Authentic Renoir found at yard sale, now being auctioned off | INFJ Forum

Authentic Renoir found at yard sale, now being auctioned off

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
A woman bought a box of stuff that included what she thought was a fake-Renoir, which turned out to be genuine. She's now auctioning it off for something like $100,000 US. Link.

What would you do, if you were not desperate for the money? (which I believe she's not.)
Would you keep it? Sell it? Donate it? Gift it?

I feel like quite the elitist, but every fibre in my body is screaming "keep it".

If I was not desperate for money I would still sell it and turn that 100K into 1 million via various investments.

I'd sell it. I couldn't handle the anxiety or responsibility of owning it.

if i didn't need the cash, i'd donate it to a museum because i can't have nice things.

I would sell it.

That'd be like...all of my projected student loans. Sold!

I'd sell it. I dont care to have an authentic renoit in life just yet, Id rather have $100,000 worth of other things.

@Radiant Shadow Your reason is so compelling!
Assuming your projected student loans were paid off (I know, sweet and amazing, right), and you didn't need the money, what might you decide?

otherwise, "but..but..but... it's ART! It's renown art!" scream my insides.
I think it's amazing if someone created something that is highly renown even centuries later. I suppose I attach meaning and value to that kind of skill. I think it's beautiful to be able to express oneself so impactfully, and to create such beauty. It really does speak to the higher dimensions of the human species. And to me, a Renoir would represent that, I guess.
And I rarely have guests. No one would have to know. ;)

Last edited:
Assuming your projected student loans were paid off (I know, sweet and amazing, right), and you didn't need the money, what might you decide?

I have a great, if amateur, appreciation for art. It is humanity given form, sharing the emotional purity of music. Possessing a piece of mastercraft and ageless purity would make me ecstatic! Being surrounded by things I consider to be pure expressions of the human condition is one of few aesthetic urges I indulge.

So being me, I would keep it. Bask in its origination. Use it as a catalyst for intellectual and personal growth for myself and any souls permitted into my home. (This would especially be the case for any progeny, who I ideally intend to teach myself if I have any.) I am quite functional: everything serves a purpose, anything can be a tool for instruction, contemplation, and appreciation of what it is to be human.

otherwise, "but..but..but... it's ART! It's renown art!" scream my insides.
I think it's amazing if someone created something that is highly renown even centuries later. I suppose I attach meaning and value to that kind of skill. I think it's beautiful to be able to express oneself so impactfully, and to create such beauty. It really does speak to the higher dimensions of the human species. And to me, a Renoir would represent that, I guess.
And I rarely have guests. No one would have to know. ;)

Yeah, but could you imagine every time you leave the house triple checking to make sure you unplugged the iron, checked the stove, checked the alarm, and made sure the coffee was off? I would need a triple dose of Luvox just to deal. ;)

I don't know, but as soon as I read the question my brain screamed "WHAT IF THE HOUSE BURNED DOWN, CINDY?!"

@CindyLou lol, yeah.. I hadn't thought of that stress. I understand the worry. But, as selfish as this might sound, I also leave things like my passport, birth certificate, SIN, cat, university degrees, and 18 years worth of journals at home. I guess with such odds I take a que sera, sera approach. Maybe that makes me reckless and selfish, but I think there is only so much we can worry about. Eventually, you just gotta let go and let the chips fall where they may. Do your best, but we can't control everything -- we're only human, after all. Anything could happen -- including nothing at all. :) Plus, the museum could burn down, as well! ;) less likely, but possible nonetheless.

Last edited: