Autism is mere Introversion to a extreme? | INFJ Forum

Autism is mere Introversion to a extreme?

LucyJr

Aug 10, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
true or not? What do you think?

Autistic persons have a world of their own, being unable to fully comprehend and connect with the real world.
Could this be due to a exagerated introversion

Not at all. Its good that you are asking questions but in this instance there has been so much study on autism if you took a little time to research it you would have a good enough understanding to realize its not based at all on introversion.

I suppose I have this but not that likely exaggerated. I have slight control over it though. I simply call it "Autrivert", a mere self made up compound word that, in my opinion, that it may appear as different from Introverts or to ascertain autism is not a part of MBTI.. but not should be applied like this 'ANFJ'. It's a great combination if an INFJ have autism rather than the other types. Such as an INFP (as a good example), which will be totally detached from the physical world and getting attached to a certain subjects and objects, hence they're called 'Dreamer'. Autism can be applied to MBTI but autism, like I said earlier, is not a part of MBTI. So I think It is not exaggerated introversion ~ or due to the autistic's abnormal brain development imo

true or not? What do you think?

Autistic persons have a world of their own, being unable to fully comprehend and connect with the real world.
Could this be due to a exagerated introversion

Not really. Arguably the most salient personality factor in low-functioning autistic folk is having little-to-no 'theory of mind', which means they experience consistently significant deficits in 1) general social awareness and 2) what other people are thinking/feeling. This has perhaps more to do with T/F--say, an extremely high (e.g. 99%) preference for Myers-Briggs thinking at the expense of 'feeling'--but you'd be better off consulting correlational research that deals with the scientifically-validated Big 5 personality model in relation to autism, if the possibility of temperamental contributors to autistic behavior is what you're primarily interested in.

I'm sure there's been neuroscientific work done to understand how autistic folks' brains differ from non-autistics', too, which could be similarly helpful--especially if studies have examined the brain regions specifically linked to the Big 5's five domains (or 30 sub-domains).

I know several extroverts with Autism. In fact we had this discussion a lot in the Autism support group I used to be in. There's a difference between introversion and having anxiety due to sensory issues. Sensory overloads can happen to anyone.

Autism isn't extroversion or introversion. Extroversion and Introversion are about how you expend/gain energy in an interaction. Extroverts feed off social interaction, introverts get drained by people bombarding their senses. As a result, introverts can be withdrawn and can be seen as awkward and aloof, but it's not because we're biologically incapable of interaction, we're out of practice because we're not used to it because we're not as interested in it as extroverts and less likely to engage in it. People with autism have an inability to communicate or recognize the outside world as we do. Where introverts choose to be locked inside their mind to recharge, people with autism frequently feel frustration with not being able to express themselves or comprehend the world around them. There is a disconnect between sensory and logical development, and they can be aware of this, though sometimes the sheer breakdown of communication inhibits that kind of understanding - sometimes there's just no way to communicate it to them.

An autistic person may be shy, withdrawn, and internally focused, but that's not because of whether or not socializing charges or drains them - it's because they're biologically forced inside and kept from reaching out. They may get tired from social interaction, but that's not necessarily because of people bombarding their senses, it's because of their own struggle to communicate with you (the source of the draining is different). Imagine trying to speak, but your mouth just won't make the words - or having a thought, but there's only this sound coming to mind and it's the same one over and over again, and so you keep making that noise hoping to get someone to pay attention and understand what you need, or seeing someone in pain and not being able to understand why they're crying, because faces and expressions just don't make sense to you. You might not be able to express it yourself or your brain's wired to express it in ways we don't comprehend. Imagine how you would develop if you couldn't communicate a single complex thought or complicated feeling you had. The horrifying thing about autism is that frequently they have the same inner world we do, and no way to show it. Obviously there's degrees of it and that would be an extreme, but people with autism are extremely brave and amazing to get to know and deserve to be understood.