Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
I was introduced to Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response videos recently. They're basically people whispering nonsense for hours, and making weird noises, like brushing clothes with a brush. Apparently some people find it soothing/stimulating, but I find it extremely annoying, like the person who whispers and fiddles with plastic bags during a movie.

There's asmr of people seducing, or reading shopping lists. There's even asmr of someone reading Hitler's speeches. Lol.

What is the appeal, or annoyance?

I was introduced to Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response videos recently. They're basically people whispering nonsense for hours, and making weird noises, like brushing clothes with a brush. Apparently some people find it soothing/stimulating, but I find it extremely annoying, like the person who whispers and fiddles with plastic bags during a movie.

There's asmr of people seducing, or reading shopping lists. There's even asmr of someone reading Hitler's speeches. Lol.

What is the appeal, or annoyance?

Look into Binaural Beats if you really want to experience ASMR.
Most of the ASMR videos on youtube are made for teenage boys to jack it to.
I would suggest somewhere around 4hz - 7hz, theta brainwave range.
Earphones are necessary for them to work.
(You should hear a different tone in each ear if you put one side in at a time if it’s a true Binaural Beat...if it pulses with only one in your ear it’s not a true Binaural Beat...it’s when the difference in the two tones combine that you hear the beat in your head. It’s the difference between the two tones that determine the Hz not the frequency as 4Hz is not in human hearing range)
You must find the place between sleeping and awake...body asleep, mind awake for it to happen.
Some hold a hand up and as they fall asleep it drops and wakes them...I find it much easier to just dial back my consciousness until I reach that point of almost falling asleep and then through practice hold it there until your body falls asleep....at which point you will begin to feel strange vibrations or ASMR.
It is my own belief that ASMR is the pre-out of body stage, but that’s debatable of course...the vibrations can feel good, can have an orgasmic quality to them sometimes.
They can be intense and almost uncomfortable occasionally too...most of the time they appear in the form of waves running through your body...sometimes emanating from your core outward.
You are also usually in a state of sleep paralysis which is disconcerting for some, you have to be okay with that and keep in mind it is momentary (sometimes as a reactionary move I will force my leg to kick out breaking the paralysis and breaking your trance)...you also can lose concentration because the sensations make one think that something is physically wrong with their body...the first time I thought my heart must have stopped or I wasn’t breathing which jolted me out of that state and of course I was perfectly fine...along with the vibrations come bizarre noises that can be very distracting the first few times and even occasionally after you have been practicing for a while...it’s very easy to come back to full consciousness and lose those sensations and noises.
Some noises....talking, yelling, music, piano, bangs, explosions, whooshes, etc - see - Exploding Head Syndrome...very similar in the way it sounds.
If you should ever reach this stage...I would encourage you to try and go out of body.
Imho it is possible as I have personally experienced it...though subjective, many besides myself have also experienced the same thing.
Whatever your beliefs as to why it happens (actuality or just in your mind), something does, though it takes a regular meditative practice imho.

I just put the videos on repeat for how ever long I want since it’s just an hour...you should expect at least 2 hours of your time.

Here is a good one.

Last edited:
I absolutely love ASMR. I had no idea that this feeling had a name until I tried to explain it on the forum a few years ago and was told that it was a real thing.

The feeling is difficult to describe. It's like having a mind orgasm, if that makes any sense. And it can be brought on by a few things (for me): a soft whispering voice, someone playing with my hair, or even someone being gently bossy with me. It's strange. It has the ability to make me feel like I am in a trance. I'm getting tingly just thinking about it.

As for the online videos, I do not enjoy most of them. But there are a couple that I like. @Serenity linked me one the other day that I enjoyed. I love when she is playing with the hair:

I love hair play too @Anywhere But Here . Especially when there is soft speaking involved. It's ear heaven.

This one. ❤️

giphy.gif

But hey, whatever soothes your soul eh?

^^^^
I agree that it is a real response...but I still think most of it is jack off material for teenage boys...it’s not hard to find sucking noises and other sexualized sounds under the ASMR heading.

^^^^
I agree that it is a real response...but I still think most of it is jack off material for teenage boys...it’s not hard to find sucking noises and other sexualized sounds under the ASMR heading.
Hadn't thought about that. But wouldn't the sound come from the wrong direction?

I.e. someone making "real" loud slurpy noises next to your ears. That's a whole other range of weirdness.

Reactions: Skarekrow
LOVE it, ASMR has given me countless hours of relaxation. I got into sleep hypnosis mp3s like 15 years ago, and I discovered ASMR like 6 or 7 years ago, and while I agree its kind of strange at 1st, but if you listen with headphones in the dark you can definitely get tingles and reduce stress. I dont like too much talking type of videos, I like face massages or straight razor shaving videos. If youre interested I highly suggest:

Massage ASMR, Gentlewhispering, ASMRrequests, and Ephemeral Rift. On Youtube.

LOVE it, ASMR has given me countless hours of relaxation. I got into sleep hypnosis mp3s like 15 years ago, and I discovered ASMR like 6 or 7 years ago, and while I agree its kind of strange at 1st, but if you listen with headphones in the dark you can definitely get tingles and reduce stress. I dont like too much talking type of videos, I like face massages or straight razor shaving videos. If youre interested I highly suggest:

Massage ASMR, Gentlewhispering, ASMRrequests, and Ephemeral Rift. On Youtube.

Headphones are definitely a plus. Won't listen without them.

@Horatio wants to share his input,so I will post it here:

it wasnt the noise by itself that triggered it [ASMR] tho
it was cause the lady was acting all hot and seductive
bit of a cop-out
basically
i liked it but then i realized i was getting turned on by a woman talking about nonsense
so basically it works- for me- by literally turning me on which makes me more sensitive to any sensation
including the dumb noises she was making

I've mo clue what ASMR is, other than the descriptions from first hand users in this forum.

Ironically, I am in a new living situation. At my age and whole lifestyle it is a challenge, however, the past couple of weeks I have really chastised myself over feeling an almost ANGER response, from my "housemate". I am staying at a family members home temporarily, having moved across country from CA to the midwest. The housemate is 20 years older than I. Grew up and has lived in the midwest all his life. Has been alone (home sales, and single for many many year, and before that on the road in sales) I always thought him a "nice man". But I saw first hand his lack of social "skills" .. and our clear generation gap. I immediately saw his true core in this situation.

DISENCHANTED.

anyway .... he speaks to the dogs in a creepy, whispering, unevolved female like way. I have an unusual hearing ability. My sister is deaf. Learned to listen to everything at a very very young age (we are 18 months apart, she older). It's like nails on a chalk board. I would rather listen to a colic baby, couple doing the ugly rough bumping, ANYTHING besides this creepy weird, feminine, whispering, baby/sexy talk with the dogs!!!! I want to punch him!! STFU ... it's really bad.

well my family member disclosed to me that her husband finds his face being lightly touched, creepy! Guess what, he is the older roomies kid!

My family member craves light touch to her face when she has anxiety or having trouble relaxing.

I'm guessing my answer would be definitively - GROSS ANNOYING NO - WEIRD BEYOND INTERESTING. But my opinion has been driven by the whole whispering shit, of strange superficial actions that I don't ordinarly notice or care about.

It's the TOUCH - THE ACTUAL EXPERIENCE - THE REAL that is soothing ... otherwise - NO

Sowwwwwwy .... OP.

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
I agree, headphones is definitely a must in order to get the full benefit/sensation. Tried it once - it doesn't appeal to me...found it creepy, annoying and irritating.

It reminds me of that feeling I used to get when my uncle touched me in my no-no place - creepy, yet oddly arousing.

I can imagine that if you watch the videos of the people doing the ASMR stuff, that some people may find it strange.
I personally don't watch the videos, but I just listen to the sounds and I find them absolutely relaxing. Not all ASMR videos are great though.

I listen to videos that have hair brushing sounds, whispers in foreign languages (done by people with soft voices, some people just don't have the right voice for this), and tapping sounds.