Ask a favour

wolly.green

Permanent Fixture
Jul 20, 2016
MBTI
ENTP
Enneagram
4w5
Hi everyone! Its been a while since I've posted here! And I'm back because I need some help. I've just finished writing a few paragraphs for a video I'm about to make, and I want to know whether it makes senses. Is it easy to read or completely convoluted? Thanks so much for your input.

Start!

Starting in the Renaissance, bourgeois high art began to romanticize, even fetishize Platos theory of ideal forms. It was believed that real life is nothing but a shadow. A hollow, incomplete copy of an invisible higher reality. Thus the goal of an artist is not to copy from real life, but rather to peer beyond and press his canvas against the ideal figures of this unseen world. Michelangelo's art captured the human form by pressing his canvas against these ideal figures, thus endowing them with astonishingly large Herculean muscles. This all changed in the nineteenth century however, with the emergence of artistic realism. The greatest champion for realism, Gustave Courbet, believe that painting should not represent ideal forms, but rather should depict reality as it is seen. Realism revolted against idealism, which was perceived as exaggerating the tacky emotionalism and drama of the Renaissance era. It sought to portray real people and situations with truth and accuracy, and not avoid the unpleasant, sordid aspects of everyday life. Since the rise of abstract approaches in modern art however, realism has now become just one of many stylistic approaches to art!

Artistic realism is a style that attempts to depict reality truthfully without being shallow or artificial. But what exactly is meant by truthful here? A treatise could easily full a small library with philosophical and artistic texts! But instead of diving right in, I want to entertain just one possible interpretation! A piece of art is said to follow realism when all elements within are as realistic as possible. That is, a painting is realistic not only if it depicts something that actually exists, but also if all the details within are as similar to the actual thing as possible. A painting of a flower is realistic if the flower actually exists and if the painting looks exactly like it! Now we can ask an interesting question: how realistic can we make the flower painting? Well, we could imagine developing a new batch of paints that better reflect the colours and textures of actual flowers! We could incorperate or even invent entirely new brush stroke techniques that allow us to paint the small details like veins and pigments that run along a pedals surface. We could even imagine adding a thickening agent so that the paint clumps together into 3 dimensional textures. Whatever improvements we can think of, the answer to the question "how realistic can we make a flower painting" is: as realistic as our knowledge and experience of flowers and paintings will allow. The more knowledge we collect about flowers, paints, paint brushes and various other artistic techniques, the more realistic we can make it. But so what? We already knew that from the start? True, but that isn't the point. The point is that no matter how much knowledge we collect, no matter how detailed our painting becomes, it will never actually become a flower. There will always be details within an actual flower that we can NEVER capture. This is important because knowledge in general has the same characteristic. No matter how much we refine a theory, no matter how long we work on it, a theory never becomes the thing it explains. There are always details in reality that we miss!

Physics is often advertised as the poster boy for humanities deepest, most fundamental store of knowledge. If only there was enough computer power in the world, we could use physics to derive everything that there is to know about the universe! That's how fantastically deep it is! Right? Thank god the field of physics has matured past such juvenile ideas! There are a ton of reasons why they're not even remotely true! And we now know that one of the reasons is that theories are not the things they explain! A theory that describes a law of physics is not a law of physics itself, so there will always be details in reality that we miss. And this remains true no matter how much we refine our scientific techniques! One important and unavoidable consequence of imperfect knowledge is that no matter how hard we try, it is impossible to plan and compensate for every conceivable problem. No matter how meticulously we plan for the future, there will always be something we miss. This may come as difficult, and even terrifying to accept. But the real magnitude of this blindness to the future can be seen to viseral affect when considering the consequences for progress in science.

Again, thank you so much!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Its been a while since I've posted here! And I'm back because I need some help. I've just finished writing a few paragraphs for a video I'm about to make, and I want to know whether it makes senses. Is it easy to read or completely convoluted? Thanks so much for your input.

Start!

Starting in the Renaissance, bourgeois high art began to romanticize, even fetishize Platos theory of ideal forms. It was believed that real life is nothing but a shadow. A hollow, incomplete copy of an invisible higher reality. Thus the goal of an artist is not to copy from real life, but rather to peer beyond and press his canvas against the ideal figures of this unseen world. Michelangelo's art captured the human form by pressing his canvas against these ideal figures, thus endowing them with astonishingly large Herculean muscles. This all changed in the nineteenth century however, with the emergence of artistic realism. The greatest champion for realism, Gustave Courbet, believe that painting should not represent ideal forms, but rather should depict reality as it is seen. Realism revolted against idealism, which was perceived as exaggerating the tacky emotionalism and drama of the Renaissance era. It sought to portray real people and situations with truth and accuracy, and not avoid the unpleasant, sordid aspects of everyday life. Since the rise of abstract approaches in modern art however, realism has now become just one of many stylistic approaches to art!

Artistic realism is a style that attempts to depict reality truthfully without being shallow or artificial. But what exactly is meant by truthful here? A treatise could easily full a small library with philosophical and artistic texts! But instead of diving right in, I want to entertain just one possible interpretation! A piece of art is said to follow realism when all elements within are as realistic as possible. That is, a painting is realistic not only if it depicts something that actually exists, but also if all the details within are as similar to the actual thing as possible. A painting of a flower is realistic if the flower actually exists and if the painting looks exactly like it! Now we can ask an interesting question: how realistic can we make the flower painting? Well, we could imagine developing a new batch of paints that better reflect the colours and textures of actual flowers! We could incorperate or even invent entirely new brush stroke techniques that allow us to paint the small details like veins and pigments that run along a pedals surface. We could even imagine adding a thickening agent so that the paint clumps together into 3 dimensional textures. Whatever improvements we can think of, the answer to the question "how realistic can we make a flower painting" is: as realistic as our knowledge and experience of flowers and paintings will allow. The more knowledge we collect about flowers, paints, paint brushes and various other artistic techniques, the more realistic we can make it. But so what? We already knew that from the start? True, but that isn't the point. The point is that no matter how much knowledge we collect, no matter how detailed our painting becomes, it will never actually become a flower. There will always be details within an actual flower that we can NEVER capture. This is important because knowledge in general has the same characteristic. No matter how much we refine a theory, no matter how long we work on it, a theory never becomes the thing it explains. There are always details in reality that we miss!

Physics is often advertised as the poster boy for humanities deepest, most fundamental store of knowledge. If only there was enough computer power in the world, we could use physics to derive everything that there is to know about the universe! That's how fantastically deep it is! Right? Thank god the field of physics has matured past such juvenile ideas! There are a ton of reasons why they're not even remotely true! And we now know that one of the reasons is that theories are not the things they explain! A theory that describes a law of physics is not a law of physics itself, so there will always be details in reality that we miss. And this remains true no matter how much we refine our scientific techniques! One important and unavoidable consequence of imperfect knowledge is that no matter how hard we try, it is impossible to plan and compensate for every conceivable problem. No matter how meticulously we plan for the future, there will always be something we miss. This may come as difficult, and even terrifying to accept. But the real magnitude of this blindness to the future can be seen to viseral affect when considering the consequences for progress in science.

Again, thank you so much!

Hi wolly,

I think your text is pretty clear but it would help a lot if you cut it up in more paragraphs. Try maybe to follow the old saying "One paragraph per idea?"

It's pretty dense text to begin with so if you add to that long paragraphs, it adds a formal difficulty that could easily be disposed of. That's just one very simple way to make things easier for the reader.

Another thing is: although I understood everything straightaway, and very much enjoyed what I read, I'm not sure what your point is. Will your point be made clear by the movie that the text is meant to accompany?

Hi wolly,

I think your text is pretty clear but it would help a lot if you cut it up in more paragraphs. Try maybe to follow the old saying "One paragraph per idea?"

It's pretty dense text to begin with so if you add to that long paragraphs, it adds a formal difficulty that could easily be disposed of. That's just one very simple way to make things easier for the reader.

Another thing is: although I understood everything straightaway, and very much enjoyed what I read, I'm not sure what your point is. Will your point be made clear by the movie that the text is meant to accompany?

Hey thanks so much for your input. When you say "if you add to that long paragraphs, it adds a formal difficulty that could easily be disposed of", is this just a follow on from what you said about splitting up paragraphs?

Also it's part of a book I'm writing about AI. Because im terrible at communicating and getting projects started I was advised to try and make small videos. That way I have small goals to work towards.

Hey thanks so much for your input. When you say "if you add to that long paragraphs, it adds a formal difficulty that could easily be disposed of", is this just a follow on from what you said about splitting up paragraphs?

Also it's part of a book I'm writing about AI. Because im terrible at communicating and getting projects started I was advised to try and make small videos. That way I have small goals to work towards.

I think that's great advice! :) And I loved the example you gave of trying to give a realistic representation of a flower, and all the ensuing complications associated with the concept of a realistic representation. And the parallel with scientific theories. It's all very well done and very clear.

Yeah, it was a follow on from what I said about splitting up paragraphs. The gist of it is: what you're tackling is dense in itself, content-wise, so you can only make as accessible as can be. But you can definitely work around the form/presentation (like splitting up in more paragraphs) to make the content easier to digest. It's a little bit like having to breathe after a great effort. Maybe with your text one needs to breathe more often because it's dense in content, as if it were a mountainous race ;)

When I say that it's not clear what your point is, I mean that it's not clear what you want to show. What your agenda is.

I think that's great advice! :) And I loved the example you gave of trying to give a realistic representation of a flower, and all the ensuing complications associated with the concept of a realistic representation. And the parallel with scientific theories. It's all very well done and very clear.

Yeah, it was a follow on from what I said about splitting up paragraphs. The gist of it is: what you're tackling is dense in itself, content-wise, so you can only make as accessible as can be. But you can definitely work around the form/presentation (like splitting up in more paragraphs) to make the content easier to digest. It's a little bit like having to breathe after a great effort. Maybe with your text one needs to breathe more often because it's dense in content, as if it were a mountainous race ;)

When I say that it's not clear what your point is, I mean that it's not clear what you want to show. What your agenda is.

Thanks so much for your input! I think you're right, so I'll break down the content a little bit more.

My agenda is to show why AI is not as dangerous as we think.

Reactions: Gaze and Ren
@wolly.green, I agree with what @Ren says, so here's some other thoughts. I've read through your text a couple of times quickly, which probably reflects how much time anyone would spend reading the cover notes of a video. The message that came through to me is that reality is emphatically more complex than anything we can do to represent it, whether in art or science. There are always going to be surprises out there for us - things we didn't anticipate and shouldn't expect to. This is not a comfortable insight for us. Then you leave it on a cliff-hanger about where science may lead us to unexpectedly.

I didn't guess that AI was your agenda because your text is very generalised, but that would presumably be obvious from the title of your video. Your text certainly does not fill me with preliminary confidence that AI is harmless - a bit of the opposite in fact. But that may be a good lead in - create a bit of tension and uncertainty then resolve it in the video. I think you should be explicit about how these points relate to AI in your text unless you are specifically wanting to be cryptic - people are so used to sound-byte media that they will expect it and may not be willing to make the connections themselves.

Reactions: Ren and wolly.green
@wolly.green, I agree with what @Ren says, so here's some other thoughts. I've read through your text a couple of times quickly, which probably reflects how much time anyone would spend reading the cover notes of a video. The message that came through to me is that reality is emphatically more complex than anything we can do to represent it, whether in art or science. There are always going to be surprises out there for us - things we didn't anticipate and shouldn't expect to. This is not a comfortable insight for us. Then you leave it on a cliff-hanger about where science may lead us to unexpectedly.

I didn't guess that AI was your agenda because your text is very generalised, but that would presumably be obvious from the title of your video. Your text certainly does not fill me with preliminary confidence that AI is harmless - a bit of the opposite in fact. But that may be a good lead in - create a bit of tension and uncertainty then resolve it in the video. I think you should be explicit about how these points relate to AI in your text unless you are specifically wanting to be cryptic - people are so used to sound-byte media that they will expect it and may not be willing to make the connections themselves.

Hi John! Thanks for your input. The whole text is waaay longer than what I posted here. Its just that this part was the hardest to write. So i wanted to be sure you could understand.

Reactions: Ren and John K
Hi John! Thanks for your input. The whole text is waaay longer than what I posted here. Its just that this part was the hardest to write. So i wanted to be sure you could understand.

Aha! That explains it. I’d be very interested to see your video when it’s ready. I sometimes think that we don’t see life elsewhere in the universe because it’s in silico and they are all waiting for us to invent our evolutionary successors! Everyday paranoia and all nonsense of course. I think it far more likely we’ll be able to link AI to our own brains and minds and expand ourselves to unimaginable levels of consciousnesses. That’s if we don’t use it to bury ourselves into a virtual reality of hedonism. Fascinating stuff - lots of lovely ideas to play with. Good luck with your video.

Reactions: wolly.green and Ren
Aha! That explains it. I’d be very interested to see your video when it’s ready. I sometimes think that we don’t see life elsewhere in the universe because it’s in silico and they are all waiting for us to invent our evolutionary successors! Everyday paranoia and all nonsense of course. I think it far more likely we’ll be able to link AI to our own brains and minds and expand ourselves to unimaginable levels of consciousnesses. That’s if we don’t use it to bury ourselves into a virtual reality of hedonism. Fascinating stuff - lots of lovely ideas to play with. Good luck with your video.

I agree with everything other than the fact that AI will take over the world. I'm creating a video series that will refute that idea. But yeah, brain AI merging is obvious. We already do it anyway. What do you think reading is? If you mean downloading straight into your mind though, that's a waste of your time. Its hard to justify here, so I hope I get around to it in my videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: John K
I prefer artistic idealism to artistic realism, presuming that the ideals that we present in our art are likely attainable in reality. It's never too late to better ourselves.

Look for the silver-lining.

Personally, I don't think they're all that different. Painting any kind of art requires some degree of idealization. Even with realistic art, you need to decide what is worth painting and what isn't.