Baruch Spinoza | INFJ Forum

Baruch Spinoza

Jul 14, 2015
MBTI
INFJ
Is Spinoza an INFJ? I am going to say yes.
Several people often think this philosopher is an obvious INTP due to the famous quote: "ethica more geometrico demonstrata" and the style of his masterpiece, "Ethics". They believe that such a way of thinking can be conceived only by a Ti user. However, i shall argue against this.
Why do I disagree?

First of all, i argue that an INFJs usually see reason as a mean towards an ethical end - while an INTP only seeks knowledge. According to such a division, the whole system of Spinoza share an INFJ-like purpose: "... i arranged to research a true good that can be granted to those who love it and ... if there was something that, once attained, could grant me eternal joy and happiness"
(from Tractatus the Intellectus Emendatione, quick translation from italian)
You can see how he is both looking after an ethical end (the best possible way to live) and how he is totally aimed towards the future. These two traits, togheter, are clearly of an INFJ and not an INTP. INTPs are driven by curiosity and knowledge, INFJs by a cause and the need for a change. Spinoza totally resembles this last model.

Then: what about the fact that only a Ti user could conceive such a thought?
Actually, INFJ can be logical aswell.
While we are mainly emotional, INFJs are often forced to develop a structured way of justifying ourselves as we strive for the perfect outcome. Perfectionism, potentially, makes us strenghten logical thought as we seek to justify ourselves and find the perfect way to live/answer our questions.
It's also not uncommon for a post-Descartes philosopher to underline the relevance of human reason.
Again, if Spinoza was an INTP he would have hardly been a lens-grinder and, more likely, would have been writing more essays upon theoretical matters rather than so much upon freedom of thought.

This picture supports my claim:
http://www.celebritytypes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/kant_spinoza.png

Reactions: Paradox