

Sometimes I think so much about new possibilities that I never look at how
to make them a reality.

It usually takes me time to aim toward targets before I set about accomplishing them. I may change directions when I find a different way to turn possibilities into reality. The target keeps moving, whether it is personal goals or striving to improve society.

Reactions: barbad0s
Pros:

Freaking people out with your "insights". It's cool when people actually appreciate them.

Coming up with cool stuff without thinking too hard. Being "clever".

Being able to entertain yourself using your imagination.

Cons:

Freaking people out with your "insights" and being seen as a witch. Being "too clever" --> must be burned at the stake.

People not appreciating your insights. Being seen as frickin weird.

Sensors not thinking that there might be something going on inside your head even if you don't display your thoughts irl. --> Seeming quiet and scary to them.

Insides not being congruent to outsides quite as much, imo.

Generally just having a slightly less standard or accepted modus operandi can make things more confusing or make you a bit of an outcast sometimes. It can be harder to adjust.

Being slower with sensor type stuff due to not developing it as much.

^ Result of last 2 points combined: Possibly growing up with people thinking you're some kind of idiot savant. Thinking you're all special because of it and getting coddled and fed candies for being a Rainman, then having to get slapped in the face by reality eventually.

Reactions: Gaze
I have thoughts where I see the whole issue/picture in one piece and it is the right answer. I can go through how I came to that conclusion afterwards but I just sort of...know it.

I do sometimes go through it but I can know the entire train of thought without having to actually think it through.

Yes, this connects with me. Before MBTI, I assumed every thought the same and experienced things in the same way. And I do make many associations or links between things which others find or think of as separate or disconnected. And I can see why pepole would be sometimes confused about how I came up with my understanding of something. I usually expect others to "get my meaning" without having to be too explicit or explain things word for word.

Yep. I hear ya. :nod:

This can be frustrating at times.

Pros:

Freaking people out with your "insights". It's cool when people actually appreciate them.

Coming up with cool stuff without thinking too hard. Being "clever".

Being able to entertain yourself using your imagination.

Cons:

Freaking people out with your "insights" and being seen as a witch. Being "too clever" --> must be burned at the stake.

People not appreciating your insights. Being seen as frickin weird.

Sensors not thinking that there might be something going on inside your head even if you don't display your thoughts irl. --> Seeming quiet and scary to them.

Insides not being congruent to outsides quite as much, imo.

Generally just having a slightly less standard or accepted modus operandi can make things more confusing or make you a bit of an outcast sometimes. It can be harder to adjust.

Being slower with sensor type stuff due to not developing it as much.

^ Result of last 2 points combined: Possibly growing up with people thinking you're some kind of idiot savant. Thinking you're all special because of it and getting coddled and fed candies for being a Rainman, then having to get slapped in the face by reality eventually.

Ha ha!

Great post, and spot on. :D

I have thoughts where I see the whole issue/picture in one piece and it is the right answer. I can go through how I came to that conclusion afterwards but I just sort of...know it.

I do sometimes go through it but I can know the entire train of thought without having to actually think it through.

This too. :nod:

Last edited:
Reactions: barbad0s
Not sure if this thread will take off.
I hope so since I'd like to hear/read what people would say, too.

It's OT, but I test really high in/with spatial relations. I think I always attributed what might be N to my testing well in that area. I wonder if all Ns do.
Am I being racist again.? Sorry, just licking my wounds.

I dunno.

According to various tests, my wife (confirmed INFP) is certainly good with spatial relations, but I'm not, for some reason.

I describe it as processing, without "processing". The complete absence of thought or feeling, or sensory stimuli. Of course, this is how I see it in pure form. It usually has some sort of filter depending what it is coupled with, but I am usually not thinking about it when I am using it.

To describe it shortly: I see what's written between the lines. I see more than is seen.

I could also say that I "feel" the right answer without thinking it. I'm intuitive in math for example. So before I start calculating, I just "see" the answer. I get this weird feeling that "this is propably the answer". Then I do the calculation just to find out that my hunch was right.