at a tough point in my life | INFJ Forum

at a tough point in my life

sangheili90

Apr 13, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
I have introduced myself, as well as my story, on here before but I will do so again as it was several weeks ago.

My name is Justin, I am 23 years old and I consistently test as an INFJ. I was going to a local state university with the intention of going into the national guard and then ROTC to become an officer.....however those goals were derailed as I the flu I had back in December damaged my heart and I required a pacemaker. I had the pacemaker put in March 7th and I have been working, exercising and keeping busy for about 5-6 weeks now. This drama in my life forced me to reevaluate where I was going and I realized that right now it is going nowhere....literally. I have been working with my Father, who owns a taxi business in Boston, and renovating a house, something which I found out I enjoy very much....just the thought of creating something and turning an ugly house into something beautiful....I don't know I just enjoy it. Today my sister called me a loser because I switch my mind about my future, though she is still in h.s lol, but I am at the point in my life where I really need to make a decision.

-I showed interest in Radiological technology but lost interest for 2 reasons;
1. I can see myself being bored to death with over obsessive details about something I am not passionate with.
2. I have to wait until fall of 2014 before I can even get into any relatively local program, as I missed the deadlines.

The only reason I considered radiology is because it is a degree I could get in 2 years and make good money, around 60-80k here in Boston

-Nursing....seemed like a good option as it is a good paying job, with room for advancement and it involves helping others as well as interacting with a variety of individuals. However, I have no real passion for nursing necessarily and not sure if I should pursue it.

-Real estate investment/construction
I just enjoy it....I don't know.

I'm sorry to hear about your flu- that is scary. It is difficult to make a decision without going and seeing what things are like first. I have some advice on what you mentioned.

I know nothing about radiology, but I recommend looking into job advertisements at hospitals/health centers and seeing what the demand looks like and if the 2 year would be a good option or not. I'm guessing the 60-80k for 2 year people is only for those with a good deal of experience, so you would need to figure out how to get there.

Do not do nursing unless you have a passion for it. It is a very demanding job. Yes it is good salary and job security compared to other areas because the demand for nurses is growing, but you really have to be willing/able to put up with the shit people throw at you (sometimes literally). You also have to consider working in a hospital environment.

If you enjoy real estate and construction, it might be something to look into- either becoming a construction manager of some sort or perhaps a real estate agent. I don't know anything about becoming either, so find someone who does and speakwith them.

WOW. What happened to your heart was a real life changing thing for you. I know some people, including myself, that have gone through very similar life changing events. I couldn't even begin to describe what it takes to get through something like that. But I made it, and so did the people I know. Someone was telling me about a young woman who was an athlete, and had a pacemaker installed in her twenties, and then wrote a book about it. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the book or the author, but maybe you can find it online.

Yeah, I'd check out real estate also. My husband and I used to be involved in buying, fixing, and selling houses. We're both artistic so we loved the designing and remodeling part, and we both enjoy working with our hands. We've done some beautiful custom work in some of the houses we've owned. We almost hated to sell them. I also know some people who bought a large house and converted it into apartments. If I had to do it over again, I would get a real estate license and a general contractor license. One license handles building, and the other handles selling.

Good luck and take care.