Autism is mere Introversion to a extreme? | INFJ Forum

Autism is mere Introversion to a extreme?

LucyJr

Aug 10, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
true or not? What do you think?

Autistic persons have a world of their own, being unable to fully comprehend and connect with the real world.
Could this be due to a exagerated introversion

False

Introversion is about what energises you

If you are energised by being alone then you are an introvert

If you are energised by being around other people you are an extrovert

Autism is something else

False

Introversion is about what energises you

If you are energised by being alone then you are an introvert

If you are energised by being around other people you are an extrovert

Autism is something else

If this is an argument against them being the same, it failed at "Autism is something else", and reduced to the mere assertion that they are different. In other words, all you really said was "No"

More of your crusade to show that there's no such thing as cognitive differences I see.

No. Introversion is either a result or something that simply coexists in this case. It is not the cause.

Moreover there can be extroverted autistic people. They're seen as more rare but they exist. This can happen when they can be different without feeling any resulting stress or drain - you'll know it because they will seek you out and talk you to death about every boring thing under the sun, because even though they want to be friends, their ability to compute social relationships is still non-typical.

Moreover there can be extroverted autistic people. They're seen as more rare but they exist. This can happen when they can be different without feeling any resulting stress or drain - you'll know it because they will seek you out and talk you to death about every boring thing under the sun, because even though they want to be friends, their ability to compute social relationships is still non-typical.

Ime they are pretty common. Knew four back in highschool, they all showed an inability to handle themselves in an open environnment, it's more like a clumsiness than a lack of interest in relationships overall.
They are all really sweet and likeable, you can see that they actually want to get involved. But their emotional reactions were... Well, scary to say the least.

What if all autists were introverts? Maybe we should ask a different question.
People like to get technical (more than usual) to evade controversy.

What if all autists were introverts? Maybe we should ask a different question.
People like to get technical (more than usual) to evade controversy.

There's no controversy and explaining the truth is not "getting technical". No evasion here because the idea is nonsense.

There's no controversy and explaining the truth is not "getting technical".

you can push the idea of truth conveniently to a topic that cannot be answered objectively. It seems we don't give topics like "what is love? (o bb don't hurt me)" the same scrutiny.

No evasion here because the idea is nonsense.

opinion noted

you can push the idea of truth conveniently to a topic that cannot be answered objectively. It seems we don't give topics like "what is love? (o bb don't hurt me)" the same scrutiny.

It's not that vague and can be answered relatively objectively. Introversion is not a force that causes behaviors, it is an observation about behaviors.

Saying that introversion causes autism is like saying falling on the ground causes gravity. We don't know exactly what causes autism but we do know that it is NOT "too much introversion." It makes zero sense.

It's not that vague and can be answered relatively objectively. Introversion is not a force that causes behaviors, it is an observation about behaviors.

Saying that introversion causes autism is like saying falling on the ground causes gravity. We don't know exactly what causes autism but we do know that it is NOT "too much introversion." It makes zero sense.

If all this is based on the argument that introversion causes autism (which no one said), then I'm gonna ignore it. It's not my argument.

If all this is based on the argument that introversion causes autism (which no one said), then I'm gonna ignore it. It's not my argument.

It was said in the OP.

Could this be due to a exagerated introversion

"Due to" is synonymous with "because" or "as a result of" or "by cause of" so don't tell me nobody said something that was clearly said.

Not to mention that the title of the thread quite directly implies that statement.

Edit:
Correction. Nobody did STATE it but the OP did ASK if it was the case, and was answered.

I'm not sure what you're arguing other than the fact that you're a troll as usual.

Last edited:
It was said in the OP.

"Due to" is synonymous with "because" or "as a result of" or "by cause of" so don't tell me nobody said something that was clearly said.

Not to mention that the title of the thread quite directly implies that statement.

Your logic assumes that there is no difference between extreme introversion causing autism, and extreme introversion IS autism. Rejecting either when the thread does not make this explicit, is precisely the "getting technical" aspect I was referring to. I'm not saying being technical is bad, but in this case it is. I think that nit-picking an idea proposal is abusive of your argumentative ability. I'll accept whatever he meant to say whenever that becomes clear, and I'll argue for or against it at that point (if I want to), not at the moment I dislike the poster, and he opens his mouth.

More importantly, I am interested in why you think autism isn't introversion. You can say the idea is stupid, but i'm not interested in that. I'd like to hear reasoning.

Reactions: sprinkles
Your logic assumes that there is no difference between extreme introversion causing autism, and extreme introversion IS autism. Rejecting either when the thread does not make this explicit, is precisely the "getting technical" aspect I was referring to. I'm not saying being technical is bad, but in this case it is. I think that nit-picking an idea proposal is abusive of your argumentative ability. I'll accept whatever he meant to say whenever that becomes clear, and I'll argue for or against it at that point (if I want to), not at the moment I dislike the poster, and he opens his mouth.

There is a difference between causing autism and being autism. I need not make any assumptions about it! And if we always have to wait to see if somebody said what they meant to say then we can never get anywhere.

At some point I have to assume that he meant what he wrote and at this point it is clear enough to me. The language is plenty explicit. If he writes something different he would be changing what he has said so far. Why should I wait until then instead of now? If I can't trust that he says what he means now, why should I trust it later?

There is a difference between causing autism and being autism. I need not make any assumptions about it! And if we always have to wait to see if somebody said what they meant to say then we can never get anywhere.

At some point I have to assume that he meant what he wrote and at this point it is clear enough to me. The language is plenty explicit. If he writes something different he would be changing what he has said so far. Why should I wait until then instead of now? If I can't trust that he says what he means now, why should I trust it later?

ok

[MENTION=5511]o_q[/MENTION]

Moreover it doesn't matter if hes asking whether extreme introversion causes autism, or if he's asking if it IS autism because in both cases the answer is still "no."

@o_q

Moreover it doesn't matter if hes asking whether extreme introversion causes autism, or if he's asking if it IS autism because in both cases the answer is still "no."

If you look at the OP within the wider context of Lucy jnrs posts you will find that he is launching a sustained attack on the INFJ type

By trying to associate INFJ's with autism via their introversion function he is implying that INFJ's are mentally defective

He was so excited by this particular avenue of attack that he actually posted this thread in two different sections of the forum and twice in the same section!

If you look at the OP within the wider context of Lucy jnrs posts you will find that he is launching a sustained attack on the INFJ type

By trying to associate INFJ's with autism via their introversion function he is implying that INFJ's are mentally defective

He was so excited by this particular avenue of attack that he actually posted this thread in two different sections of the forum and twice in the same section!

This is a conspiracy theory

This is a conspiracy theory

Well if you were familiar with the context you would not think so

So i advise you to do what i advise many people here to do which is to go and educate yourself about the wider context

If you still cannot grasp what is being said then its possible you are mentally defective

More importantly, I am interested in why you think autism isn't introversion. You can say the idea is stupid, but i'm not interested in that. I'd like to hear reasoning.

Because introversion only describes the focus of behaviors while autism describes a collection of behaviors.

Introverted behaviors are behaviors which are directed inwardly. Autistic behaviors manifest much more specifically, such as being compulsive and ritualistic. I would argue that one could be extremely introverted and NOT exhibit autistic traits.

Most of the defining characteristics of autism do not speak directly to introversion nor extroversion. Saying it is equal to introversion ends up oversimplifying introversion and autism both.